Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Did the Donovan hire alter your faith in Jimmy Lake?

Comments

• Options
    YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 34,289
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Yes, a little bit. I'm excited about Jimmy Lake but I'm not sure why he'd hire Donovan

I try to remain agnostic about almost any corching hire. I don't believe in magic and purple unicorns. Other than Urbs or Saban, there's no suck thing as slam dunk hires. Even 2 time Bear Bryant Coach of the Year, Pete, underachieved at UW. No one at USC wanted Carroll. USC passed on Ogeron. Many here except me and @creepycoug made fun of Oregon for the Meat hire.

I still think Jimmy was the best choice at the time and I think he has a decent shot at being a good coach for us. But he better be smarter than the rest of all of us internet half brains on the Donovan hire. If the offense is garbage in 2020 - regardless of new QB - then he's on the hot seat. No 2 to 3 year break in period.

Per usual @YellowSnow, our slow strategy white man brains have synced up like a sorority house menstrual cycle.

I haven’t yet expressed my feelings on the Donovan on the bored until now. I’ve been traveling a lot and haven’t been poasting much, but I’ve read the bored and all it’s thoughts.

Typically I’m pretty even keeled compared to this community and lack the extreme hot takes, but everything about this hire screams what the fuck to me.

Other valued poasters have already deep dived into how bad Donovan’s offenses have been and how his resume is a heaping pile of flaming dog shit. Every candidate has question marks, but fuck me, this guy is red flag central.

I’m confused because Lake said he wanted to go with an offense that he would hate to defend himself. He wanted an offense that would be aggressive, attacking, physical, and dominating. Donovan’s offenses haven’t been that previously.

Lake took 3 weeks to make this hire. He didn’t pick any of the seemingly well valued candidates that were available and the entire country is dumbfounded and making fun of UW. It’s a universally lambasted hire.

And the only thing I have going for me is that LSU fans were apoplectic when Orgeron was hired because he was a retread who failed at Ole Miss. literally that’s the only thing.

Everything about this hire (and the TE hire) screams massive mistake that is underwhelming. But Lake has succeeded at everything he’s done.

Talent evaluation: check

Player development: check

Recruiting wins head-to-head against big programs: check

Top 10 defense in up year and top 25 defense in down year: check

Lake mocks spread offenses and shits on the Air Raid and the Run / Shoot. He finds them easy to defend. The fans hate it but keep everything in front and don’t give up big plays and bend all over the field but give up sub 20 points a game. It’s exactly what the Titans just did to the best offense in the NFL with Jackson racking up yards but not scoring.

So while everything in me is screaming NowthwesternKidOhMyGod.gif, I’m trying my best to believe Lake believe his own shit too much and didn’t try to outsmart the room on this one. It feels like he did, but he has always had exotic schemes and formations that is the opposite of what everyone else does.

The doog in me says Lake truly believes Donovan learned from his time in the NFL. That there will be a power run scheme with play action that will control the clock, beat down the opposing defense, and keep Lake’s defense fresh. Zig will everyone else is zagging. Play defense and power run while everyone else is playing spread and gassing their own defenses with 90 plays a game.

I want to die, but I’m forcing myself to believe no matter how bad I want to fight it. I’m officially on the @Woof and @GreenRiverGatorz train. Lake knows something the rest of us don’t, and we are all idiots who think they know everything when we actually know nothing. Everyone hates this hire, which means it’s likely going to work out.

Fuck me, it’s hard to stay optimistic but it’s in my nature.

TL:DR

It's almost like past success doesn't guarantee future success and previous failure doesn't pre-ordain future suckiness.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Yes, a little bit. I'm excited about Jimmy Lake but I'm not sure why he'd hire Donovan
    Woof said:

I try to remain agnostic about almost any corching hire. I don't believe in magic and purple unicorns. Other than Urbs or Saban, there's no suck thing as slam dunk hires. Even 2 time Bear Bryant Coach of the Year, Pete, underachieved at UW. No one at USC wanted Carroll. USC passed on Ogeron. Many here except me and @creepycoug made fun of Oregon for the Meat hire.

I still think Jimmy was the best choice at the time and I think he has a decent shot at being a good coach for us. But he better be smarter than the rest of all of us internet half brains on the Donovan hire. If the offense is garbage in 2020 - regardless of new QB - then he's on the hot seat. No 2 to 3 year break in period.

Per usual @YellowSnow, our slow strategy white man brains have synced up like a sorority house menstrual cycle.

I haven’t yet expressed my feelings on the Donovan on the bored until now. I’ve been traveling a lot and haven’t been poasting much, but I’ve read the bored and all it’s thoughts.

Typically I’m pretty even keeled compared to this community and lack the extreme hot takes, but everything about this hire screams what the fuck to me.

Other valued poasters have already deep dived into how bad Donovan’s offenses have been and how his resume is a heaping pile of flaming dog shit. Every candidate has question marks, but fuck me, this guy is red flag central.

