Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Jimmy waiting until after the bowl to make staff changes

Comments

• Options
    DHDDHD Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,407
    5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes First Anniversary
    Founders Club
    We're all assuming that Hamdan was actually running the offense.

I'm hoping that if Hamdan is actually retained, it's because he thought that Pete's offense was bullshit and that he's already sold Jimmy on the idea that sticking with Pete's offense isn't his plan moving forward.

We can hope.
  • Options
    EmotermanEmoterman Member Posts: 3,333
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    DHD said:

We're all assuming that Hamdan was actually running the offense.

I'm hoping that if Hamdan is actually retained, it's because he thought that Pete's offense was bullshit and that he's already sold Jimmy on the idea that sticking with Pete's offense isn't his plan moving forward.

We can hope.

HamMan is damaged goods at this point, the players' context for him is failure. He's got stink on him.

Just hire Taggart and have a truly elite recruiting milieu.
  • Options
    DomicilloDomicillo Member Posts: 3,025
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment

Good points made by everybody.

The most interesting part of the press conference was when asked about the difference between himself and Pete, Jimmy talked about "the focus on the X's and O's and football strategy." I understand Pete viewed coaching as more than just football, and building men, but dude... Your first job is as a football coach. Had strategy to, you know, actually winning games taken that much of a backseat? I know it seemed like it from the outside, but that's a pretty damning quote.

Pete had a pretty complicated offense. It didn’t look that way, and a lot of the playcalling was obvious, but no young guy seemed to pick it up quickly.

I don’t like Jimmy harping on that. It’s almost like he has to prove that he is smart. I want to hear about kicking the shit out of the other team.

Ultimately tho, all of this is sizzle and he will either win or lose and it will have nothing to do with the press conferences.
    First order of business: Facial hair makeover.

THEN we can start talking about kicking the shit out of the other team.
    Now that’s aggressive
  • Options
    KaepskneeKaepsknee Member Posts: 14,750
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    So if Pete let everyone know on Saturday that his Xmas tree was on the curb, why is Lake not an interim coach? Did He tell Cohen fuck you, it’s permanent or I’m gone? And she said fuck it, you got the job?

This is weird shit. Why wouldn’t UW let it play out and see who else that they could get?

Or was there a player vote ala their neighbor to the south?

Something about a stink in Rotterdam comes to mind.
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Houhusky said:

I just wish the Chipster got fired from UCLA and was available to hire on as the OC.

Jimmy being a first time coach that was internally promoted after being with Pete for the past 8 years is going to have a little bit harder time finding an established OC; his connections are a more limited and there are going to be some OCs that are going to be hesitant to work for a first time HC or want to bring a bunch of their own assistants.

If Jimmy expects/wants to hang on to almost the entire existing staff he is really going to limit his options.

Sounds like he will try to hang on to Huff and maybe Adams atleast.

NFL. Jimmy has to know someone from his days in the league. Someone that can get the OL playing confident and fixes the passing game.
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    There was no reason for a full search here
  • Options
    KaepskneeKaepsknee Member Posts: 14,750
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    edited December 2019
    dnc said:

salemcoog said:

So if Pete let everyone know on Saturday that his Xmas tree was on the curb, why is Lake not an interim coach? Did He tell Cohen fuck you, it’s permanent or I’m gone? And she said fuck it, you got the job?

This is weird shit. Why wouldn’t UW let it play out and see who else that they could get?

They had established Lake as the coach in waiting behind the scenes because they knew Pete only had a couple years left, but Pete decided to walk away sooner than anticipated.

Lake as coach in waiting was pretty much an open secret. Pete leaving this year is the surprise.

I agree I would have preferred a full scale search.
    Its weird that given the ascent of the program the last 5 years, you would give a guy that has no proof that He’s ready yet, the reigns based on a promise whose context is completely different, in the here and now, all l things considered.

This wreaks of panic to me.
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    salemcoog said:

dnc said:

salemcoog said:

They had established Lake as the coach in waiting behind the scenes because they knew Pete only had a couple years left, but Pete decided to walk away sooner than anticipated.

Lake as coach in waiting was pretty much an open secret. Pete leaving this year is the surprise.

Its weird that given the ascent of the program the last 5 years, you would give a guy that has no proof that He’s ready yet, the reigns based on a promise whose context is completely different all things considered.

I don't think it's panic.

