Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Odds of Tre’Shaun Harrison transferring to UW?

Comments

• Options
    backthepackbackthepack Member Posts: 19,795
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker 5 Awesomes

Changed my opinion. Bring him in. He has talent. He’s made some plays at FSU in a bad situation. Same age as Spiker and Osborne.

Agree with Teq that he might not be great, but if he progresses he might end up pretty good. Having a guy that can catch 30-40 passes a year and has big play potential is absolutely worth a scholly.

THIS! THERE WE GO ROADIE!
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs

Yeah like obviously a transfer receiver isn't guaranteed to fix all of our problems, he wouldn't be transferring otherwise. He's worth a shot, and if we get the attrition we are expecting we will have plenty of room.

Everybody always thinks that people are going to go pro or transfer out of the program

Most years people over-estimate the numbers

We will see after this weekend what we start hearing

My general sense is that any attrition allows for larger upcoming classes
  • Options

Tequilla said:

Tequilla said:

It does no good to take a student athlete that will not be successful in the classroom at UW ... it’s essentially ensuring attrition

That said we have strong education support in place ... so we shouldn’t be passing on kids just because they need the support either

It’s a delicate line to walk ...

But if a kid essentially tells us he isn’t here to play school ... that’s largely a pass for me

Good lord. It's like you have no idea what the Washington I attended was like.

They are two different things entirely.

The last Rose Bowl winning team at Washington was loaded with kids who were not there to play school.

Washington started becoming soft the second they started acting like a poor man's Cal.

If you want to be elite in football, you have to be flexible on this point. There are great players who are good students and a whole bunch more who aren't.

Washington ain't gonna get them all, so you do the maff.
    I was in school and knew a ton of people on that team ... so thanks for the history lesson

I’m not suggesting in any way that every player needs to be a Dean’s List candidate

What I am saying is that today’s UW isn’t going to look favorably of having news stories out there like Jerramy Stevens driving through people’s homes, guys running around assaulting people, or sexual assault. They also aren’t going to allow for any kind of narrative that suggests that players are being used for their athletic ability and that we don’t care about their education.

Basically, all the scummy shit that Oregon does are things we won’t do
    Doogy doogy dooooooooooooooooo!!!

You are so naive it's not even funny.

UW didn't look favorably on those things back then either. Gerberding hated all the shit that was going on in the football program. Tad Foote III hated everything about Miami football. I'm sure that the University of Chicago educated president of the University of Oregon isn't exactly down with the shady side of big time football. All university presidents hate big time sports.

UW isn't special in this regard. You just tell yourself that because it makes you feel more important than someone who went to school at Oregon or WSU or Arizona. You're not.

But still ....
    Never said that we treat it differently than a lot of other schools

Oregon has sold out to Nike ... that’s publicly written at this point

When UW has historically gotten out of balance in this regard, upper campus has made course corrections to recalibrate ... see Tyrone

• Options
    HouhuskyHouhusky Member Posts: 5,537
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Tequilla said:

Tequilla said:

Tequilla said:

It does no good to take a student athlete that will not be successful in the classroom at UW ... it’s essentially ensuring attrition

That said we have strong education support in place ... so we shouldn’t be passing on kids just because they need the support either

But if a kid essentially tells us he isn’t here to play school ... that’s largely a pass for me

The last Rose Bowl winning team at Washington was loaded with kids who were not there to play school.

Washington started becoming soft the second they started acting like a poor man's Cal.

If you want to be elite in football, you have to be flexible on this point. There are great players who are good students and a whole bunch more who aren't.

I was in school and knew a ton of people on that team ... so thanks for the history lesson

I’m not suggesting in any way that every player needs to be a Dean’s List candidate

What I am saying is that today’s UW isn’t going to look favorably of having news stories out there like Jerramy Stevens driving through people’s homes, guys running around assaulting people, or sexual assault. They also aren’t going to allow for any kind of narrative that suggests that players are being used for their athletic ability and that we don’t care about their education.