I’m confused because Lake said he wanted to go with an offense that he would hate to defend himself. He wanted an offense that would be aggressive, attacking, physical, and dominating. Donovan’s offenses haven’t been that previously.

Lake took 3 weeks to make this hire. He didn’t pick any of the seemingly well valued candidates that were available and the entire country is dumbfounded and making fun of UW. It’s a universally lambasted hire.

And the only thing I have going for me is that LSU fans were apoplectic when Orgeron was hired because he was a retread who failed at Ole Miss. literally that’s the only thing.

Everything about this hire (and the TE hire) screams massive mistake that is underwhelming. But Lake has succeeded at everything he’s done.

Lake mocks spread offenses and shits on the Air Raid and the Run / Shoot. He finds them easy to defend. The fans hate it but keep everything in front and don’t give up big plays and bend all over the field but give up sub 20 points a game. It’s exactly what the Titans just did to the best offense in the NFL with Jackson racking up yards but not scoring.

So while everything in me is screaming NowthwesternKidOhMyGod.gif, I’m trying my best to believe Lake believe his own shit too much and didn’t try to outsmart the room on this one. It feels like he did, but he has always had exotic schemes and formations that is the opposite of what everyone else does.

The doog in me says Lake truly believes Donovan learned from his time in the NFL. That there will be a power run scheme with play action that will control the clock, beat down the opposing defense, and keep Lake’s defense fresh. Zig will everyone else is zagging. Play defense and power run while everyone else is playing spread and gassing their own defenses with 90 plays a game.

I want to die, but I’m forcing myself to believe no matter how bad I want to fight it. I’m officially on the @Woof and @GreenRiverGatorz train. Lake knows something the rest of us don’t, and we are all idiots who think they know everything when we actually know nothing. Everyone hates this hire, which means it’s likely going to work out.

Drink that Kool Aid @DoogCourics !

Frankly, I'm mainly being optimistic because I think that most everyone in life is a terrible prognosticator. Donovan's track record is pretty underwhelming, and I'm still not exactly sure what the hell we're doing, but obviously Jimmy has something up his sleeve. We'll find out soon if it works or not, so until then, let's doog!
    This. It's fun to prognosticate but frankly everyone here sucks at it.
  • Options
    FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes
    Fuck yes! Prior to this I was so excited about 2020. Now I fear that the Jimmy Lake era will be a towering dumpster fire on roller skates

Woof said:

Frankly, I'm mainly being optimistic because I think that most everyone in life is a terrible prognosticator. Donovan's track record is pretty underwhelming, and I'm still not exactly sure what the hell we're doing, but obviously Jimmy has something up his sleeve. We'll find out soon if it works or not, so until then, let's doog!
    @firepete now @FireCohen . I am a lunatic, but I called it
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    FireCohen said:

Woof said:

You got close on Pete. But he offed himself so you don't get the glory. There's no where near enough evidence on Jimmy. If he goes 6-6 in year 1 and the offense sucks, then we'll have it.
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Fuck yes! Prior to this I was so excited about 2020. Now I fear that the Jimmy Lake era will be a towering dumpster fire on roller skates

We aren’t even ranked in the initial top 25’s for next year. Nobody is expecting much from us.

Perhaps this is good thing. I want the kids HUNGRY and not reading their own press
    clippings.
    Slow strategy POTD!!!

(Agree)
  • Options
    FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes

FireCohen said:

Woof said:

You got close on Pete. But he offed himself so you don't get the glory. There's no where near enough evidence on Jimmy. If he goes 6-6 in year 1 and the offense sucks, then we'll have it.
    Don’t worry 6-7 book it
  • Options
    skookumskookum Member Posts: 447
    First Anniversary Name Dropper 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

skookum said:

just what I needed, another excuse to continue wallowing in a drunken stupor. thnaks Gemmy

Who says you need an excuse to wallow in drunken stupor?
    My list of excuses for abusing the fire water is extensive but I can always use more.
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    Swaye's Wigwam

We aren’t even ranked in the initial top 25’s for next year. Nobody is expecting much from us.

Nor should they(?).
    I agree but it surprising after all the leveling up talk. But when you don’t have a QB, you get slept on, especially when you go 8-5 the year before.
  • Options
    BayDawgBayDawg Member Posts: 1,623
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Name Dropper

How many of you have hired an offensive coordinator? That's what I thought

I think I could throw a dart at a wall full of random pictures and come up with someone as qualified.

FMFYFE.
  • Options
    insinceredawginsinceredawg Member Posts: 5,117
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
  • Options
    CallMeBigErnCallMeBigErn Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 4,795
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Founders Club
    No, I'm excited for 2020 and I'm willing to let it play out. I TRUST THE COACHES.
  • Options
    DoogWhispererDoogWhisperer Member Posts: 1,023
    First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary
    I'm a wait and see guy anyways but I think he's had quite a rocky start. He seems like the type of guy that wants to exert his dominance when there is no reason to. I mean, why fire Bush and Paopao just to make 2 underwhelming hires. Not BDE.