Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

~~~~~~ >>> 101010001

The 2020s have officially begun, but based on the music collections of many people today, the 1970s never ended. KRQE reports that consumers bought $224 million worth of vinyl records in 2019, marking the first time since 1986 that the retro medium outsold CDs.

Since peaking in the early 1980s, vinyl records have had to compete with several new technologies: first cassette tapes, then CDs, and finally digital music. But instead of fading into obscurity completely, vinyl has experienced a surprising resurgence in recent years. In the week ending in December 26 alone, vinyl album sales reached 1.243 million—the highest number since Nielsen began documenting music data in 1991.

https://www.mentalfloss.com/article/610972/vinyl-records-sales-surpassed-cds

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 60,095
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    if memory serves me, the last album I bought was in 1985 -- Heart's self-titled album "Heart"

my first CD was in 1986, George Michael's "Faith"
  • Options
    alumni94alumni94 Member Posts: 4,849
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment

if memory serves me, the last album I bought was in 1985 -- Heart's self-titled album "Heart"

my first CD was in 1986, George Michael's "Faith"

Liked for admitting that you are a pussy. George Michael's "Faith"
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,430
    Swaye's Wigwam
    If you aren't going to download then of course you go vinyl over CDs

CDs were invented by Satan
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614

If you aren't going to download then of course you go vinyl over CDs

CDs were invented by Satan

RIP @beelzebub
  • Options
    Fenderbender123Fenderbender123 Member Posts: 2,867
    Standard Supporter
    I would go vinyl but I do most of my music listening while I'm driving. For the life of me I can't figure out why after all these years you still can't buy a car that comes with a record player.
  • Options
    I'm a digital guy, just because of the volume of music I have. I think i'm pushing over 40K songs now. I would need a warehouse to story all of that on vinyl.
  • Options
    YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,960
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    alumni94 said:

I'm a digital guy, just because of the volume of music I have. I think i'm pushing over 40K songs now. I would need a warehouse to story all of that on vinyl.

Digital can be great with the right set up. You gotta have a legit DAC though and files that are 44.1 KHz/16 bit or better. What are you running these days?

I feel with vinyl it's quality vs quantity. I just got the Mobile Fidelity Sound Labs reissued of Blues for Allah @alumni94 and I'll bet you it's the best sounds Dead you've every heard on a stereo.
  • Options
    1to392831weretaken1to392831weretaken Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,314
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I've done so much damage to my ears with loud music, power tools, and motorcycles that high quality audio systems are wasted on me. My current shop setup is a 20 year old Yamaha receiver that I had laying around in the basement, a couple of cheap speakers I bought off Amazon last week, and the cheap sub that came with my first HT setup that I bought in college. I've got a bluetooth adapter that plugs into the receiver's aux port, and I just send music to the system from an old phone that I can set next to me while I'm working and not worry about what happens to it. Usually YouTube for the music, actually.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

I've done so much damage to my ears with loud music, power tools, and motorcycles that high quality audio systems are wasted on me. My current shop setup is a 20 year old Yamaha receiver that I had laying around in the basement, a couple of cheap speakers I bought off Amazon last week, and the cheap sub that came with my first HT setup that I bought in college. I've got a bluetooth adapter that plugs into the receiver's aux port, and I just send music to the system from an old phone that I can set next to me while I'm working and not worry about what happens to it. Usually YouTube for the music, actually.

I hear ya (no pun intended).
  • Options
    Mad_SonMad_Son Member Posts: 10,093
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    I might be the last dinosaur buying CDs
  • Options
    JoeEDangerouslyJoeEDangerously Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 6,150
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    Mad_Son said:

I might be the last dinosaur buying CDs

No you’re not alone
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    Swaye's Wigwam

Chinteresting. I read recently the vinyl was making huge strides against CD but had not seen anything about it passing it in sales. Makes sense though anecdotally speaking in my world. I don't anyone who still buys CDs - Spotify killed the medium once and for all for me - but I know a lot of folks who buy vinyl.

Vinyl’s are collectors items. CD’s have no purpose at all anymore. Vinyl has to sell better. I don’t care enough to ever have vinyl but it makes sense to me.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

Chinteresting. I read recently the vinyl was making huge strides against CD but had not seen anything about it passing it in sales. Makes sense though anecdotally speaking in my world. I don't anyone who still buys CDs - Spotify killed the medium once and for all for me - but I know a lot of folks who buy vinyl.

Vinyl’s are collectors items. CD’s have no purpose at all anymore. Vinyl has to sell better. I don’t care enough to ever have vinyl but it makes sense to me.
    Disagree on CD not having a purpose. Yes, they are not collectible (there are a few exceptions for things like limited issue, rare SACD) like a lot of vinyl. But for the niche audiophile market, they are still a great format for those who don't want to fuck around with vinyl. Vinyl is much harder to get right than CD. Vinyl also tends to cost a lot more than CDs now.

CDs played through a good quality player are still going to sound way better than any of the streaming services. The only way to best them really is with higher res (than CD) files which actually cost most than compact discs.
  • Options

alumni94 said:

Digital can be great with the right set up. You gotta have a legit DAC though and files that are 44.1 KHz/16 bit or better. What are you running these days?

I feel with vinyl it's quality vs quantity. I just got the Mobile Fidelity Sound Labs reissued of Blues for Allah @alumni94 and I'll bet you it's the best sounds Dead you've every heard on a stereo.
    Hmmm. I will need to check that out.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    alumni94 said:

alumni94 said:

Do you have a TT?
  • Options
    LebamDawgLebamDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 8,551
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I have been trying to get the ringing in my ears organized into different melodies/beats etc just for background but haven't perfected it yet.

In the meantime, when I am at Half Price Books, I buy used CDs that Mrs. Lebam she no like
  • Options

alumni94 said:

alumni94 said:

Do you have a TT?
    TT?

I'm not an audiophile, but rather a collector of music, sorry don't know the lingo. Honestly, I run most of music through my desktop into my Bose headphones. I'm satisfied with the quality most of the time.
    I would love to find a better quality, but not willing to re-invest at this time. So, I'm holding on to my digital collection as long as possible.