Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Pre-Apple Cup 2019 Pole: Fire or Keep Petersen

124»

Comments

• LebamDawgLebamDawg Member Posts: 8,667 Standard Supporter
    Keep

PurpleJ said:

Fuck Manchester and fuck our loser cuck fanbase. UW football is never coming back.

I can’t keep track of what PL team you like. They’re all loser towns outside of London are they not?
    I have it on good authority that Manchester is a cool fucking city, man.
    must be cool - they wrote a song about it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXQRNIROJ0g
  • BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member Posts: 11,191
    Keep

PurpleJ said:

You can fire him next year or ten years from now if it makes your loose Seattle cunts feel better.

Fuck this program. I hate our fans. I hope you all step on a dirty needle and catch AIDS.

ROLL TIDE!

P.S. Happy Thanksgiving! Had to get that in there for @Swaye

Move to Manchester @PurpleJ. Cool fucking soccer fag city, man.
    I'm pretty sure that Pup's trip to Manchester was actually just a ferry ride across the sound to Manchester outside of Port Orchard.
  • DoubleJDawgDoubleJDawg Member Posts: 603
    Keep
    I guess he probably deserves another year...

...but I don't think he has it in him to make the vast level of change required, and he has to go after another (likely) 4-5 loss season next year. I hear all this doogish praise of his "detail orientation", but I'm actually not sure what details on the field he is actively focusing on. Things we know he doesn't seem to focus on are: dropped passes, what players are on the field during the game, weekly depth charts, stats, clock/game management, player development particularly on offense, offensive effectiveness, managing incoming player numbers and coaches performance in recruiting, etc.

The whole program is testament to many unmanaged details. I wouldn't be against firing him this year for this level of coaching malpractice, but of course that will never happen. If we lose out from here, I wouldn't be surprised by a retirement, either, similar to him bailing on Boise after his last 8-4 year.
  • FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
    Fire
    Lolz some are seeing the way of @FirePete
  • FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
    Fire

Unpopular (around here) opinion:
    I'm not a win at all cost guy. If I wanted to see "my guys" lie, cheat, and steal their way to a championship, I'd just skip football altogether and follow politics. Although I'm sure there's at least some amount of grey (or beyond) area travelling to avoid being completely noncompetitive, I like that the staff runs a relatively clean program. I like not having a Louis CK moment once or twice per season and finding out that the guy I was just cheering for Saturday beat the shit out of his girlfriend, stole some lady's purse, or raped a sorority girl earlier in the season, and I'm just now hearing about it. I like that Petersen tends to genuinely care about the players' futures and well being. Call me a pussy, but that kind of stuff gives me the warm tinglies. Hire Urbs, and Washington's in the playoffs again by '21. And I'll be watching something else.
    So it's with no small amount of cognitive dissonance that I'm starting to haaaaaaate Chris Petersen. I hate his fucking clock management. I hate his fucking lack of preparation two or three times per season. I hate his fucking squandering of talent. I hate how fucking tedious it is to watch every loss and every win. I hate how every time this team plays somebody with even slightly more talent, I have ZERO hope of victory. Zero. By the end of last season, I was already starting to hate-watch games, but at least I was mostly hate-watching wins. There were a lot of markers of program stability: Every loss is close, no blowouts, solid defense always, excellent fundamentals like tackling, don't give up big plays, don't lose consecutive games, don't lose after a bye, solid upper tier recruiting, players improving every year in the program, a steady stream of NFLers coming out of the program, focus on the trenches, etc. That stability suggested that a ridiculously frustrating ten wins was the floor, and it seemed insane to complain about that, frustrating or not.
    This season, every single one of those markers of stability have been ratfucked away. All of the goodwill and benefit of the doubt have been thrown in the trash. Program momentum is a large number with a negative sign in front. It makes all that tedium and annoyance and all of those warts all the more awful: "You used to be a shitty game day coach who's perhaps the best Sunday through Friday coach in the country, so the wins come anyway. Now you're a shitty game day coach who loses to Colorado and Cal. It's not worth it anymore."
    I want a coach who does things the right way, so I don't want to fire Chris Petersen. But I also want to win, and I'm increasingly thinking Chris Petersen isn't the guy for that. So I'm kind of at a loss. I'm getting a lot more work done around the house on Saturdays now, though, so at least I've got that going for me. Which is nice.

