Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

LA Times writer witnessed Kobe copter crash

Comments

• Options
    jecorneljecornel Member Posts: 9,592
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Standard Supporter
    All the families impacted, having to see all the coverage and images....Can't even imagine. The pain has to be unimaginable and the terror the young kids had to endure on that flight just sickens me. The young children that lost a parent? There is nothing worse. The nonstop coverage of the event will make all impacted have to relive it every time. Learning more about Kobe's bond with his daughter Gianna and the time spent together experiencing their passion together? To have that taken away in such a brutal ruthless event is hard to fathom.

Steve Gleason had some heartfelt messages the last few days about loving relentlessly.
  • Options
    HouhuskyHouhusky Member Posts: 5,537
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

Houhusky said:

"it was a foggy morning, with visibility at less than 60 feet."

"Using binoculars, I was able to see the aircraft had been torn apart and was on fire."

ok.gif

My buddy is a pilot for Alaska and did a Sea-San Diego flight around the same time and he said he couldn’t see shit and was a little scared himself. When he landed he learned Kobe died in a very similar place to where he lost visibility.

Should I call Alaska HR? Guys flying 737s aren’t allowed to get even a little scared.
    You would be scared too if you were at cruising altitude somewhere between 20,000 - 30,000 feet and were suddenly in a deep marine layer fog that maxes out at roughly 5,000 feet.
  • Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,861

Tequilla said:

Tequilla said:

EwaDawg said:

Tequilla said:

It doesn’t matter at this point

What matters is families were ripped apart at their core

And way down the pecking order the world of basketball lost an influencer that had the power to influence both men’s and women’s basketball going forward in a profound way

For as great as Kobe was on the court ... he held the power to be a greater influence off of it

It’s beyond a sad day ...

And fuck anybody that wants to come out with a “I seen it” perspective

Precisely why I can't figure out why anyone would say the day Magic retired was a sadder day.

You know anyone who tweeted that?

I can’t speak to anyone’s age

In 1991 HIV was a death sentence ...

Magic was an active player coming off a trip to the Finals ...

Kobe was retired ...

I’m gutted by all the children involved as it’s beyond horrible

I don’t know how you compare the two ...

I wasn’t yet a teenager for Magic ... I’m in my 40s for Kobe ... maybe that’s jading me a bit

Both are monumental you know were you were hearing the news ... I was and am deeply impacted all day ... I will be for a while

This is so devastating on so many levels ...

Magic’s announcement taught me be careful who you sleep with ...

Kobe is a flat out tragedy ...

What am I supposed to think?

Fuck you for in any way suggesting that my feelings are right, wrong, or anything in between

This sucks ... and I’ve been hurting all day ... and I will be hurting for a while

It’s just bad ... so so bad
    there's no need to compare the two
    They are all tragic events

But go ahead and post thoughts of those who really don’t know but are entertainers

If that’s your takeaway ... you don’t fucking get it

But that’s not that surprising
    There's no need to compare the two. They are both tragic events.
    Magic's was stunning. Groundbreaking to the extent the AIDs crisis hit a 'normal' person.

Kobe's was just plain sadness. And to me, it wasn't just Kobe - it was the fact his daughter was with him.

Two separate matters not really comparable.

• Options
    PurpleBazePurpleBaze Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 29,488
    Founders Club

Tequilla said:

Tequilla said:

EwaDawg said:

Tequilla said:

And way down the pecking order the world of basketball lost an influencer that had the power to influence both men’s and women’s basketball going forward in a profound way

For as great as Kobe was on the court ... he held the power to be a greater influence off of it

Precisely why I can't figure out why anyone would say the day Magic retired was a sadder day.

Kobe was retired ...

I wasn’t yet a teenager for Magic ... I’m in my 40s for Kobe ... maybe that’s jading me a bit

Both are monumental you know were you were hearing the news ... I was and am deeply impacted all day ... I will be for a while

Fuck you for in any way suggesting that my feelings are right, wrong, or anything in between

This sucks ... and I’ve been hurting all day ... and I will be hurting for a while

But go ahead and post thoughts of those who really don’t know but are entertainers

Magic's was stunning. Groundbreaking to the extent the AIDs crisis hit a 'normal' person.

Kobe's was just plain sadness. And to me, it wasn't just Kobe - it was the fact his daughter was with him.

Without question. Simple fact. Case closed. End of discussion.
  • Options
    1to392831weretaken1to392831weretaken Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,310
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

Tequilla said:

Gladstone said:

umm what

teq there's no comparison even if we go with the whole HIV is a death sentence angle

no comparison

The comparison was never about the events being better or worse

The comparison was in the never forget where you were ... time stands still ... just total feeling of emptiness
    I've already forgotten where I was.
    I was getting a #1 and #5 from Jimmy John's and @PurpleBaze sexted me. I was like, "oh okay...bummer man" and grabbed my sammies.
    I was taking a #2 when I sexted you.
    Criminally underchinned.
  • Options
    Miley_CyrusMiley_Cyrus Member Posts: 793
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment

Gladstone said:

umm what

teq there's no comparison even if we go with the whole HIV is a death sentence angle

no comparison

For real. A cancer diagnosis with a year to live isn’t even the same.
    A truly all time trash Tequilla take.
  • Options
    1to392831weretaken1to392831weretaken Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,310
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

Houhusky said:

Houhusky said:

"Using binoculars, I was able to see the aircraft had been torn apart and was on fire."

ok.gif

My buddy is a pilot for Alaska and did a Sea-San Diego flight around the same time and he said he couldn’t see shit and was a little scared himself. When he landed he learned Kobe died in a very similar place to where he lost visibility.

