Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Jimmy waiting until after the bowl to make staff changes

Comments

• Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    You aren’t out on the road recruiting unless you are expected to be part of the staff going forward

Always pay attention to what isn’t being said vs what is ... what about a picture doesn’t make sense
  • Options
    WoofWoof Member Posts: 769
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment

Good points made by everybody.

The most interesting part of the press conference was when asked about the difference between himself and Pete, Jimmy talked about "the focus on the X's and O's and football strategy." I understand Pete viewed coaching as more than just football, and building men, but dude... Your first job is as a football coach. Had strategy to, you know, actually winning games taken that much of a backseat? I know it seemed like it from the outside, but that's a pretty damning quote.

Pete had a pretty complicated offense. It didn’t look that way, and a lot of the playcalling was obvious, but no young guy seemed to pick it up quickly.

I don’t like Jimmy harping on that. It’s almost like he has to prove that he is smart. I want to hear about kicking the shit out of the other team.

Ultimately tho, all of this is sizzle and he will either win or lose and it will have nothing to do with the press conferences.
    Just because it was complicated doesn't mean it was strategically sound. It was kind of a jumbled mess. I get what you're saying, but I didn't get the feeling Jimmy was trying to prove he was smart.

I got the sense that Jimmy watched our offense trip over their dicks for years being too cute, and as a defensive mind, knew it was easy to shut down. I like the idea of a defensive minded coach hiring an offensive coordinator because he can vet them through a lens of "what makes my life hell?" Do that.
    Petersen's offense was always supposed to be so complex it was hard to defend, but ended up so complex to implement it was hard to run. Finding the right balance between complex to defend but easy to implement is what we need.
  • Options
    HFNYHFNY Member Posts: 4,523
    Standard Supporter
    Hamden is a goner (or demoted to QB coach but that would mean hiring another offensive coach and dropping a D coach and that's not likely).

Sounds like Gregory is a goner per Lake's comments about special teams (and his lack of recruiting in 2016 and 2017 hurt badly this year). A soft landing for Gregory could be Fresno State with Tedford or going back to Cal and coaching for Wilcox.

Huff is a good recruiter but the OL underwhelmed too many times this year. He could be in line for a raise and title promotion (associate head coach or something along those lines).

I'm thankful that this process will could be helpful financially. Lake is making about $1.5 million less than Petersen was and it's unlikely the coach they'll replace him with will be making $1.1 million. Even with paying more for a better OC, it never hurts to save about $2 million in 2020 since the department is still paying off the stadium debt.

• Options
    Mosster47Mosster47 Member Posts: 6,246
    Great job on your diversity Mark Helfrich hire.

I'm fairly confident (insert mediocre coach) will be better than (insert mediocre coach).

Always thrilling to know you're retaining a defense that loses to every team that takes running the ball seriously. This should work out well.

Your 25 year plan to lose a Rose Bowl is still firmly in place. It will be interesting.
  • Options
    backthepackbackthepack Member Posts: 19,796
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker 5 Awesomes
    edited December 2019
    I mean dude he’s not going to fire anyone right now when Petersen is coaching the bowl game... lol.
  • Options
    backthepackbackthepack Member Posts: 19,796
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker 5 Awesomes
    Mosster47 said:

Great job on your diversity Mark Helfrich hire.

I'm fairly confident (insert mediocre coach) will be better than (insert mediocre coach).

Always thrilling to know you're retaining a defense that loses to every team that takes running the ball seriously. This should work out well.

Your 25 year plan to lose a Rose Bowl is still firmly in place. It will be interesting.

The defense was never the problem, hth
  • Options
    GreenRiverGatorzGreenRiverGatorz Member Posts: 10,147
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Tequilla said:

You aren’t out on the road recruiting unless you are expected to be part of the staff going forward

Always pay attention to what isn’t being said vs what is ... what about a picture doesn’t make sense

Thanks for the ambiguity, Grinolds.

In all seriousness though, I don't think many people actually thought Huff was on the chopping block. He's recruiting well and despite the disagreement about the success of the OL, he's not coaching an obviously flawed unit. Hamden, Gregory, and apparently Paopao (according to sonics) are the only coaches with potential couch sales incoming.
  • Options
    DawgDaze71DawgDaze71 Member Posts: 704
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Hamdan’s on the recruiting trail. I guess Jimmy’s gonna keep him.
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam

Can't edit, but just now reading Caple's latest and this addresses what we're both getting at @RoadDawg55 :

Here’s what Lake said later to a small group of reporters, asked if he favors a particular offensive style: “I know what I don’t like facing. I know what creates problems. I know what’s easy from a defensive standpoint. And we’ll continue to research what will be the best style. But I do know this: It’s going to be physical, it’s going to be bruising, it’s going to be attacking and it’s going to be aggressive.”

That’s good to hear. I like the idea of being physical. I think it’s the easiest way to have year in, year out success in the PAC 12. It’s a soft conference, although it’s gotten less so.
  • Options
    CanadawgCanadawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 4,056
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam

I'm starting to warm up to this hire,

mostly because I like saying "Jimmy" and, as a die-hard Hurricane, I like shit talkers.

Sign me up for a seat on the Jimmy Train.

Actually Jimmy was his DC name. You're talking about coach James Lake now.
  • Options
    HFNYHFNY Member Posts: 4,523
    Standard Supporter
    Sounds like Lake wants to start recruiting more mobile QBs who can put pressure on a D and dictate coverages more with his running ability.
  • Options
    HouhuskyHouhusky Member Posts: 5,537
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    I just wish the Chipster got fired from UCLA and was available to hire on as the OC.

Jimmy being a first time coach that was internally promoted after being with Pete for the past 8 years is going to have a little bit harder time finding an established OC; his connections are a more limited and there are going to be some OCs that are going to be hesitant to work for a first time HC or want to bring a bunch of their own assistants.

If Jimmy expects/wants to hang on to almost the entire existing staff he is really going to limit his options.

Sounds like he will try to hang on to Huff and maybe Adams atleast.
  • Options
    insinceredawginsinceredawg Member Posts: 5,117
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Tequilla said:

Pay attention to what is going on ...

Lake is focusing on visiting with offensive recruits ...

He’s taking Huff with him ...

Huff makes sense when going to Ferndale ...

Makes a little less sense when considering wide range of positions in California ... and once again it is Huff going with Jimmy

Then ask yourself why?

Why?
  • Options
    DoogWhispererDoogWhisperer Member Posts: 1,017
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment
    Is paopao gone for sure?