Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

OC position

Comments

• Options
    NEsnake12NEsnake12 Member Posts: 3,791
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes

Dak got better with Moore. To go right from player, to QB coach, to coordinator is impressive. You don’t see that often. Obviously he was thought of very highly.

I don’t think he would run Pete’s offense. I would take Monken over him because of Monken’s success at OK State and Southern Miss, but Moore could be really good. It would be a high upside hire.

Huard is basically a bigger and better Moore. He seems like a perfect guy to groom him. Moore is young, he has credibility, and he probably would be a guy that kids would relate to. Hating the idea of him is strange. There are a lot of positives about him and why he would be a good hire.

More context:

• Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam

What we need is a OC that can (1) install an effective and explosive offense, (2) make in-game adjustments, and (3) call a game.

Recruiting would be a nice bonus, but that should be the least of our worries for an OC. I would rather we make sure we have an OC that can do those first 3 things than one that can recruit and only has 2 of those 3. Keep in mind that Jimmy Lake is our HC now and will be helping recruit offensive players, and that we have other assistants that can assist with Kellen until he gets his feet under him on the recruiting trail and establishing those relationships with high schools.

If Moore can do those first 3 things in his first year, he will be a successful hire for Lake.

I don’t give a shit if the OC doesn’t recruit at all. We need the best offense possible. We don’t need him wasting his time recruiting other than sporadically getting on the phone and when the recruits come and visit. The position coaches can recruit and the OC can close them by having a team that is exciting and puts up a lot of points.
  • Options
    chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,721
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    The OC has to play a role in recruiting. Every offensive player plays for him. Guys with other good offers arent going to a school where they dont know or like the guy in charge of their side of the ball.

It's swell of some of you to point out that ita not his primary job. Clearly anyone mentioning recruiting as a concern needed to be informed of this.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    chuck said:

The OC has to play a role in recruiting. Every offensive player plays for him. Guys with other good offers arent going to a school where they dont know or like the guy in charge of their side of the ball.

It's swell of some of you to point out that ita not his primary job. Clearly anyone mentioning recruiting as a concern needed to be informed of this.

Kwat barely recruited as a DC. It’s not their primary job and coordinators always recruit the least, especially on a day to day basis.injust wouldn’t hire an OC based on whether he’s a strong recruiter. That’s dumb.
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,818
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    For those knocking Moore as a recruiter ...

“I coordinated a Top 5 NFL Offense” ... mic drop
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited January 2020
    NEsnake12 said:

Dak got better with Moore. To go right from player, to QB coach, to coordinator is impressive. You don’t see that often. Obviously he was thought of very highly.

I don’t think he would run Pete’s offense. I would take Monken over him because of Monken’s success at OK State and Southern Miss, but Moore could be really good. It would be a high upside hire.

Huard is basically a bigger and better Moore. He seems like a perfect guy to groom him. Moore is young, he has credibility, and he probably would be a guy that kids would relate to. Hating the idea of him is strange. There are a lot of positives about him and why he would be a good hire.

More context:

Dak has always been an above average QB and that’s all he is now. To pretend like Kellen Moore made him into something great is wrong. Dak got a little better, but his WR’s got better too and he gained experience.

Moore had a decent year as OC. I think he will probably end up being a good coach, but there isn’t any data that makes him amazing at this point.
  • Options
    dirtysouwfdawgdirtysouwfdawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 12,167
    5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes First Anniversary
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Freepuka said:

So what now?

You DIAFF
  • Options
    dirtysouwfdawgdirtysouwfdawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 12,167
    5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes First Anniversary
    Swaye's Wigwam
    TheHB said:

Not sure why people hate Kellen Moore. The Cowboys had the 2nd ranked DVOA offense in the league while also having the most dropped passes and a QB who was half retarded at punching it in in the red zone. It’s not a miracle hire by any means but LIPO worthy.

It feels like some people are hoping we hire Bill Bellicheck.

The fear with Moore is it is more of the same offense. I think he has some of the responsibility for dak developing. If you think dak sucks that would be a reason for concern.

I think he would be good with quarterbacks but i am concerned about him not being super experienced. What would the oline look like snot vs the teams with complicated blitz schemes like Stanford or cu? Bush was in so far over his head.
    Dak is solid overall. He was just shaky in the red zone but as I said still managed to have the 2nd best offense in the NFL. I think his experience is concerning too but he did pretty good in the NFL in his first season does that mean it translates to college? Maybe

I understand skepticism I just don’t understand full blown meltdown. Maybe I read too many of TSIO crew tweets.
    I’ve been away for a long time, but I’m pretty sure the premise of this place has never wavered: Hate everyone and everything until there is reason not to. Then wait for the next mistake and start the hate cycle all over again.

