Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

What American town have you ever felt the most unsafe?

Comments

• Options
    GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,481
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter

Besides my hometown?

Everett. This was ten years ago, so I’m sure things have changed, but I thought it was sketchy as hell.

Oh, and Detroit. Even the airport felt unsafe.

There are some really shitty parts of Everett. The intersection of Everett Ave & Broadway is probably the largest, most consistent, and most pathetic collection of bums & crazies in SnoCo.
  • Options
    HHuskyHHusky Member Posts: 19,161
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Elevated rail in Chicago.
  • Options
    BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,510
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club

Atlanta can get sketchy real quick.

Check on New Orleans. Stick tightly to the chamber of commerce trail map for tourists or you're asking for it.

Not what they once were, but Overtown, Liberty City or Carol City in Miami. Back in the day, there was nothing like it. They've softened a bit, but I still would not be caught walking through even in daylight.

NY - uh, none of the boroughs are tuff anymore. None.

Lolz for any mention of anything Seattle. Tuffest neighborhood in the NW is Hilltop baby. Ask Ballz. Seattle is like Disney World compared to most US cities.

Worst I've experienced? Wandering off the campus of the University of Chicago. South Side baby! It ain't no joke.

South side of Chicago is a war zone. Chi-Raq is a real thing. Took a cab to a Bulls game that went through that area. Prayed to real God every time we got stopped at a red light.

Atlantic City, NJ was pretty grimy a block off the main strip 15 years back. Definitely had some people giving me and a buddy some dirty looks.

Philly is an absolute dump outside of the historic / downtown areas. Would not recommend anyone visit that city.

NYC was really not that bad.

Seattle is not anywhere near the level of those areas, and it's because of demographics. Worst place is probably downtown at this point.
  • Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,854
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    USMChawk said:

New Orleans. Went to a couple of bars, off Bourbon Street, and had the unpleasant conversation with a group of men who were just sizing us up. You know the one where everyone pretends we’re all friends here, while we decide if we’re going to kill you? Three of us (all Marines) and five of them. We were drunk (but not that drunk) but we all had combat experience. Even so, we had no weapons so the end result would have been us losing. But, and this is the important part, we would have gotten ours. I know the exact moment that dawned on them because the tone changed and we were on our way.

Stay out of the pie shaped triangle from Poydras to Esplanade and you're good in NOLA. Pro tip.

If that doesn't work, lie and tell them you're Steve Gleasons cousin visiting from the Northwest. They love their Gleason there.

If he dies, you're pretty well fucked.
  • Options
    YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,931
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Row boat natty used to happen in Camden, NJ. I can remember sitting in the van thinking cool fucking city man.
  • Options
    GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,481
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter

Check on New Orleans. Stick tightly to the chamber of commerce trail map for tourists or you're asking for it.

Not what they once were, but Overtown, Liberty City or Carol City in Miami. Back in the day, there was nothing like it. They've softened a bit, but I still would not be caught walking through even in daylight.

Lolz for any mention of anything Seattle. Tuffest neighborhood in the NW is Hilltop baby. Ask Ballz. Seattle is like Disney World compared to most US cities.

Worst I've experienced? Wandering off the campus of the University of Chicago. South Side baby! It ain't no joke.

Philly is an absolute dump outside of the historic / downtown areas. Would not recommend anyone visit that city.
    I've loved Philly, my favorite major city. Granted, I never got out of the historic/downtown area.
  • Options
    Pitchfork51Pitchfork51 Member Posts: 26,592

I've loved Philly, my favorite major city. Granted, I never got out of the historic/downtown area.
    Philly is a total shithole overl but always a damn fun time when I go lol
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    The first actual ghetto I've been in was when I had to drive to a manufacturing plant in some shitty area of Baltimore

I was like holy fucking balls. Just burn it all the fuck down. It's hopeless.
  • Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,854

The first actual ghetto I've been in was when I had to drive to a manufacturing plant in some shitty area of Baltimore

West Balmer from Towson Ave on is scary as fuck.

• Options
    creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,741
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic

Outside the 7-11 on aurora in the U district

• Options
    creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,741
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic
    edited January 2020

South side of Chicago is a war zone. Chi-Raq is a real thing. Took a cab to a Bulls game that went through that area. Prayed to real God every time we got stopped at a red light.

Atlantic City, NJ was pretty grimy a block off the main strip 15 years back. Definitely had some people giving me and a buddy some dirty looks.

NYC was really not that bad.

Seattle is not anywhere near the level of those areas, and it's because of demographics. Worst place is probably downtown at this point.
    to which I'm a fixin' to take my wife and shih tzu for a long walk for perspective. so it's all relative. Seattle is a walk through the park. anybody who's afraid of Seattle needs to reach up into their twats and find their ballz. i've worked there almost my entire adult life and have not once, ever, had even a moment's hesitation about anything. ever.

the way you describe SS Chi, which is accurate, is what Overtown and Liberty City once were. still not good places to find yourself, but not like before.
  • Options

I remember the moment. It was like late 2012 and the song "let me take a selfie" was on and I was thinking fuck am I gonna die to this?!?
  • Options
    MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 37,781
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Now that I think about it more, San Jose Costa Rica.
  • Options
    edited January 2020

I'd argue it's even less scary than it is just fucking depressing. Like what's the move here?

Then I remember AOC knows what to do. So I feel better.

Schiff and co give me a sense of comfort
  • Options
    GreenRiverGatorzGreenRiverGatorz Member Posts: 10,147
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes

Costa Rica is one of my favorite states!
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

Trump won that state despite efforts by Facebook to upend him.
  • Options

The key to not being afraid when in shitty Caribbean areas is to just be drunk
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

The key to not being afraid when in shitty Caribbean areas is to just be drunk
    The slums of San Jose are scary as fuck