Overconfidence is definitely a possibility.
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    salemcoog said:

dnc said:

salemcoog said:

Its weird that given the ascent of the program the last 5 years, you would give a guy that has no proof that He’s ready yet, the reigns based on a promise whose context is completely different, in the here and now, all l things considered.

It’s what programs that think they have a good thing going do. I’m not saying UW is Oklahoma or Ohio State, but they have the job to the OC’s. I guess Lincoln Riley was promoted in the Summer, but still.
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    dnc said:

Tequilla said:

Says the guy who thought we'd be better off without Lake as DB coach because of one temporarily subpar recruiting class.
    Out of context
  • Options
    CallMeBigErnCallMeBigErn Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 4,151
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Founders Club
    edited December 2019
    chuck said:

doogville said:

please believe people will know they are fired and others will have been all but hired before the bowl game.

dude has had this job for 24hrs, i get that he doesn't want to announce firings at his intro press conference.

everything he said about taking aggressiveness and a passion for strategy to the other phases = offensive staff changes are coming.

DoogDawg said:

Jimmy literally can't fire anyone till after the bowl game since he's not the head coach until then. You really think Pete wants his last move as head coach to be firing guys he's known for twenty years? Calm down.

Plus, we need to current staff to stay in tact until after signing day to keep the current class in tact through signing day.

Reading between the lines, Jimmy's comments about being "aggressive" on offense and punting on the the coaching staff question indicates pretty heavily that he's going to be firing some coaches.

No shit and no shit. The reactions on this board to coach speak, which anything Lake says to the media right now qualifies as, continue to amaze me. Everyone here has been following this shit long enough to know better.

The people who need to know what's going on know. HTH.
    People love to hear themselves clack a semen-encrusted keyboard. Fact.
  • Options
    HillsboroDuckHillsboroDuck Member Posts: 9,186
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    edited December 2019

salemcoog said:

dnc said:

salemcoog said:

It’s what programs that think they have a good thing going do. I’m not saying UW is Oklahoma or Ohio State, but they have the job to the OC’s. I guess Lincoln Riley was promoted in the Summer, but still.
    Yep.

Lipo.
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Tequilla said:

dnc said:

Tequilla said:

Says the guy who thought we'd be better off without Lake as DB coach because of one temporarily subpar recruiting class.
    Out of context
    Not even a little bit
  • Options
    whuggywhuggy Member Posts: 2,088
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    edited December 2019

I’ll give some names for OC. Jimmy Lake coached in Tampa Bay under John Gruden and Raheem Morris.

Jay Gruden - A long shot because he’s a NFL guy. He’s available tho. Coached on the same staff as Lake.

Nathaniel Hacket - OC for the Packers. Also a long shot. Also coached on that staff.

Alex Van Pelt- Bengals QB coach. Also was Green Bay’s QB coach before that.

Greg Olson - Journeyman shitty OC in the NFL. He has been pretty underwhelming everywhere he goes and continues to get jobs. I hope not.

Lake has overlap with many coaches on the John Gruden and Jay Gruden coaching tree. I think a NFL guy would be good for recruiting too because recruits always comment on how they want to play in the NFL and these guys know what it takes to get there.

NFL offense have gotten more creative and have a lot of good young coaches. LSU’s brainchild came from the Saints.

From college, Zak Hill at Boise State. The Boise State part will make people here wince, but he’s not associated with Pete. He coached with Beau Baldwin and was their OC before Baldwin went to Cal.

He coached with Junior Adams and Huff too so after doing some research, I wouldn’t be shocked if he’s the favorite for the job. Say what you want, but Boise churns our good coaches. Oregon hired their DC Avalos from there and he has done a good job.

The San Diego State guy would be good. I know there are tons of others that are too hard to think of.

I know it's a long shot and a horizontal move but at least put in a phone call to Chip Long. Runs a multiple offense similar to UW and is a top, top recruiter. ND doesn't publish salaries but it would have to be a significant upgrade to get his attention. It's a shoot for the moon suggestion but why not.

Edit: And now I see he's a candidate for Ole Miss. Oh well. Man he's a fast riser.
  • Options
    haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 20,494
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Let's take the ~1 mil difference from Pete to Lake's salary, throw a little more on it and just get Mike Leach.

Given his post apple cup comments he would love to come be our OC and get the fuck out of cuoewuogville.