Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Josh Conerly, 2022 5* OL, Seattle (Rainier Beach), WA (Offered)

Comments

• RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 100,693
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Kind of funny because when Junior hit Middle School at South Shore I wondered why in the fuck they didn't have a football team. Junior high was my glory days. We had to pay to play junior football.

Beach was all basketball then, Looks like it still is.
  • LebamDawgLebamDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 8,510
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam

Kind of funny because when Junior hit Middle School at South Shore I wondered why in the fuck they didn't have a football team. Junior high was my glory days. We had to pay to play junior football.

and track. I am one of the normal guys that graduated from RB. Track and Bassetball. My nephew played BB at Mt Vernon when they beat RB at BB for state.
  • RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 100,693
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    LebamDawg said:

and track. I am one of the normal guys that graduated from RB. Track and Bassetball. My nephew played BB at Mt Vernon when they beat RB at BB for state.
    My son played on that RB team and I was at that game
  • TommySQCTommySQC Member Posts: 5,813
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    LebamDawg said:

Mark Hendrickson days?
  • KrunkJuiceKrunkJuice Member Posts: 2,046
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment
    LebamDawg said:

That Mt.. Vernon team imo is the greatest HS team to ever come out of Washington. Watch that game on FSN if I recall.
  • WoolleyDoogWoolleyDoog Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,391
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited April 2021

LebamDawg said:

That Mt.. Vernon team imo is the greatest HS team to ever come out of Washington. Watch that game on FSN if I recall.
    Woolley high grad and that Mt. Vernon team was in my league when I was fr. in high school. Incredible to watch. If I remember correctly they didn’t lose a single game, only one team got within single digits all seasons and it was a 9 point win and they blew out the 4A champ too. I think they lost the state title in OT the year before too. Coolest part was them being from a place like Skagit County too and they were I like the Globetrotter packing every gym everywhere they played to win by 30. Was bummed their two best players didn’t pan out at Gonzaga. Would have been fun.

LebamDawg said:

Woolley high grad and that Mt. Vernon team was in my league when I was fr. in high school. Incredible to watch. If I remember correctly they didn’t lose a single game, only one team got within single digits all seasons and it was a 9 point win and they blew out the 4A champ too. I think they lost the state title in OT the year before too. Coolest part was them being from a place like Skagit County too and they were I like the Globetrotter packing every gym everywhere they played to win by 30. Was bummed their two best players didn’t pan out at Gonzaga. Would have been fun.
    Yeah. They lost to Seattle Prep that had Erik Bond and Jeffrey Day. That game was at Key Arena. They beat them the next year. I think they went 27-0. The team was players from that area which was cool. I live next to Nathan Hale and everybody says the Michael Porter team that also went undefeated is the best team ever. That team was probably ~75% transfers. It was AAU with Brandon Roy coaching. Fun to watch but I like Mt. Vernon if they played.
  • theknowledgetheknowledge Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 4,555
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam

96 Sehome was better.

I saw them play in a district game at MP high school. They were amazing. Mark Spink who played on that first plucky Gonzaga team in '98 was their only D1 guy while three other starters all went on to all play at Western. They played like five fingers on a fist. They all had a role that each of them had played since youth basketball. That said, I also remember watching Mark Hendrickson play a legion baseball game at Evans field in Arlington. In warmups he threw a laser beam from the warning track to the cutoff man who was camped at the infield grass. The ball flew no higher than his chest. Hendrickson was must see entertainment and arguably the best athlete to ever come out of the state of Washington.
  • chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,586
    Swaye's Wigwam

LebamDawg said:

Yeah. They lost to Seattle Prep that had Erik Bond and Jeffrey Day. That game was at Key Arena. They beat them the next year. I think they went 27-0. The team was players from that area which was cool. I live next to Nathan Hale and everybody says the Michael Porter team that also went undefeated is the best team ever. That team was probably ~75% transfers. It was AAU with Brandon Roy coaching. Fun to watch but I like Mt. Vernon if they played.
    Mt Vernon hoops is interesting to me because our HS coach moved there and took that job after my freshman year. He was a legend that always had our program at the top of the Trico and usually ranked in state. We finished one season ranked #1, I think in my 7th or 8th grade year, but got knocked out in state by a buzzer beater from one of out league ruvals (Woodland).

Anyways, Fraser, the coach, went on to dominate for a while at Mt Vernon. I'm pretty sure he coached Hendrickson there but I don't know how long he stayed.
  • TommySQCTommySQC Member Posts: 5,813
    chuck said:

LebamDawg said:

Mt Vernon hoops is interesting to me because our HS coach moved there and took that job after my freshman year. He was a legend that always had our program at the top of the Trico and usually ranked in state. We finished one season ranked #1, I think in my 7th or 8th grade year, but got knocked out in state by a buzzer beater from one of out league ruvals (Woodland).

Anyways, Fraser, the coach, went on to dominate for a while at Mt Vernon. I'm pretty sure he coached Hendrickson there but I don't know how long he stayed.
    What HS?
  • chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,586
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited April 2021
    TommySQC said:

chuck said:

LebamDawg said:

What HS?
    Stevenson.

He left with the following year's state player of the year on the team but a weak supporting cast. Morningstar still carried them to state and tied the 1A tourname t scoring record for one game in a blowout loss to Ephrata.
  • RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Some of the O’Dea teams were really fucking good and Phil Lumpkin was the best coach in the state for a long time.

LebamDawg said:

Porter would hang 40-50 on any team in the history of Washington high school basketball if he wanted. It sounds nice to think Mt. Vernon or Sehome had the better team, but they didn’t.

The Porter bros, PJ Fuller, and whoever else Nathan Hale had would absolutely roll those teams.
    I am fairly confident Mt. Vernon wins by 10+. I went to half dozen of those Hale games and they didn't play much defense and on multiple occasions were stuck by 6-8 pts in the first half against inferior teams. Mt. Vernon had 3-4 D1 kids and played ultimate team basketball. I am not so sure Hale beats the '02 Rainier Beach squad that had a Sr Nate Robinson and the Stewart twins.
  • Fishpo31Fishpo31 Member Posts: 2,235
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    "My" HS team (I quit after sophomore year, because I never would have seen the court) was once considered "the best"...After a season-opening loss to Gonzaga Prep with 3 starters out with the flu (Stockton went for 30, IIR), they won 26 in a row. 4 D1 hoopers, point guard played DB at Montana, the other starter (a soph) started for 3 years on the offensive line for your (our?!?!) Washington Huskies, 2 D1 baseball guys off the bench...the twelfth man played point guard at Eastern Oregon. I don't know how they would do against some of these teams, but they kicked Foss' ass (with a 7 footer) and Garfield's ass in the semi's. They beat Shadle Park (who was loaded) 89-81 in the regional final, the best hs game I have ever witnessed. Down memory lane, csb
  • QuietcowskeeQuietcowskee Member Posts: 3,059
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    edited April 2021
    Speaking of Mt. Vernon, Jim “Jesús” Caviezel is fully on board with the adrenochrome drinkin’ story.