Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Husky Jacks open thread [2020]

Comments

• Options
    dannarcdannarc Member Posts: 2,289
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    guntlove said:

Emoterman said:

Does everyone hate Sirmon because he looks like this, or is it due to being jilted by DDY/Coker? There are good stories about him being a real goof off the field, but I never understand what makes people think he's washed up before we've even really seen him.

This motherfucker has gone from devoutly following Jesus, to straight-up impersonating him.

@Lordandsaviordawg, true?1!?
    BYBMBE
  • Options
    1to392831weretaken1to392831weretaken Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,338
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    chuck said:

Why couldn’t they just continue to Vegas where the AZ buses could have gotten in 7 hours?
    I'm hearing that the logistics of organizing a game with no fans is too much on short notice because the two teams are 1200 miles apart.
    Didn't realize cleaning Cheeto stains off of sweatpants and occasionally climbing the stairs out of dads' basement qualifies so many people here to know conclusively how easy it is to organize a major sporting event! HCH just keeps surprising me.
  • Options
    FremontTrollFremontTroll Member Posts: 4,723
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment

chuck said:

Why couldn’t they just continue to Vegas where the AZ buses could have gotten in 7 hours?
    I'm hearing that the logistics of organizing a game with no fans is too much on short notice because the two teams are 1200 miles apart.
    Didn't realize cleaning Cheeto stains off of sweatpants and occasionally climbing the stairs out of dads' basement qualifies so many people here to know conclusively how easy it is to organize a major sporting event! HCH just keeps surprising me.
    It was claimed that the schools and conference were on board with making UofA-UW replacement game happen but the sticking point was the Arizona equipment not being able to get to Seattle in time.
  • Options
    AtomicDawgAtomicDawg Member Posts: 6,994
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes

chuck said:

It was claimed that the schools and conference were on board with making UofA-UW replacement game happen but the sticking point was the Arizona equipment not being able to get to Seattle in time.
    Even though it en route to Slc. Just solve the freaking problem.

Move the game to Sunday.
    Get another freight company to help and do a relay. I doNt know but it sounds solvable. I doubt bama or Ohio state takes no for an answer in that scenario.
  • Options
    chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,680
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

chuck said:

Even though it en route to Slc. Just solve the freaking problem.

Move the game to Sunday.
    Get another freight company to help and do a relay. I doNt know but it sounds solvable. I doubt bama or Ohio state takes no for an answer in that scenario.
    They can move mountains to make this shit happen. There are few obstacles that can't be overcome with the money that gets thrown around in this industry.

Maybe a cost benefit analysis showed it would have been a huge, net loss. I doubt that analysis really occurred though.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    chuck said:

chuck said:

Loosen up Francis. This is supposed to be fun.

My feeling was that decision makers approached it the same way you did, which is the same way they made the decision to scrap the season in the first place...by taking a cursory look and deciding it sounded too difficult. Maybe it would have been. Maybe it would have been hard but worth it.

My only hard stance on the matter, in spite of my mockery, is that I dont trust the league to make the best decisions on such matters. Decision making has been so bad that it's now impossible, at least for me,, not to assume that every call made is wrong.
    You have no idea how loose I am. NO IDEA! Wait, what were we talking about?...

The word in this response that I've been keying on all along (and it's not to pick on you, as it seems most here react to bad news like my seven year old daughter being told candy for dinner isn't a thing) is "feeling." To be fair, I also have a "feeling" that the problem could have been solved and the game could have happened. The suggestions on how to solve the problem even seem reasonable. What stopped me from jumping straight to internet child tantrum was that I don't HAVE proof in HAND that my feeling isn't just me being ignorant of the logistics involved.

For all I knew, Jen (ILTCHJ) called Arizona and was told to fuck off. Or she called Arizona, game on, called the league, and was told to fuck off. Or called Arizona and the league, game on, but called the TV network and was told to fuck off. No point in playing a game in a season with no fans in the stands if it can't be on television. The default position should be to assume incompetence (see also: QB play, new offense, etc.), as past performance is all we have to go off, but an assumption isn't worth a tantrum. Show me actual evidence that a half-assed effort was made, and I'll be right there with all of you throwing the toys out of the pram.

Also, many harped on the whole 1200 mile thing. The point wasn't the distance of one flight relative to another, the point was that it would require a flight period. You're not going to get equipment or personnel 1200 miles over the road in a day, so it becomes a far bigger logistics problem. Personally, I had broadcast trucks and camera equipment in mind, but it turns out the actual sticking point was one of the team's football equipment not having time to make it over the road. Huh, not such a crazy concern after all... [/here_to_beat_my_chest]
  • Options
    chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,680
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

chuck said:

chuck said:

My feeling was that decision makers approached it the same way you did, which is the same way they made the decision to scrap the season in the first place...by taking a cursory look and deciding it sounded too difficult. Maybe it would have been. Maybe it would have been hard but worth it.

My only hard stance on the matter, in spite of my mockery, is that I dont trust the league to make the best decisions on such matters. Decision making has been so bad that it's now impossible, at least for me,, not to assume that every call made is wrong.

The word in this response that I've been keying on all along (and it's not to pick on you, as it seems most here react to bad news like my seven year old daughter being told candy for dinner isn't a thing) is "feeling." To be fair, I also have a "feeling" that the problem could have been solved and the game could have happened. The suggestions on how to solve the problem even seem reasonable. What stopped me from jumping straight to internet child tantrum was that I don't HAVE proof in HAND that my feeling isn't just me being ignorant of the logistics involved.

For all I knew, Jen (ILTCHJ) called Arizona and was told to fuck off. Or she called Arizona, game on, called the league, and was told to fuck off. Or called Arizona and the league, game on, but called the TV network and was told to fuck off. No point in playing a game in a season with no fans in the stands if it can't be on television. The default position should be to assume incompetence (see also: QB play, new offense, etc.), as past performance is all we have to go off, but an assumption isn't worth a tantrum. Show me actual evidence that a half-assed effort was made, and I'll be right there with all of you throwing the toys out of the pram.

Also, many harped on the whole 1200 mile thing. The point wasn't the distance of one flight relative to another, the point was that it would require a flight period. You're not going to get equipment or personnel 1200 miles over the road in a day, so it becomes a far bigger logistics problem. Personally, I had broadcast trucks and camera equipment in mind, but it turns out the actual sticking point was one of the team's football equipment not having time to make it over the road. Huh, not such a crazy concern after all... [/here_to_beat_my_chest]
    My tolerance for the irrational tantrums varies with my mood. Sometimes I'm inclined to take the same approach as you. Right now I just want to see a fucking football game though. I want Zona damnit.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    chuck said:

chuck said:

chuck said:

My tolerance for the irrational tantrums varies with my mood. Sometimes I'm inclined to take the same approach as you. Right now I just want to see a fucking football game though. I want Zona damnit.
    Believe me, after this shitfuck of a year, I wanted a game, too. Even bought three sixers of increasingly toxic beer in preparation for how torturous said game was bound to be. Pissed me off to no end that I had to drink those beers anyway with no game to watch.
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 102,077
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited November 2020
    I was in deep planning for my own logistics. The Main Bedroom golf tournament at 10 AM and staying sober enough for an 8PM game start for the DAWGS with Bama LSU in between

• Options
    GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,481
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter

I was in deep planning for my own logistics. The Main Bedroom golf tournament at 10 AM and staying sober enough for an 8PM game start for the DAWGS with Bama LSU in between