This is exactly how I feel. To the fucking T. You have joined my spirit animal group (I actually think we already figured this out over the summer).

Pete has one chance to fix this. Either he can or he can’t. I expect him to, but, my faith is eroding.

Faith is great strategy
  • TurdBomberTurdBomber Member Posts: 19,891 Standard Supporter
    Fire
    Swaye said:

I've seen enough. Too much of an uptight pussy. And the whitest cracker I've ever seen.

I am known for being angry around Thanksgiving.

I am known for eagerly anticipating @Swaye's incendiary literary rants around Thanksgiving.
    Fire

whlinder said:

This board has gone soft. Demanding the firing of coaches for not going 15-0 is what we do.

It’s something that’s easy to call for cause it isn’t going to happen. Long run odds are that wanting him fired is the correct call, and if proven wrong well then that’s fun and awesome.

Odds are Pete probably isn't going to be Dabo and we aren't leveling up to Clemson. But I'd say for the moment, it's longer odds that his replacement would be an improvement. There just aren't that many infallible, walk on water coaches out there.

Furthermore, our own history suggest, if you give a coach who's had some good success 17 years they can get it done, eventually
    Cohen landed Hopkins. She could definitely land the next great up-and-comer football coach
    The UW fanbase deserves Peterson for being impressed by his Mountain West winning percentages.
    Fire

He's not going to get any better, so he needs to be replaced. He's shit the bed and got crushed in 3 straight NY6 bowels. How many times does a guy have to lose before he earns the mantle of "Loser?"
    He's also lost literally every "Big Game" the dawgs have played in during his tenure. Anybody who stands up to his Mountain West fake tuffness kicks his ass. He is not a great coach, nor worthy of the 5 mil per year we're paying him in UW's vulnerable state to erase the memories of Willingham.
    He won't get fired, but I'll enjoy watching him coach to keep his job next year.
    But UW will still keep him through 2021, at least, I predict.

PAC 12 titles games aren’t big games? I guarantee if we lost them they would be. Same of some of the Apple Cups, Oregon games that we won, Stanford.

The losses to shitty teams are worse than the ones in big games to me.

It’s disappointing. These labels are stupid tho. Jay Wright and Tony Bennett got bounced early every NCAA tournament before they broke thru.

Gotta get yourself in the position to play in big games first.
    Fuck No, Pac12 Title Games are not "big games," They are pedestrian AF meaningless games that only perpetuate the delusion that the Pac12 matters to the rest of the CFB world. That should be obvious.
    Fire

Pete choked the 2 biggest games of the year, and lost to 3 dog shit teams that shouldn’t even be able to contend with us. Sure we haven’t beat USC that often, but they suck this year, so who fucking cares now.

The annual no show game against an inferior opponents, the annual shit your pants against a talented team game, and the annual offensive woes are proof that he is who he is. If he turns it around next year and we return to NY6, I’ll ease up, but I’m guessing we are in for more of the same.

Nothing will change.

Gotta fix it now or it will continue. Pete is very late to make changes. I would fire him if there was actually a chance to get a sure upgrade, but I doubt there is so I’ll stick with the mostly consistent winner and hold onto doog hope that he can string together some big years.

This is a perfect example of "Battered UW Fan Syndrome." Thanks, Ty.
  • RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member Posts: 30,123
    Keep

whlinder said:

This board has gone soft. Demanding the firing of coaches for not going 15-0 is what we do.

It’s something that’s easy to call for cause it isn’t going to happen. Long run odds are that wanting him fired is the correct call, and if proven wrong well then that’s fun and awesome.

Odds are Pete probably isn't going to be Dabo and we aren't leveling up to Clemson. But I'd say for the moment, it's longer odds that his replacement would be an improvement. There just aren't that many infallible, walk on water coaches out there.

Furthermore, our own history suggest, if you give a coach who's had some good success 17 years they can get it done, eventually
    Cohen landed Hopkins. She could definitely land the next great up-and-comer football coach
    The UW fanbase deserves Peterson for being impressed by his Mountain West winning percentages.
    It’s irrelevant now, but it was high and he beat plenty of good teams when he was there.

I do think Boise State kind of coaches itself. It’s not a tough place to win.
  • BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member Posts: 11,191
    Keep

I secretly am hoping that he decides he's sick of the shit being flung at him and steps down after this season.

Bump.