Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

OC position

Comments

• Options
    AtomicDawgAtomicDawg Member Posts: 6,994
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes

So I havent done a ton of research on each individual OC candidate, but why do we(?) think Todd Monken, whose offense was a complete disaster this year, would be a homerun hire but Kellen Moore, whose offense was statistically pretty damn good, would be a terrible hire?

Is it just the Boise State connection?

Monken has run good offenses in college. Okie state when they have been really good on offense and southern miss. They lit us up in the Dallas bowl.

That would be the reason for optimism. Also has been a head coach with a ton of experience. Turned around southern miss and left for some reason. But they were good in his 3rd year.
  • Options
    TommySQCTommySQC Member Posts: 5,813
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    edited December 2019

So I havent done a ton of research on each individual OC candidate, but why do we(?) think Todd Monken, whose offense was a complete disaster this year, would be a homerun hire but Kellen Moore, whose offense was statistically pretty damn good, would be a terrible hire?

I like base my opinion off of 1 year. I like to do that.
  • Options
    Beno4LifeBeno4Life Member Posts: 533
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

Yes. I’m so fucking done with that stupid school and all their overachieving talent, not including Jimmy cause he’s an Eastern Eag first.
  • Options
    theknowledgetheknowledge Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 4,588
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Fade routes on 4th and 6 with the season on the line with your alpha receiver on the bench because of the package you are attempting to run is all I need for a HARD PASS.
  • Options
    FremontTrollFremontTroll Member Posts: 4,717
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Lashlee would be a great hire. It’s not settling for Eason if you have a guy like Lashlee on the hook.

That being said if Eason is gone anyway I agree it makes sense to wait a week and see if someone you like even more comes along. Risky though because Lashlee or whoever else was the guy might no longer be available.
  • Options
    BasemanBaseman Member Posts: 12,365
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker

Moore has the Cowboys doing well against losing teams and struggling against good teams in his 15 game career

Like his old coach

Except against Cal, Stanford, and Colorado but otherwise, yeah
  • Options
    whlinderwhlinder Member Posts: 4,310
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment
    Standard Supporter
    Kidnap Kyle Shanahan after SNF is over and make him be OC next year
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    Swaye's Wigwam

I”m thinking LSU’s magic is Burrow more than Brady.

Hard to say. He’s obviously become a great QB but he wasn’t anything special last year. I don’t knock him at all for losing the job to Haskins considering Haskins was a Heisman contender and threw 50 TD’s and was picked in the first round himself.

The coaching and scheme changed at LSU and they are fucking rolling. I do think that they will drop off from Burrows (anyone would), but something is going good there besides just Burrow. The rest of the team is playing with a ton of confidence. Confidence is contagious.

This ties back to the point that TBS is so important and coaching isn’t. They both are. LSU always had a lot of talent but wasn’t coming close to this level ever.
  • Options
    FreeChavezFreeChavez Member Posts: 3,223
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment

I wouldn't say Moore is a bad hire. Everyone on here has said that coordinators are hot one day, and fired the next. Same with the hot head coaches. Where I think the Moore statement rings true is recruiting. Moore isn't responsible for recruiting in the NFL and has never had to recruit a day in his life or build a team around 18-20 yr olds. Moore's entire career was built on his ability to be incredibly smart, while a bonus in one corner for the OC job, also means you need a guy just as smart as your QB to see what he sees.

The entire coaching world is going to revert back after another couple years to normal levels of graduation jobs. Right now anyone who smells of decent is the "next" savant young coach. Most will be fired within a year or two and back to coordinators or qb coaches.

Not sure if Monken would be a reality, but given that he's done the job in college and recruited, I'd assume he'd be ready to hit the ground running.

And at the end of the day nobody fucking knows.
  • Options
    AtomicDawgAtomicDawg Member Posts: 6,994
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes

I wouldn't say Moore is a bad hire. Everyone on here has said that coordinators are hot one day, and fired the next. Same with the hot head coaches. Where I think the Moore statement rings true is recruiting. Moore isn't responsible for recruiting in the NFL and has never had to recruit a day in his life or build a team around 18-20 yr olds. Moore's entire career was built on his ability to be incredibly smart, while a bonus in one corner for the OC job, also means you need a guy just as smart as your QB to see what he sees.

The entire coaching world is going to revert back after another couple years to normal levels of graduation jobs. Right now anyone who smells of decent is the "next" savant young coach. Most will be fired within a year or two and back to coordinators or qb coaches.

Not sure if Monken would be a reality, but given that he's done the job in college and recruited, I'd assume he'd be ready to hit the ground running.

All that being said, please don’t hire Moore
  • Options
    FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes

dude we do not need another bush 2.0, that gives up a running game as soon as the running game gets going. they all are (pete, bush, kellen) are all cut from the same cloth.
  • Options
    TommySQCTommySQC Member Posts: 5,813
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes

https://youtu.be/a9SlDiwp7ek
  • Options
    BasemanBaseman Member Posts: 12,365