Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Husky Jacks open thread [2020]

Comments

• Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 102,231
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Emoterman said:

Hold on, aren't you the "wait and see" guy on John Don? Does this mean you're buying the percolating athletogenic sizzle? Or are you taking the conventional wisdom position of "John Don suxxx," based on the vast preponderance of evidence?
    I'm a contrarian by nature
  • Options
    EmotermanEmoterman Member Posts: 3,333
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes

Emoterman said:

Hold on, aren't you the "wait and see" guy on John Don? Does this mean you're buying the percolating athletogenic sizzle? Or are you taking the conventional wisdom position of "John Don suxxx," based on the vast preponderance of evidence?
    I'm a contrarian by nature

• Options
    QuietcowskeeQuietcowskee Member Posts: 3,157
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Call me cray but I like Thomson and
    Gladstone said:

Wood.
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 102,231
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Now

I hope it snows. Night game. 1992 snow bowl

Then

• Options
    steelheader2steelheader2 Member Posts: 367
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Name Dropper Photogenic
    The Governor announcement at 5:30 tonight may very well cancel the game. Hopefully not.
  • Options
    BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,686
    Founders Club

The Governor announcement at 5:30 tonight may very well cancel the game. Hopefully not.

My source to the Gov thinks that tonight Inslee wags his finger at us and says we're behaving badly, and that going backwards on stuff doesn't happen until next week. Supposedly, even if everything was locked down today, the COVID data still increases another 4% minimum next week. That gives him cover next week to roll back stuff on restaurants and bars, which are the two main places which have led to increased positives.

As of now I don't think anything is going to affect UW football playing on Saturday - at least not from the Governor.
  • Options
    spudenspuden Member Posts: 354
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Sweet. Another 10:30 pm EST game. 3/4 of scheduled games have been 10:30 pm or later. I guess if it’s going to be a bunch of shitty night games, this is the year to do it. But it sucks foe trying to be a fan living on the East Coast.
  • Options
    TheRoarOfTheCrowdTheRoarOfTheCrowd Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,608
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club

chuck said:

chuck said:

Why couldn’t they just continue to Vegas where the AZ buses could have gotten in 7 hours?
    I'm hearing that the logistics of organizing a game with no fans is too much on short notice because the two teams are 1200 miles apart.
    Didn't realize cleaning Cheeto stains off of sweatpants and occasionally climbing the stairs out of dads' basement qualifies so many people here to know conclusively how easy it is to organize a major sporting event! HCH just keeps surprising me.
    Loosen up Francis. This is supposed to be fun.

My feeling was that decision makers approached it the same way you did, which is the same way they made the decision to scrap the season in the first place...by taking a cursory look and deciding it sounded too difficult. Maybe it would have been. Maybe it would have been hard but worth it.

My only hard stance on the matter, in spite of my mockery, is that I dont trust the league to make the best decisions on such matters. Decision making has been so bad that it's now impossible, at least for me,, not to assume that every call made is wrong.
    You have no idea how loose I am. NO IDEA! Wait, what were we talking about?...

The word in this response that I've been keying on all along (and it's not to pick on you, as it seems most here react to bad news like my seven year old daughter being told candy for dinner isn't a thing) is "feeling." To be fair, I also have a "feeling" that the problem could have been solved and the game could have happened. The suggestions on how to solve the problem even seem reasonable. What stopped me from jumping straight to internet child tantrum was that I don't HAVE proof in HAND that my feeling isn't just me being ignorant of the logistics involved.

For all I knew, Jen (ILTCHJ) called Arizona and was told to fuck off. Or she called Arizona, game on, called the league, and was told to fuck off. Or called Arizona and the league, game on, but called the TV network and was told to fuck off. No point in playing a game in a season with no fans in the stands if it can't be on television. The default position should be to assume incompetence (see also: QB play, new offense, etc.), as past performance is all we have to go off, but an assumption isn't worth a tantrum. Show me actual evidence that a half-assed effort was made, and I'll be right there with all of you throwing the toys out of the pram.