UW didn't look favorably on those things back then either. Gerberding hated all the shit that was going on in the football program. Tad Foote III hated everything about Miami football. I'm sure that the University of Chicago educated president of the University of Oregon isn't exactly down with the shady side of big time football. All university presidents hate big time sports.

UW isn't special in this regard. You just tell yourself that because it makes you feel more important than someone who went to school at Oregon or WSU or Arizona. You're not.

But still ....

When UW has historically gotten out of balance in this regard, upper campus has made course corrections to recalibrate ... see Tyrone

In an attempt to help Teq.

UW doesn’t have the Upper campus infrastructure, support, or local culture to play the same dirty game better than other schools.

UW instead should play the game it can play the best.

I agree with the sentiment, even though it might not be entirely applicable in this situation.
  • Options
    In fairness, I probably could have said what I meant better

When UW gets out of line it’s not necessarily in reference to paying players ... although it has clearly happened in the past

What I was referencing was more when the Athletic Dept delivers bad publicity to the University as a whole
  • Options
    HuskyJWHuskyJW Guest, Member Posts: 14,183
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes

Tequilla said:

Tequilla said:

Lol ok teq!

Show me the evidence that says he will be an assured difference maker ...

As someone else pointed out, his numbers so far are pedestrian and largely accumulated against the type of schools that we chide guys like Fuller and Opera Singer for doing well against.

He’s clearly a solid athlete and has a chance to be a good player.

When he was in HS and it became clear he wanted to be a WR, I didn’t see it on his film. He looked like a good RB and could have been special as a S ...

I’d be much more interested if coming to UW meant that he was spending his transfer year learning the S position
    He could have been recruited to do all the same things trey Lowe would do. But we felt it necessary to give that opportunity to the midget who quit.

Due to our lack of playmakers on offense in the years leading up to his class it was stupid to not offer him.

Not saying he will be amazing so don’t twist. But yes we should make room for him should he want to come. We don’t seem to be closing that great so it could be a blessing.
    Lowe was another guy that I didn’t like his WR film as much as I liked him at RB
    Agree. Would’ve been Barry Sanders 2.0.
    I thought that was Willie Hurst?
  • Options
    creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,741
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic
    edited December 2019
    Tequilla said:

Tequilla said:

Tequilla said:

But still ....

What, exactly, does "sold out to Nike" mean? Are you suggesting that there's a secret pipeline of money going to recruits? This is the kind of line that amateurs like Kim Grinolds comes up with. Until someone establishes it, it's not real. It's made up doog. Like 99% of what you read on doogman.com

UW was almost always out of balance under Don James. Rick's teams had nothing on Jame's teams in that regard. They hired Tyrone because a lot of people, quite a lot, thought it would be good to finally hire an AA coach and because the narrative of "he took Stanford to a Rose Bowl", back when saying that meant something, was popular. Not because of any sense that the program needed cleaning up.

Washington has never run a choir boy program. Sure as shit not when they were good and expected to win in early January. You are confusing Washington with the service academies and Duke.
  • Options
    Kingdome_UrinalsKingdome_Urinals Member Posts: 2,605
    First Comment 5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes

Houhusky said:

I only don’t want him so people will finally STFU about the Jordan Polk/mickens/Chico midget WR role.

Luckily he’s not a midget, but I get irrationally mad when people talk about the Chico role as if it’s vital we have someone like that. How about just signing good RB’s and good WR’s?
    Nothing is worse than hearing somebody talk about the "Chico role." Jesus.

• Options
    edited December 2019
    Houhusky said:

Tequilla said:

Tequilla said:

Tequilla said:

But still ....

UW doesn’t have the Upper campus infrastructure, support, or local culture to play the same dirty game better than other schools.

I agree with the sentiment, even though it might not be entirely applicable in this situation.
    Honestly, with no sarcasm intended, I don't know what that means.

