Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

People forget

Comments

• Downey_41Downey_41 Member Posts: 21
    All the Petersen hate on here is disgusting. You're all fake ass fans. Suck start a shotgun please
  • MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member Posts: 37,781

Petersen took over a 9-4 team that was 5-4 in the Pac and left an 8-5 team that was 4-5 in the Pac

Petersen went 4-5 3 times out of 6 here. Rick went 6-2, 7-1, 6-2, 4-4

Sark went 5-4 four times and 4-5 once

You want to crown his ass then CROWN IT. But he is who we thought he was.

We've been over this.

I'm hearing beating Purdue in the Rose Bowl was nothing special

https://hardcorehusky.com/discussion/67253/thank-you-chris-petersen/p1

https://hardcorehusky.com/discussion/64754/rick-v-petersen

The coach who brought two Pac-12 championships back to Montlake and earned a CFP birth gets nothing but hate on here. Don't forget as student athletes, the team did better than ever before under coach Pete. Would you guys rather have Willingham or Gilbertson instead? I swear everyone here dogging on coach Pete are not husky fans but imposters trying to poison the well. Prove me wrong.

Downey_41 said:

The coach who brought two Pac-12 championships back to Montlake and earned a CFP birth gets nothing but hate on here. Don't forget as student athletes, the team did better than ever before under coach Pete. Would you guys rather have Willingham or Gilbertson instead? I swear everyone here dogging on coach Pete are not husky fans but imposters trying to poison the well. Prove me wrong.

Jesus @Downey_41...lurk a while...no one here is equating Pete to Gilby/Sark/Ty. Pete was a good coach at UW and made us relevant. Most at HH feel this way. The “hate” is us bitching because he wasn’t good enough to get us a to natty game. He admitted as much with his resignation.
    So the site is full of women who bitch when they don't get exactly what they want, when they want it? Bitching and complaining about the best coach we've had in 30 years is the stupidest thing I've ever heard. Do you fake fans not listen to what his former players say about him. Find one former player that has something bad to say about him. I'll wait.
  • creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,968

Downey_41 said:

I do agree that many here downplay Pete’s success. Most of them remember the golden years, and Pete got close, but not all the way there.

I don’t think many care about the student athlete part. I like Pete as a person and as a parent, I could see why playing for a guy like Pete would be the right choice, but winning is all that actually matters. I don’t care any more about our players as people then I do the average Joe.
    Nor should we. I don't think people have an accurate picture big-tim Division 1 football academis. It's not pretty.
  • minion_doogminion_doog Member Posts: 1,982

Downey_41 said:

Jesus @Downey_41...lurk a while...no one here is equating Pete to Gilby/Sark/Ty. Pete was a good coach at UW and made us relevant. Most at HH feel this way. The “hate” is us bitching because he wasn’t good enough to get us a to natty game. He admitted as much with his resignation.
    This is a generous gift to you. You have no idea how very tall this man is.
  • RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member Posts: 30,123

Downey_41 said:

I do agree that many here downplay Pete’s success. Most of them remember the golden years, and Pete got close, but not all the way there.

I don’t think many care about the student athlete part. I like Pete as a person and as a parent, I could see why playing for a guy like Pete would be the right choice, but winning is all that actually matters. I don’t care any more about our players as people then I do the average Joe.
    I'm one. "The Twelves" got insufferable, but what finally weaned me from the Seahawks' teet was using a first round pick on piece of shit Frank Clark. The pictures of his girlfriend, and the damage he did to the motel room with her face, were public record at the time. It wasn't hard. If I wanted to cheer for an organization that's morally bankrupt for the warm fuzzy feeling of "belonging" to a winning team, I'd... take it to the Tug.

There's probably nobody here who hated Petersen's game day coaching as much as me (I'll concede a hundred-way tie...), but I have a lot more respect and admiration for the guy than most of you for the above reason. I also agree that the insistence on doing things "the right way" was at least partly why he was never going to push the program over the final hump, but I still admire it. He had an 11 win team this year and achieved 8. That was a coaching failure, not a "being a goodie two shoes" failure, although there's sometimes overlap. I think it would have been entirely possible for Petersen--were he not burnt out and disinterested--to keep cranking out ten-plus win seasons with the rare shot in the playoffs, and doing so while maintaining relatively high ethical standards in the program. I can't think of another head coach in the country who I'm certain could pull off the same. Wait and see mode with Lake.

I don't begrudge people just wanting to see the team win, though. It's just entertainment, and winning is fun. Just my personal preference: Sports is my reality TV, and I'd rather like the main characters.

ATBS, @Downey_41 needs to get his reads down fast or he's going to flame out even harder than @theciscoshow. (Pro tip, Downey: Go to the classics board and read the ciscoshow thread. Not quite PMing IrishDawg22, but it'll get you most of the way there. Then come back, eat some crow, and hang out a while. Or not. Whatever.)
    I’m not into burying a guy for life. What he did was bad, but I’m different from you because I didn’t care that they drafted Clark one way or the other.
  • dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614

Downey_41 said:

I'm one. "The Twelves" got insufferable, but what finally weaned me from the Seahawks' teet was using a first round pick on piece of shit Frank Clark. The pictures of his girlfriend, and the damage he did to the motel room with her face, were public record at the time. It wasn't hard. If I wanted to cheer for an organization that's morally bankrupt for the warm fuzzy feeling of "belonging" to a winning team, I'd... take it to the Tug.

There's probably nobody here who hated Petersen's game day coaching as much as me (I'll concede a hundred-way tie...), but I have a lot more respect and admiration for the guy than most of you for the above reason. I also agree that the insistence on doing things "the right way" was at least partly why he was never going to push the program over the final hump, but I still admire it. He had an 11 win team this year and achieved 8. That was a coaching failure, not a "being a goodie two shoes" failure, although there's sometimes overlap. I think it would have been entirely possible for Petersen--were he not burnt out and disinterested--to keep cranking out ten-plus win seasons with the rare shot in the playoffs, and doing so while maintaining relatively high ethical standards in the program. I can't think of another head coach in the country who I'm certain could pull off the same. Wait and see mode with Lake.

I don't begrudge people just wanting to see the team win, though. It's just entertainment, and winning is fun. Just my personal preference: Sports is my reality TV, and I'd rather like the main characters.

ATBS, @Downey_41 needs to get his reads down fast or he's going to flame out even harder than @theciscoshow. (Pro tip, Downey: Go to the classics board and read the ciscoshow thread. Not quite PMing IrishDawg22, but it'll get you most of the way there. Then come back, eat some crow, and hang out a while. Or not. Whatever.)
    Clark wasn't a first round pick
  • creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,968

Downey_41 said:

Downey_41 said:

So the site is full of women who bitch when they don't get exactly what they want, when they want it? Bitching and complaining about the best coach we've had in 30 years is the stupidest thing I've ever heard. Do you fake fans not listen to what his former players say about him. Find one former player that has something bad to say about him. I'll wait.
    Yeah there’s a lot of that @Downey_41 ...

But this is not a place full of fake fans. I can assure you of that. I’m a multi year UW letter winner, for example. The guys here are just as die hard as the next Husky site.

The difference with HH is that it takes a while to figure out. There’s so many inside jokes and an absurd amount of satire. For someone coming over from Dawgman or Dawgpound it won’t make sense at first.
    True. I still don't know 70% of what's going on.