Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

The Irony of Chris Petersen

13»

Comments

• TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,825

Tequilla said:

godawgst said:

whlinder said:

Starting to think he’s lost his passion for coaching. Wonder if he will hang it up this offseason.

I had speculated that his move from Boise to UW was in the hopes of rekindling some passion for coaching football.
    Boise insiders sad as much when he left that he seemed burnt out.

He has said he won't be coaching past 60.

I believe he has a 5 year run left in him, and doesn't want to go out like this, so will make the decision to let go of the offense.

You could win a NC with the 2016-17 defenses he had. He will look for a guy/system to do what Ohio State/LSU did when they had their offensive issues and take the final step in being able to win the whole thing.

But... How do you know he is aware that he's the problem?
    I don’t think he can avoid it. He knows it all ends with him. Whether he will make successful changes is another issue.
    If he knew that he would have addressed it far sooner.
    Everything @godawgst said is spot on

The work done in the offseason was an effort of “I’m going to step in and we’ll figure out the right changes to make ...

Instead of getting better it got worse ... that’s not lost on successful people

Consultants get paid big bucks because leaders realize they don’t have all the answers

Pete is now at that point in his career
    I agree on the above but you missed the point.
    Didn’t miss the point at all

Your premise is that Pete has no knowledge of what and where the problems are

My experience is most successful people are often very aware of what is going on around them and are often the most self aware

It’s possible that Pete isn’t self aware ... we will know how aware he is by the changes he makes in the offseason

godawgst said:

whlinder said:

Starting to think he’s lost his passion for coaching. Wonder if he will hang it up this offseason.

I had speculated that his move from Boise to UW was in the hopes of rekindling some passion for coaching football.

I believe he has a 5 year run left in him, and doesn't want to go out like this, so will make the decision to let go of the offense.

You could win a NC with the 2016-17 defenses he had. He will look for a guy/system to do what Ohio State/LSU did when they had their offensive issues and take the final step in being able to win the whole thing.

I don’t think he can avoid it. He knows it all ends with him. Whether he will make successful changes is another issue.
    A man who willingly goes four years with Browning and does nothing to rectify it lacks self-awareness. Right now it's hazy whether he realizes that he is the problem and will have the humility to remove himself from the equation.
    Was there ever a QB on the roster better than Browning?

When he put Haener in against Cal how did that work out?

godawgst said:

whlinder said:

A man who willingly goes four years with Browning and does nothing to rectify it lacks self-awareness. Right now it's hazy whether he realizes that he is the problem and will have the humility to remove himself from the equation.
    He didn’t have anyone better. That’s still his fault, but you don’t make a change just to make a change. I think it would be pretty hard to think Browning was going to flame out like he did after his first two years in the program.

I think he’s aware he’s the problem. Whether he can completely remove himself from meddling is a fair question. Same for whether he can make the right hire.
    Agree with all that except with Browning he could have at least brought in a JC transfer to offer competition to Browning and offer a wake up call to his sense of entitlement.
    1) JC players don’t show up at UW

2) JC QBs rarely make a material difference in CFB
  • BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member Posts: 11,214
    Pete took a JC quarterback while Browning was here and the guy ended up getting married and quitting the team, IIRC.
  • RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member Posts: 30,123

Pete took a JC quarterback while Browning was here and the guy ended up getting married and quitting the team, IIRC.

I think he came the same year as Browning. I don’t think he quit. He got pushed out after graduation because he had a family.
  • RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member Posts: 30,123
    edited November 2019

With a weak AF OOC and all of the talent on this roster we are ranked 123rd in PPG. That's not "execution" Pete. That's your system.

If the players can’t execute the plays that are called that’s a coaching problem anyways. Coaching is about getting the most out of your talent. Pete is absolutely horrible at adjusting his scheme to his personnel. He’s had plenty of time to recruit his guys for his system and it still failed. We haven’t maximized our talent on offense for years.
  • GladstoneGladstone Member Posts: 16,419
    The talent argument is bogus. The performance of his talented teams against decent teams show he has no idea how to prepare a team from a temperament or scheme perspective to win these games. That is a requirement for the position. He must make radical, fundamental changes to the program. Or go.