Should I call Alaska HR? Guys flying 737s aren’t allowed to get even a little scared.
    You would be scared too if you were at cruising altitude somewhere between 20,000 - 30,000 feet and were suddenly in a deep marine layer fog that maxes out at roughly 5,000 feet.
    Of course, I'd be scared shitless. I don't have thousands of hours of training and I don't know how all the instruments and systems work that are designed to keep the plane flying safely through zero visibility. I leave these things to the professionals who aren't allowed to be scared.
    I think you're missing his point/joke that you'd be scared shitless if your plane was <5,000 feet off the ground instead of the expected 30,000 feet.
  • Options
    creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,743
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic
    HuskyJW said:

Houhusky said:

ok.gif

Sexist much?
    JDub (I like to call him JDub; IWILTD) on fire today in his own right!
  • Options
    YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,938
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam

Houhusky said:

Houhusky said:

ok.gif

Of course, I'd be scared shitless. I don't have thousands of hours of training and I don't know how all the instruments and systems work that are designed to keep the plane flying safely through zero visibility. I leave these things to the professionals who aren't allowed to be scared.
    I doubt he was really scared. I didn’t press much about it and the texts were more about Kobe and the visibility issue was a quick text.

I think it was just because he found out after the fact that Kobe crashed in a similar are. He just said he couldn’t see shit at all and the flying conditions sucked.

I know you guys really care so I just wanted to clear things up for you guys. You try reading my text messages for a day.
    I don't think he was scared IRL. But some of us here really think and care and about aviation safety.
  • Options
    BasemanBaseman Member Posts: 12,365
    edited January 2020

Tequilla said:

Tequilla said:

EwaDawg said:

Tequilla said:

Kobe was retired ...

We’re really pretending like Magic wasn’t fucking dudes or trannies?
    Ever see Tragic Johnson in Diana Jones in the Temple of Poon?
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs

Tequilla said:

Tequilla said:

EwaDawg said:

Tequilla said:

Kobe was retired ...

No question ... the only thing comparable was just how sudden and shocking the news was.

Reggie Miller talked tonight about it being a moment in time that is a "shake moment" where so many (even those that could care less about basketball) are shaken to their core. He cited Lady Di's death. I'm sure for an older generation hearing about John Lennon's death likely fell in this range. Hearing stories from teacher's etc growing up about JFK's death and everybody knowing where they were with the news.

A lot of people have had a lot of things to say ... but this is one that has made the most sense to me. It's so hard to comprehend in so many ways. It's so unbelievable that it has shook so many to the bones. Families are forever impacted.

It's easy to cite all of the influence that Kobe could have impacted going forward (and he likely would have had a huge impact). Few are talking about John Altobelli and the influence that he has had in the California baseball community. But that's not what gets me ...

It's that 3 young girls, with all of their hopes and dreams ahead of them, will not have the opportunity to pursue those dreams. That's heartbreaking.
  • Options

Gladstone said:

umm what

no comparison

For real. A cancer diagnosis with a year to live isn’t even the same.
    A truly all time trash Tequilla take.
    Might as well throw Bill Simmons in there with me ... he said essentially everything I said

But it's ok ... for some no matter what I say you'll find some way to tear it apart
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Tequilla said:

Tequilla said:

Tequilla said:

EwaDawg said:

Tequilla said:

Kobe was retired ...

No question ... the only thing comparable was just how sudden and shocking the news was.

Reggie Miller talked tonight about it being a moment in time that is a "shake moment" where so many (even those that could care less about basketball) are shaken to their core. He cited Lady Di's death. I'm sure for an older generation hearing about John Lennon's death likely fell in this range. Hearing stories from teacher's etc growing up about JFK's death and everybody knowing where they were with the news.

A lot of people have had a lot of things to say ... but this is one that has made the most sense to me. It's so hard to comprehend in so many ways. It's so unbelievable that it has shook so many to the bones. Families are forever impacted.

It's easy to cite all of the influence that Kobe could have impacted going forward (and he likely would have had a huge impact). Few are talking about John Altobelli and the influence that he has had in the California baseball community. But that's not what gets me ...

It's that 3 young girls, with all of their hopes and dreams ahead of them, will not have the opportunity to pursue those dreams. That's heartbreaking.
    Come on dude.
  • Options

Tequilla said:

Tequilla said:

Tequilla said:

EwaDawg said:

Tequilla said:

Kobe was retired ...

Come on dude.
    Enlightening
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Tequilla said:

Tequilla said:

Tequilla said:

Tequilla said:

EwaDawg said:

Tequilla said:

Kobe was retired ...

Come on dude.
    Enlightening
    Just as enlightening as saying three young, talented girls dying is tragic. We know that.