As I said, Don James had plenty of teams that would make Rick's 2000 team seem tame. UW was never Oklahoma in the 80s or Nebraska in the 90s, but few programs are. Oregon isn't and hasn't been either.

UW having some super conservative "Stanford-like" upper campus that gets in the way of being elite is a doog myth. A big one.

Yes, there has been friction with upper campus. It came to a head when James thought they hung him out to dry. But there had been years, YEARS, of "managing" the football program before and after that. When I was tutoring at the EOP, I would get the skinny about shit - a lot of shit - going on that never made its way to general knowledge. When it leaked and made a scandal, upper campus expressed faux outrage.

Happens at almost every school. Even Baylor.
  • Options

Houhusky said:

Tequilla said:

Tequilla said:

Tequilla said:

But still ....

As I said, Don James had plenty of teams that would make Rick's 2000 team seem tame. UW was never Oklahoma in the 80s or Nebraska in the 90s, but few programs are. Oregon isn't and hasn't been either.

UW having some super conservative "Stanford-like" upper campus that gets in the way of being elite is a doog myth. A big one.

Yes, there has been friction with upper campus. It came to a head when James thought they hung him out to dry. But there had been years, YEARS, of "managing" the football program before and after that. When I was tutoring at the EOP, I would get the skinny about shit - a lot of shit - going on that never made its way to general knowledge. When it leaked and made a scandal, upper campus expressed faux outrage.

You are proving my point

No shit a ton of stuff goes on in programs that never make it out publicly

But the stuff that does, upper campus isn’t going to like. The degree and frequency of that information is what gets a program in hot water.

As for Oregon, there was a WSJ or whatever article about them and the influence that Nike/Uncle Phil has on them. That’s what I’m referencing. It’s a disturbing article.
  • Options
    Tequilla said:

Houhusky said:

Tequilla said:

Tequilla said:

Tequilla said:

But still ....

You are proving my point

But the stuff that does, upper campus isn’t going to like. The degree and frequency of that information is what gets a program in hot water.

As for Oregon, there was a WSJ or whatever article about them and the influence that Nike/Uncle Phil has on them. That’s what I’m referencing. It’s a disturbing article.
    I read it. It's a hack job. Fodder for doogs.

Every school in the country has one or more sugar daddies.

Knight has given loads of $$ to the school for non-athletic purposes and the end is not in sight. He cares about the school. People like you talk about the connection like it's ISIS or something. It's straight up cock envy.

NCAA rules are NCAA rules. Period. If they're broken, bust them. If not, shut up and compete and quit whining and pretending like you're above taking money or support. The Nike bit was invented by doogs, and only doogs harp on it.
  • Options
    Tequilla said:

Houhusky said:

Tequilla said:

Tequilla said:

Tequilla said:

But still ....

You are proving my point

No, I'm proving my point, which is that your point is FS.

So how, exactly, is Washington unique in this regard? When something embarrassing and public happens, most school admins react the same way within a range depending on the part of the country the school is in. Chip Kelley himself threw Cliff Harris off the team for smoking weed and getting speeding tickets. Which was a FS move. Willie Fucking Taggard dismissed Darren Carrington, a player they could ill-afford to lose, for a DUI. Fuck outta here with this shit. You're talking out of your ass. It's an excuse to be mediocre. DJ battled with Gerbs his entire career. Nothing, at all, has changed.

I've seen a Washington assistant basketball coach, in a TV interview, make the claim that they couldn't pull in the same recruits that many other P12 schools can get because Washington academis are more rigorous. JFC. And people like you buy it hook, line and sinker.
  • Options
    FireCohen said:

Tequilla said:

In fairness, I probably could have said what I meant better

When UW gets out of line it’s not necessarily in reference to paying players ... although it has clearly happened in the past

What I was referencing was more when the Athletic Dept delivers bad publicity to the University as a whole

Being brief and persuasive is not your forte
    FTFY