Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

The Irony of Chris Petersen

Comments

• PurpleJPurpleJ Member Posts: 37,020 Founders Club
    edited November 2019
    godawgst said:

PurpleJ said:

godawgst said:

godawgst said:

whlinder said:

Starting to think he’s lost his passion for coaching. Wonder if he will hang it up this offseason.

I had speculated that his move from Boise to UW was in the hopes of rekindling some passion for coaching football.
    Boise insiders sad as much when he left that he seemed burnt out.

He has said he won't be coaching past 60.

I believe he has a 5 year run left in him, and doesn't want to go out like this, so will make the decision to let go of the offense.

You could win a NC with the 2016-17 defenses he had. He will look for a guy/system to do what Ohio State/LSU did when they had their offensive issues and take the final step in being able to win the whole thing.

But... How do you know he is aware that he's the problem?
    Do you think he honestly doesn't know his offense has major problems?

The vast majority of highly successful driven people are keenly aware of everything around them.

I can see a scenario where he thought the issues were at the qb position with Browning the last 4 years.

This year showed him it goes beyond that.

Strausser couldn't recruit and he made the change
    Pease couldn't coach or recruit and he made the change
    Lubick checked out last year and he made the change.

Pete will make the change at OC in the next month. The question becomes does he hire someone and give them full reign and total control of the offense, or we get another guy who will just run what Pete wants.
    Who started Browning for 4 years? Who picked the OCs?

Stop making excuses for Pete’s poor judgement you fucking doog.
    Einstein the question was how doesn't Pete know he's the problem and I gave a scenario that was plausible.

We all get that it starts and stops with Pete and it's on him.

You want him fired.

I think he's earned the chance to have a come to Jesus moment about his offense.
    I’m not a party to that argument. I was adding my two cents on the mental gymnastics you doogs go though to try and find hope that a dumb coach will all of a sudden get smarter.

You seem to think he is going to up and revamp his offense while winningly acknowledging that he has made the same shitty OC hire twice and chose to start Browning for four years on top of that.

Maybe you are right that he deserves the chance to unfuck himself, but his past decision-making strongly suggests that he won’t.

I’m for firing his ass now, and not having another throwaway year. I have all the evidence I need, you battered wife fucking doog. In the face of all the evidence you still hold out hope that next time will be different. I almost feel bad for you.
    Tequilla said:

godawgst said:

whlinder said:

Starting to think he’s lost his passion for coaching. Wonder if he will hang it up this offseason.

I had speculated that his move from Boise to UW was in the hopes of rekindling some passion for coaching football.

I believe he has a 5 year run left in him, and doesn't want to go out like this, so will make the decision to let go of the offense.

You could win a NC with the 2016-17 defenses he had. He will look for a guy/system to do what Ohio State/LSU did when they had their offensive issues and take the final step in being able to win the whole thing.

I don’t think he can avoid it. He knows it all ends with him. Whether he will make successful changes is another issue.
    If he knew that he would have addressed it far sooner.
    Everything @godawgst said is spot on

The work done in the offseason was an effort of “I’m going to step in and we’ll figure out the right changes to make ...

Instead of getting better it got worse ... that’s not lost on successful people

Consultants get paid big bucks because leaders realize they don’t have all the answers

Pete is now at that point in his career
    He was at that point in 2015 and half fixed it with the consultant play, then reverted to dumbfuckery by keeping Smith around. He doubled down with Bush.

He can change. Everyone says so.
    edited November 2019
    I won’t even mention all the dumb personnel decisions like starting a cripple at LT or the shitty receivers, or the bad clock management, or Bob Gregory, or promoting Lake to DC. I’m classy so I won’t do that.

Hold out hope guys! We’re gonna level up!
  • TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,825
    PurpleJ said:

Tequilla said:

godawgst said:

whlinder said:

I don’t think he can avoid it. He knows it all ends with him. Whether he will make successful changes is another issue.

The work done in the offseason was an effort of “I’m going to step in and we’ll figure out the right changes to make ...

Consultants get paid big bucks because leaders realize they don’t have all the answers

He was at that point in 2015 and half fixed it with the consultant play, then reverted to dumbfuckery by keeping Smith around. He doubled down with Bush.

He didn’t have a QB in 2014 and a true Frosh in 2015

Try again
    edited November 2019
    Tequilla said:

PurpleJ said:

Tequilla said:

godawgst said:

whlinder said:

Try again
    He didn’t have a qb in any of the years after that either. There was one difference in 2016. Guess what it was.

