Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Apparently, there's a gay NFL player...

CheersWestDawgCheersWestDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,477 Swaye's Wigwam
that's about to come out soon.

Who do you guys think it is?

Comments

• CheersWestDawgCheersWestDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,477 Swaye's Wigwam
    Sven's $20 to whoever guesses correctly.
  • RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 104,468 Founders Club
    Depending on who you believe its anywhere from 1% to 10% of the league as that is the overall number. The over under is 5%
  • HuskyJWHuskyJW Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 14,332 Swaye's Wigwam
    Almost got in a fight in Corvallis when I made fun of Esera Tualo (sp).......
  • CheersWestDawgCheersWestDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,477 Swaye's Wigwam
    I bet it's a kicker or punter.
  • PassionPassion Member Posts: 4,622
    edited March 2013
    I don't want to get into a fight with any of you, but I think it's about time. First of all, I applaud the NFL for not allowing teams to ask about sexual orientation during the combine interviews. Why the hell should it matter? If some players have problems with a gay teammate, then THEY are the ones with the problem! If a gay player isn't making inappropriate advances toward a teammate (or breaking some other neutral code of conduct provision), then who cares?

I was pretty ticked off at Hugh Millen for saying (on KJR) that teams should have the right to ask about this. Uhh...why, Hugh? Should they also ask if a player is a Jew? Muslim? Catholic? How about if he is black but dates white women? Millen also said that some teams have more of an interest because they are in more difficult communities (San Francisco vs. Houston). So, fans will stop coming to games because 1 player is gay?

Apologies for going on a rant (actually...I'm not sorry). It's just time to get over this. I have plenty of gay friends in DC, and none of them have ever made me feel the least bit uncomfortable.

Now...allowing whites and blacks to use the same restrooms? That is something I can't tolerate. :-)
    Passion said:

I don't want to get into a fight with any of you, but I think it's about time. First of all, I applaud the NFL for not allowing teams to ask about sexual orientation during the combine interviews. Why the hell should it matter? If some players have problems with a gay teammate, then THEY are the ones with the problem! If a gay player isn't making inappropriate advances toward a teammate (or breaking some other neutral code of conduct provision), then who cares?

I was pretty ticked off at Hugh Millen for saying (on KJR) that teams should have the right to ask about this. Uhh...why, Hugh? Should they also ask if a player is a Jew? Muslim? Catholic? How about if he is black but dates white women? Millen also said that some teams have more of an interest because they are in more difficult communities (San Francisco vs. Houston). So, fans will stop coming to games because 1 player is gay?

Apologies for going on a rant (actually...I'm not sorry). It's just time to get over this. I have plenty of gay friends in DC, and none of them have ever made me feel the least bit uncomfortable.

Now...allowing whites and blacks to use the same restrooms? That is something I can't tolerate. :-)

So...who do you think it is?
    uhhh...probably not Ben Roethlesberger.
  • section8section8 Member Posts: 1,581
  • MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member Posts: 37,781
    Probably a running back. Best play is hitting the two hole.

Btw. I supports the gays. I support the troops and am against war. I'm also anti poverty. I hate cancer and I want to save the tatas. I'm against global warming and am pro clean water for everyone. I think the income inequity in this country is a travesty and think we should hate 1% because the get rich off the backs of the 99%. I am also anti gmo food. I'm a hit at cocktail parties. Everyone thinks I'm really cool because I show I care about others and that we should share.
  • MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member Posts: 37,781
    $100 says Passion changed his Facebook picture to the red equal sign. It's the least he could do. So he did that.

Probably a running back. Best play is hitting the two hole.

Btw. I supports the gays. I support the troops and am against war. I'm also anti poverty. I hate cancer and I want to save the tatas. I'm against global warming and am pro clean water for everyone. I think the income inequity in this country is a travesty and think we should hate 1% because the get rich off the backs of the 99%. I am also anti gmo food. I'm a hit at cocktail parties. Everyone thinks I'm really cool because I show I care about others and that we should share.

I bet you're also against hunger, too.
    Actually, I didn't do the red sign. What I did do, however, is sit back and make snarky comments on the internet about anyone who cared about it. Actually, that's what I do about anyone that cares about anything.
  • RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 104,468 Founders Club
    Passion said:

Actually, I didn't do the red sign. What I did do, however, is sit back and make snarky comments on the internet about anyone who cared about it. Actually, that's what I do about anyone that cares about anything.

That was pretty good

Passion said:

That was pretty good
    I'm learning the culture of this website. Gawd help me if it completely takes over my personality.
  • DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 62,350 Founders Club
    Passion said:

Passion said:

That was pretty good
    I'm learning the culture of this website. Gawd help me if it completely takes over my personality.
    Resistance is futile, young Skywalker
  • WhiskeyDawgWhiskeyDawg Member Posts: 406
    Duh. Chip Kelly is now in the NFL.
  • HillsboroDuckHillsboroDuck Member Posts: 9,186
    edited March 2013
    I'll keep my answer on the down low.

edited March 2013
    section8 said:

Tim Tebow?

Ironically enough, whoever it is is going to become the next Tim Tebow, albeit to a different group of people. Whichever active player is the first to come out is going to cause a media circus and be painted as a national hero no matter how crappy of a football player he may or may not be. He will become bigger than the team, and his story will become bigger than wins and losses.

Like Tebow he'll obviously have his share of haters, but in this case they'll be mostly relegated to anonymous message boards, private conversations and a few randoms yelling slurs from the stands. No one in the mainstream media will dare say anything but the most glowing things possible, and the home stadium will fill up with signs of support. His jersey sales will increase tenfold at a bare minimum.

I'm sure it's not him, but the player who would stand the most to gain from coming out is Michael Vick. More likely it's someone fairly anonymous who will never be anonymous again.
    Passion said:

Passion said:

That was pretty good
    Some things can't be unlearned.

HardcoreHusky will invade real life. Believe dat.

section8 said:

Tim Tebow?

Ironically enough, whoever it is is going to become the next Tim Tebow, albeit to a different group of people. Whichever active player is the first to come out is going to cause a media circus and be painted as a national hero no matter how crappy of a football player he may or may not be. He will become bigger than the team, and his story will become bigger than wins and losses.

Like Tebow he'll obviously have his share of haters, but in this case they'll be mostly relegated to anonymous message boards, private conversations and a few randoms yelling slurs from the stands. No one in the mainstream media will dare say anything but the most glowing things possible, and the home stadium will fill up with signs of support. His jersey sales will increase tenfold at a bare minimum.

I'm sure it's not him, but the player who would stand the most to gain from coming out is Michael Vick. More likely it's someone fairly anonymous who will never be anonymous again.
    For the first NFL player that "comes out," his performance on the field is irrelevant, IMO. Rather, it's the courage to step out of the closet in perhaps the most machismo professional sport. There are already ways to recognize great players - MVP, Pro Bowl, increased salary, bonus, etc. I don't quite see anything wrong with positive public recognition of a guy that becomes the first to say he's gay.

You said the "mainstream media" will not criticize him. Well, why would the media criticize him? If he fumbles the ball, misses tackles, or drops passes, then criticize him like any other player. But criticize just because he's gay?

Heck, when grinolds, fetters, and eklund eventually reveal their own torrid love triangle, I will still limit my criticism to the way they've destroyed dawgman.com.