Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

OC position

Comments

• Options
    SECDAWGSECDAWG Member Posts: 5,004
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2019
  • Options
    haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 20,788
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

OL coach and WR mean very little in the scheme of things. It's all on CP.

When have you heard of a team that hired a better WR coach and got dramatically better on offense? Never. All WR coaches do the same shit. Some just coach actually good WRs.

Absolutely idiotic post. Disagree about OL coach. That’s an important role and I would much rather have a great OL coach than an average one.

We got drastically better with Bush Hamdan as our WR coach. Ross came back and was much improved and it was night and day with Pettis. I don’t think it was all because of him, but it helped having him instead of Pease.

They do the same shit, but the coach needs to get his guys assignment sound, playing with confidence, focused, always seeking to improve, etc.

Teachers mostly teach the same thing. History is history, but some teach it better than others.

The only thing you are right about is that it is all on CP. he does need to hire good coaches and that’s very debatable at this point.
    Terrible response, except for the very end. John Ross was good because he was healthy for a full year, had a great defense, a decent QB, a superb TB, and plenty of nice scoring opportunities. A good WR coach, in the sense that they can communicate effectively with kids, is better than a terrible one, for sure.

But the tone starts at the top. Adams was not in complete control of the WR rotations this year, for instance, it was Pete's stupid system and seniority principles that got everyone constipated.

Same goes for OL in my opinion. Chip Kelly's system at Oregon was largely fool-proof not because of a great OL coach, but because the system was schemed and drilled to perfection at the top.

I agree that Pete played a role in the WR rotation despite constantly hearing that the position coaches are in charge of that.

That said, we only have the results of a position coach’s units to make judgements on. The WR group was a weakness all year. Adams was bad in year one. I don’t mind him getting another year and he deserves it because of his recruiting, but his group has to play better this year. If they don’t, he should be shown the door.
    Bachellia was a contributor at the end of the season last year because his speed and lack of size was utilized correctly (and sparingly). Using him as a #2 and the main homerun threat seems to me like an OC decision.

Fuller I blame Adams much more for. You can't let a pencil-armed kid be your #1 receiver.

• Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,818
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs

When have you heard of a team that hired a better WR coach and got dramatically better on offense? Never. All WR coaches do the same shit. Some just coach actually good WRs.

Absolutely idiotic post. Disagree about OL coach. That’s an important role and I would much rather have a great OL coach than an average one.

We got drastically better with Bush Hamdan as our WR coach. Ross came back and was much improved and it was night and day with Pettis. I don’t think it was all because of him, but it helped having him instead of Pease.

They do the same shit, but the coach needs to get his guys assignment sound, playing with confidence, focused, always seeking to improve, etc.

Teachers mostly teach the same thing. History is history, but some teach it better than others.

The only thing you are right about is that it is all on CP. he does need to hire good coaches and that’s very debatable at this point.
    Originally I would have agreed with this but I learned recently from "Sub K" on the BDTW podcast that the o line performance has nothing to do with the o line coach as long as he is recruiting well. In this case, poor o line performance is the fault of the running back coach and offensive coordinator. If, however, the o line coach is deemed a poor recruiter, then any deficiencies in o line production fall at his feet

Originally I would have agreed with this but I learned recently from "Sub K" on the BDTW podcast that the o line performance has nothing to do with the o line coach as long as he is recruiting well. In this case, poor o line performance is the fault of the running back coach and offensive coordinator. If, however, the o line coach is deemed a poor recruiter, then any deficiencies in o line production fall at his feet
    This is pretty much the bipolar analysis that BDTW is built on
  • Options
    edited December 2019

Lashlee would be a great hire. It’s not settling for Eason if you have a guy like Lashlee on the hook.

That being said if Eason is gone anyway I agree it makes sense to wait a week and see if someone you like even more comes along. Risky though because Lashlee or whoever else was the guy might no longer be available.

I’m just not sure I buy the Lashlee hype.