HTH
    Stay... longer this time.
  • Options
    DoogWhispererDoogWhisperer Member Posts: 1,023
    First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary
    NEsnake12 said:

More context:

Yeah, I’m not seeing huge improvement.
  • Options
    AtomicDawgAtomicDawg Member Posts: 7,002
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes

NEsnake12 said:

More context:

Yeah, I’m not seeing huge improvement.
    I think he is trying to say that the cowboys had to lean on passing game more this year. Total yards jumped significantly.
  • Options
    TheHBTheHB Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 5,430
    First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Tequilla said:

For those knocking Moore as a recruiter ...

“I coordinated a Top 5 NFL Offense” ... mic drop

For a team that couldn’t beat anyone good and didn’t make the playoffs. But still ...
  • Options
    WoofWoof Member Posts: 769
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment

If Kellen Moore had nothing to do with Pete, people would be excited about him. They would think : great college QB, was given the QB coach job when he was cut, promoted to coordinator after one year. Then, the Cowboys offense performed pretty well in that one year. But because he once played for Pete, he sucks and is a failure.

It’s stupid. A lot of teams (even good ones) would be happy with hiring him as a coordinator. Internet UW fans are not because he has some association with Pete. He has no association when it comes to coaching. I don’t know who they think we are getting as OC.

They spout bullshit like Bama or LSU wouldn’t do this when LSU hired a complete unknown guy (that wasn’t even OC, just brought the spread) and Bama cycles thru OC’s every year. Locksley (one of the worst head coaches in college football), Daboll (fired in KC in 2012, a position coach in the NFL), Sark, etc. I honestly don’t know who would be considered good enough or acceptable for this job. Coordinators are always fired head coaches, guys making a jump from a lower tier school, or guys that are getting a promotion, or guys leaving a bad situation (like Wilcox).

I’m just tired of the complaining just to complain. Complain when the offense sucks. There is nothing to complain about until then or make rash judgements that our program is fucked.

Preach.

Everyone agrees that we need to run a different offense, but I'm with you that I don't understand why everyone assumes hiring Moore means more of the same. It's like everyone against the hire thinks that as an offensive coordinator, you're beholden to run the same offensive scheme you ran as a player in college. Moore has been out of Pete's orbit for 9 years. His dad ran spread option at Prosser. I have no clue if he would be good, but I wouldn't hate the move either.
  • Options
    FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes

If Kellen Moore had nothing to do with Pete, people would be excited about him. They would think : great college QB, was given the QB coach job when he was cut, promoted to coordinator after one year. Then, the Cowboys offense performed pretty well in that one year. But because he once played for Pete, he sucks and is a failure.

It’s stupid. A lot of teams (even good ones) would be happy with hiring him as a coordinator. Internet UW fans are not because he has some association with Pete. He has no association when it comes to coaching. I don’t know who they think we are getting as OC.

They spout bullshit like Bama or LSU wouldn’t do this when LSU hired a complete unknown guy (that wasn’t even OC, just brought the spread) and Bama cycles thru OC’s every year. Locksley (one of the worst head coaches in college football), Daboll (fired in KC in 2012, a position coach in the NFL), Sark, etc. I honestly don’t know who would be considered good enough or acceptable for this job. Coordinators are always fired head coaches, guys making a jump from a lower tier school, or guys that are getting a promotion, or guys leaving a bad situation (like Wilcox).

I’m just tired of the complaining just to complain. Complain when the offense sucks. There is nothing to complain about until then or make rash judgements that our program is fucked.

did the cowboys make the playoffs? there was a material drop off in offensive production when cowboys played decent teams. so forgive if we are skeptical off him. he has too much of a pete stench for my liking.
  • Options
    dannarcdannarc Member Posts: 2,298
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    I would be fine with hiring Moore. The association with Pete thing is FS as FS gets. Win the conference every few years, put yourself in position to have a shot at a playoff spot and maybe.....just maybe...win a natty once every 30 decades. Or we can be the fan base that expects natties every year and when we don't get it, we act like complete pricks and make the program a faith based dooged out aids shelter

So, yeah, LIPO
  • Options
    dannarc said:

I would be fine with hiring Moore. The association with Pete thing is FS as FS gets. Win the conference every few years, put yourself in position to have a shot at a playoff spot and maybe.....just maybe...win a natty once every 30 decades. Or we can be the fan base that expects natties every year and when we don't get it, we act like complete pricks and make the program a faith based dooged out aids shelter

So, yeah, LIPO

if pete had a somewhat of a decent offense we would have won the conference 4 years in a row
  • Options

FireCohen said:

did the cowboys make the playoffs? there was a material drop off in offensive production when cowboys played decent teams. so forgive if we are skeptical off him. he has too much of a pete stench for my liking.
    That fine, but we are gonna Doog about the OC if the Browns and Bucs that never made the playoffs? Tbh, I want Monken over Moore, but it’s all stupid.
    not stupid, but the off season. you know how this shit goes