Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

LA Times writer witnessed Kobe copter crash

Comments

• Options
    MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 37,781
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam

Here's my opinion on it. Everyone struggles in life, everyone loses loved ones. Tragic for the young girl and other families. Kobe was lotteried talent at birth. Life changing talent that he did some good with and some bad things with. We all do what we can with what we have and make mistakes and contributions. To put more emphasis on a star athletes death or famous person's death is fucking stupid. He's no more deserving of being missed because he was great at basketball than anyone else should be. Mourn those close to yourself they're the ones who are Important. Rally around your own the rest should do the same.

Ice gets it.
  • Options
    ntxduckntxduck Member Posts: 5,515
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment

Here's my opinion on it. Everyone struggles in life, everyone loses loved ones. Tragic for the young girl and other families. Kobe was lotteried talent at birth. Life changing talent that he did some good with and some bad things with. We all do what we can with what we have and make mistakes and contributions. To put more emphasis on a star athletes death or famous person's death is fucking stupid. He's no more deserving of being missed because he was great at basketball than anyone else should be. Mourn those close to yourself they're the ones who are Important. Rally around your own the rest should do the same.

The more famous person has had a bigger impact on the world, therefore they get more emphasis. Seems pretty normal and fair to me.
    Maybe. Of course it big news when a celebrity dies. Especially when they are relatively young. But in the age of social media people are even more likely to attempt to "insert" themselves into the event. Like starting Facebook threads and people offering condolences is a meaningless way and in a way no one actually suffering from the tragedy will ever see. It's essentially just more narcissism in an increasing look at me world.
    Yup. Grief clout. Happens every 9/11 too. It’s disgusting
  • Options
    DooglesDoogles Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 12,472
    Swaye's Wigwam

The more famous person has had a bigger impact on the world, therefore they get more emphasis. Seems pretty normal and fair to me.
    It's seems like it shouldn't be that hard to grasp. How many jerseys has Kobe sold over his career? Shoes? "Kobe" shots of paper into the trash?

Yes social media is a tool for narcissists, but there is a reason sports are a billion dollar business and this many care.

It's not that his life is more valuable, it's that his life imprinted on a lot more people than the pilot or the other coaches.
  • Options
    MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 37,781
    Swaye's Wigwam

Maybe. Of course it big news when a celebrity dies. Especially when they are relatively young. But in the age of social media people are even more likely to attempt to "insert" themselves into the event. Like starting Facebook threads and people offering condolences is a meaningless way and in a way no one actually suffering from the tragedy will ever see. It's essentially just more narcissism in an increasing look at me world.
    So much this...

For example:

Game, set and match
  • Options
    SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,062
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
    HuskyJW said:

I was at Costco buying a tv

Got the $1.50 hot dog like a boss. Treated the whole family to lunch. Wife got a smoothie instead.....bitch

Heard the news at the food court. Yelled out “FUCK!” Some guy says....”oh you heard about Kobe too?”

“No... deli mustard is out. Have to use yellow mustard like a poor.”

#wherewereyouwhenkobedied

Your best effort ever and it will never be topped.
  • Options
    SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,062
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
    edited January 2020
    The day Chris Farley died impacted me way more than Kobe. And Harambe. I'm still recovering from that one.
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,328
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Swaye said:

Houhusky said:

Houhusky said:

"it was a foggy morning, with visibility at less than 60 feet."

"Using binoculars, I was able to see the aircraft had been torn apart and was on fire."

ok.gif

My buddy is a pilot for Alaska and did a Sea-San Diego flight around the same time and he said he couldn’t see shit and was a little scared himself. When he landed he learned Kobe died in a very similar place to where he lost visibility.

Should I call Alaska HR? Guys flying 737s aren’t allowed to get even a little scared.
    You would be scared too if you were at cruising altitude somewhere between 20,000 - 30,000 feet and were suddenly in a deep marine layer fog that maxes out at roughly 5,000 feet.
    Of course, I'd be scared shitless. I don't have thousands of hours of training and I don't know how all the instruments and systems work that are designed to keep the plane flying safely through zero visibility. I leave these things to the professionals who aren't allowed to be scared.
    Yella gets it.
    I'm not sure I am comfortable with the thought of you having access to a plane.
    He doesn't need to learn how to land so there's that
  • Options
    YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,909
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    We usually stay at a resort in Newport Beach adjacent to the development where Kobe lived. Apparently, he used to go to the same grocery store I frequent to stock up the 2 bedroom suite with booze and meals.

I drove up to @UW_Doog_Bot 's house once on the 405. No helicopter. Shitty Jeep rental car. Life's hard.
  • Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,833
    I cried when they shot Ol Yeller.

And when Brian Picholo died.

That’s about it.
  • Options
    UW_Doog_BotUW_Doog_Bot Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 14,237
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Kobe was the basketball icon of my youth. I'd wager I have more invested memories of watching him play than anyone on the boreds. Still the #1 thing that hit me when I heard about this is how awful it had to be to go down in a helicopter with your daughter knowing there's nothing you can do.

As you assholes eloquently pointed out I'm not really interested in the social media virtue signaling circle jerk about this event. Was stuck in the hospital yesterday watching ESPN on repeat and the coverage was so contrived that I wanted to throw a shoe at the TV Iraqi style.

Kobe and by proxy his daughter are going to get more coverage purely because Kobe touched more lives. More people are there to give a shit bc they have a direct memory of him. It's just that simple. Same goes for anyone else of note vs. one of us basement dwellers. That's the world.

Irregardless, Kobe had the potential to do a lot more good in this world than the bad he had done. It sucks that we all lost that.
  • Options
    YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,909
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam

We usually stay at a resort in Newport Beach adjacent to the development where Kobe lived. Apparently, he used to go to the same grocery store I frequent to stock up the 2 bedroom suite with booze and meals.

I drove up to @UW_Doog_Bot 's house once on the 405. No helicopter. Shitty Jeep rental car. Life's hard.

Pavilions? I had a friend that lived on the beach by the boardwalk area and there was nowhere to park. So I parked at Pavillions. I went on a weekend bender and eventually made my way back to the parking lot where my car was just about to get towed. Tow truck driver was just starting to load it up. I got there just in time. CSB.
    Pavillions up on Newport Coast Drive past Pelican Hill Resort. It's Safeway for rich people.
  • Options
    HuskyJWHuskyJW Guest, Member Posts: 14,183
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes

So much this...

For example:

If Kobe Fucking Bryant is an Angel in Heaven with what he did....I have a free pass to the front of the line and am not worried in the least