TequilaFS
  • DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 62,546 Founders Club
    edited November 2019
    godawgst said:

godawgst said:

whlinder said:

The vast majority of highly successful driven people are keenly aware of everything around them.

I can see a scenario where he thought the issues were at the qb position with Browning the last 4 years.

Pete will make the change at OC in the next month. The question becomes does he hire someone and give them full reign and total control of the offense, or we get another guy who will just run what Pete wants.
    Where did I say Pete wasn't aware there was a problem? Look at what I wrote. I said how do we know Pete is aware that HE is part of the problem.
  • DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 62,546 Founders Club
    Tequilla said:

godawgst said:

whlinder said:

I agree on the above but you missed the point.
  • EmotermanEmoterman Member Posts: 3,333

godawgst said:

whlinder said:

A man who willingly goes four years with Browning and does nothing to rectify it lacks self-awareness. Right now it's hazy whether he realizes that he is the problem and will have the humility to remove himself from the equation.
    It is stated as fact that the AD reads this board. The logic of "Pete is THE problem with the offense" is almost bulletproof and well reasoned and argued on here. If whoever is reading this board isn't at least running this concept up the flagpole as they scramble for answers that would be criminal.

Hopefully Pete's boss essentially takes the decision away from him; let go or get let go.
  • RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member Posts: 30,123

godawgst said:

whlinder said:

A man who willingly goes four years with Browning and does nothing to rectify it lacks self-awareness. Right now it's hazy whether he realizes that he is the problem and will have the humility to remove himself from the equation.
    He didn’t have anyone better. That’s still his fault, but you don’t make a change just to make a change. I think it would be pretty hard to think Browning was going to flame out like he did after his first two years in the program.

I think he’s aware he’s the problem. Whether he can completely remove himself from meddling is a fair question. Same for whether he can make the right hire.

godawgst said:

whlinder said:

He didn’t have anyone better. That’s still his fault, but you don’t make a change just to make a change. I think it would be pretty hard to think Browning was going to flame out like he did after his first two years in the program.

I think he’s aware he’s the problem. Whether he can completely remove himself from meddling is a fair question. Same for whether he can make the right hire.
    Agree with all that except with Browning he could have at least brought in a JC transfer to offer competition to Browning and offer a wake up call to his sense of entitlement.
  • MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member Posts: 37,781
    In 1988 I wanted don James fires. In 2019 I want Chris Petersen fired. The difference is in 1988 I thought firing the coach would lead to good things because Washington was serious about football. Now I think it will likely just result in more mediocrity and shit seasons, but I’ll enjoy a new face on the sidelines for awhile
  • MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member Posts: 37,781
    godawgst said:

godawgst said:

whlinder said:

Will he still boat to work and drink fancy coffee?
  • godawgstgodawgst Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,451 Founders Club
    The only program I can think of who fired their coach after 3 straight 10 year wins was Solich at Nebraska (who wasn't Tom Osbourne and that was his crime) and 20 years later they are still paying for that.

godawgst said:

whlinder said:

Agree with all that except with Browning he could have at least brought in a JC transfer to offer competition to Browning and offer a wake up call to his sense of entitlement.
    Maybe, but any Jc guy worth a shit isn’t going to a school with an established starter. So we probably would bring in a shitty QB worse than Browning and nothing would actually change.
  • UW_Doog_BotUW_Doog_Bot Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 15,453 Swaye's Wigwam
    Emoterman said:

godawgst said:

whlinder said:

It is stated as fact that the AD reads this board. The logic of "Pete is THE problem with the offense" is almost bulletproof and well reasoned and argued on here. If whoever is reading this board isn't at least running this concept up the flagpole as they scramble for answers that would be criminal.

Hopefully Pete's boss essentially takes the decision away from him; let go or get let go.
    Pretty much this, if Pete's either not self aware enough to fire Bush and let go of the offense or to stubborn to then fire his ass. That's it.
    With a weak AF OOC and all of the talent on this roster we are ranked 123rd in PPG. That's not "execution" Pete. That's your system.
    In conference we are averaging 25 ppg and if you remove the Arizona game it's only 21 ppg. That's in this dreck fucking conference.

In conference we are averaging 25 ppg and if you remove the Arizona game it's only 21 ppg. That's in this dreck fucking conference.

It’s terrible. Everyone hangs 35+ on Oregon State and Colorado except us.
  • TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,825
    PurpleJ said:

Tequilla said:

PurpleJ said:

Tequilla said:

godawgst said:

whlinder said:

Try again
    He didn’t have a qb in any of the years after that either. There was one difference in 2016. Guess what it was.

TequilaFS
    Idiotic take