Also, many harped on the whole 1200 mile thing. The point wasn't the distance of one flight relative to another, the point was that it would require a flight period. You're not going to get equipment or personnel 1200 miles over the road in a day, so it becomes a far bigger logistics problem. Personally, I had broadcast trucks and camera equipment in mind, but it turns out the actual sticking point was one of the team's football equipment not having time to make it over the road. Huh, not such a crazy concern after all... [/here_to_beat_my_chest]
    The AZ coaching staff reportedly said we dont twant to play a team [that probably is a better team than us] with no game film on them, no prep time to analyze their history and prepare our team for that teams tendencies, in other words no game plan just play... can't remember where I read it...

• Options
    1to392831weretaken1to392831weretaken Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,350
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

chuck said:

chuck said:

Why couldn’t they just continue to Vegas where the AZ buses could have gotten in 7 hours?
    I'm hearing that the logistics of organizing a game with no fans is too much on short notice because the two teams are 1200 miles apart.
    Didn't realize cleaning Cheeto stains off of sweatpants and occasionally climbing the stairs out of dads' basement qualifies so many people here to know conclusively how easy it is to organize a major sporting event! HCH just keeps surprising me.
    Loosen up Francis. This is supposed to be fun.

My feeling was that decision makers approached it the same way you did, which is the same way they made the decision to scrap the season in the first place...by taking a cursory look and deciding it sounded too difficult. Maybe it would have been. Maybe it would have been hard but worth it.

My only hard stance on the matter, in spite of my mockery, is that I dont trust the league to make the best decisions on such matters. Decision making has been so bad that it's now impossible, at least for me,, not to assume that every call made is wrong.
    You have no idea how loose I am. NO IDEA! Wait, what were we talking about?...

The word in this response that I've been keying on all along (and it's not to pick on you, as it seems most here react to bad news like my seven year old daughter being told candy for dinner isn't a thing) is "feeling." To be fair, I also have a "feeling" that the problem could have been solved and the game could have happened. The suggestions on how to solve the problem even seem reasonable. What stopped me from jumping straight to internet child tantrum was that I don't HAVE proof in HAND that my feeling isn't just me being ignorant of the logistics involved.

For all I knew, Jen (ILTCHJ) called Arizona and was told to fuck off. Or she called Arizona, game on, called the league, and was told to fuck off. Or called Arizona and the league, game on, but called the TV network and was told to fuck off. No point in playing a game in a season with no fans in the stands if it can't be on television. The default position should be to assume incompetence (see also: QB play, new offense, etc.), as past performance is all we have to go off, but an assumption isn't worth a tantrum. Show me actual evidence that a half-assed effort was made, and I'll be right there with all of you throwing the toys out of the pram.

Also, many harped on the whole 1200 mile thing. The point wasn't the distance of one flight relative to another, the point was that it would require a flight period. You're not going to get equipment or personnel 1200 miles over the road in a day, so it becomes a far bigger logistics problem. Personally, I had broadcast trucks and camera equipment in mind, but it turns out the actual sticking point was one of the team's football equipment not having time to make it over the road. Huh, not such a crazy concern after all... [/here_to_beat_my_chest]
    The AZ coaching staff reportedly said we dont twant to play a team [that probably is a better team than us] with no game film on them, no prep time to analyze their history and prepare our team for that teams tendencies, in other words no game plan just play... can't remember where I read it...

Well that's shitty. I kind of understand it, but still shitty.
  • Options
    BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,686
    Founders Club

My source to the Gov thinks that tonight Inslee wags his finger at us and says we're behaving badly, and that going backwards on stuff doesn't happen until next week. Supposedly, even if everything was locked down today, the COVID data still increases another 4% minimum next week. That gives him cover next week to roll back stuff on restaurants and bars, which are the two main places which have led to increased positives.

As of now I don't think anything is going to affect UW football playing on Saturday - at least not from the Governor.
    BleachedAnusDawg always right.