He could be good ... but his comparable experience at Auburn did not go great.

I think it’s a bit of a risk when you bring in somebody from a lower level
  • Options
    AtomicDawgAtomicDawg Member Posts: 7,000
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Tequilla said:

Lashlee would be a great hire. It’s not settling for Eason if you have a guy like Lashlee on the hook.

That being said if Eason is gone anyway I agree it makes sense to wait a week and see if someone you like even more comes along. Risky though because Lashlee or whoever else was the guy might no longer be available.

I’m just not sure I buy the Lashley hype.

Is there an example of a name as a good coordinator in a current position At a high level school that realistically would come here?
  • Options
    AtomicDawgAtomicDawg Member Posts: 7,000
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes

This OC hire is no different than any other OC - the head coach remains responsible for the results

Of course we will hate whoever gets hired. Until we don't.

Agreed. Sometimes though it is just as simple as hiring the right person and gtfootw. See the chip
    Kelly and Lincoln Riley type hires.

That being said most oc’s are obsessed with making the passing games look good and need a head coach to put them in place.
  • Options
    BreadBread Member Posts: 3,984
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment

Tequilla said:

I’m just not sure I buy the Lashley hype.

Is there an example of a name as a good coordinator in a current position At a high level school that realistically would come here?
    Depends on if you think ferndale is a high level school.
  • Options
    BreadBread Member Posts: 3,984
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    What about rod smith? Aggressive, attacking, up tempo offense. Knows how to win in the desert and can score atleast 10 points against Cal.
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited December 2019
    haie said:

Terrible response, except for the very end. John Ross was good because he was healthy for a full year, had a great defense, a decent QB, a superb TB, and plenty of nice scoring opportunities. A good WR coach, in the sense that they can communicate effectively with kids, is better than a terrible one, for sure.

But the tone starts at the top. Adams was not in complete control of the WR rotations this year, for instance, it was Pete's stupid system and seniority principles that got everyone constipated.

Same goes for OL in my opinion. Chip Kelly's system at Oregon was largely fool-proof not because of a great OL coach, but because the system was schemed and drilled to perfection at the top.

I agree that Pete played a role in the WR rotation despite constantly hearing that the position coaches are in charge of that.

That said, we only have the results of a position coach’s units to make judgements on. The WR group was a weakness all year. Adams was bad in year one. I don’t mind him getting another year and he deserves it because of his recruiting, but his group has to play better this year. If they don’t, he should be shown the door.
    Bachellia was a contributor at the end of the season last year because his speed and lack of size was utilized correctly (and sparingly). Using him as a #2 and the main homerun threat seems to me like an OC decision.

Fuller I blame Adams much more for. You can't let a pencil-armed kid be your #1 receiver.

Fuller was the best returning WR. He had a disappointing year. They really fucked up not getting Puka involved early and taking so long to let Bynum get a real chance and actually be targeted. Spiker should have been more involved as well.

We should have had no true #1 and spread the ball around. It’s harder for DB’s to defend multiple guys with different games. And like we have anytime we have had a good WR or TE, we forced the ball to them. Eason would stare Hunter Bryant down and wait for him to get open on his shallow crosses.

If we had some true studs, it would be different, but we didn’t, or at least they weren’t ready to fill the #1 spot from game one.
  • Options
    FremontTrollFremontTroll Member Posts: 4,735
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Tequilla said:

In what way did it not “go great”?
  • Options
    FremontTrollFremontTroll Member Posts: 4,735
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Bread said:

What about rod smith? Aggressive, attacking, up tempo offense. Knows how to win in the desert and can score atleast 10 points against Cal.

Hard no to any Rich Rodriguez disciples. He was a prodigy in his day but he didn’t evolve.
  • Options

Tequilla said:

In what way did it not “go great”?
    Year 1 gets to the National Title game losing to Florida St

By Year 4 the seat under the Gus Bus got so hot that he sacrificed Lashlee taking back the play calling back.

So yeah, reason for some concern