Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Vorel Bringing the Heat

Comments

• Options
    animateanimate Member Posts: 4,231
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Makes the jood look like a Cosmopolitan writer ...
  • Options
    RoadTripRoadTrip Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,244
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club

Matt Calkins continuing to bring the heat with Vorel from the Times:

“With Petersen at the helm, the Huskies have lost their past 10 games in which they were behind at the half, and 15 of their past 16. They also have blown four first-half leads in that span, and lost to Oregon last season when the game was tied at the break.”

“These numbers should not detract from Petersen’s Huskies reaching a New Year’s Six game in each of their past three seasons while winning two of the past three Pac-12 title games. And they don’t reflect UW’s ability to hold or expand leads over that stretch, which has been impressive.”

“But those post-half stats do call into question Petersen’s ability to adapt when facing adversity. And right now — the Huskies desperately need to adapt.”

“With defeats against unranked California and Stanford in 2019, though, the Huskies (4-2, 1-2 Pac-12) are wounded with the meat of their schedule still in front of them. And if ever there was a time for the Pac-12’s highest-paid coach to earn his money — it’s now.”

“In Pac-12 games not involving Washington, Cal and Stanford are a combined 1-4 this season. But both were able to batter the Huskies up front while taking advantage of a substandard passing game.”

“Aside from the lightning-induced delay during the Cal game, there was nothing particularly fluky about either of these defeats. The Huskies just got beat — in remarkably similar fashion.”

Calkins then brings up the young receivers not playing because they aren’t practicing as well as Petersen would like:

“Think of someone such as former USC quarterback Sam Darnold, who transformed the Trojans as a redshirt freshman when he got a shot in Week 4. Or Jaguars quarterback Gardner Minshew, who went from second-stringer to NFL offensive rookie of the year candidate after his predecessor went down with an injury.”

“These young receivers are practicing against a defense that knows the playbook. Is it crazy to think they might shine brighter in the play than the dress rehearsal?”

So can Pete figure it out?:

“Last year, after a stunning late-October loss to Cal, the Huskies won four in a row en route to capturing the Pac-12 title. This season, a shot at a conference title seems far more dubious.”

“What’s clear is that this year’s Huskies need to change for the better. The question is whether Petersen can make that happen.”
    That's not happening this year. Peterman has no defense to bail his scrawny ass out.

“These young receivers are practicing against a defense that knows the playbook. Is it crazy to think they might shine brighter in the play than the dress rehearsal?”

Well fuck, the entire Pac12 knows his dumbfucked play book. Stanford had saddles on our WRs all night.
  • Options
    BennyBeaverBennyBeaver Member Posts: 13,333
    FirePete said:

I am going to subscribe just to support a writer like that.

Liar
  • Options
    NoWarningJustDawgNoWarningJustDawg Member Posts: 1,000
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Standard Supporter

Mike Vorel fucking gets it:

OK, story time. In 2016, I covered Notre Dame, a program with College Football Playoff aspirations (like Washington) that was led by an established, veteran head coach (like Washington). Brian Kelly announced prior to the season that two quarterbacks would play in the season-opener (like Washington).

Long season short, the Irish went 4-8. They had two quarterbacks in DeShone Kizer and Malik Zaire, but few established leaders. Their defensive coordinator, Brian VanGorder, was fired in September. The fans suffered through an unexpectedly abysmal season in South Bend — and along the way, many demanded Kelly be fired as well. They paid for full-page ads in the local newspapers, loudly lobbying for new leadership.

And guess what happened next? The Irish went 26-5 in the ensuing two-plus seasons. Kelly hired new coordinators and adjusted his own role within the program. He forced himself to adapt — to evolve, or else. Notre Dame appeared in the College Football Playoff last winter and is currently ranked as the No. 9 team in the country.

Of course, these situations are hardly identical. But if Petersen is willing to honestly evaluate the strengths and weaknesses in his program and make the necessary adjustments, there’s no reason Washington shouldn’t continue to contend for Pac-12 titles. The talent is already on the roster, and the Huskies continue to recruit at an elite national level.

Oh, and one more thing: the sky in Seattle is a long way from falling. Rest assured, these Huskies are not about to finish 4-8.
    I dunno...
    "Rest assured, these Huskies are not about to finish 4-8"
    Without the epic failure that is ND ever going 4-8, would Kelly have felt pressured to change? Doubtful.
    Thus, I'm not really resting assured at all by that last part. Pete's going to have an OK 2019 season; will that be enough to make him feel the pressure or will he just double down on the same shit thinking "we're close/it's a process/it takes a minute"...?
  • Options
    FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes

FirePete said:

Liar
    You sound poor
  • Options
    BennyBeaverBennyBeaver Member Posts: 13,333
    FirePete said:

FirePete said:

Liar
    You sound poor
    I subscribe already you dickjam.
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam

The only way UW beats Oregon is because its college football and their kids can go retard like ours do and our kids can bring it on occasion

And after Arizona runs us it sets that scenario up

As long as our defense doesn’t shit itself, we can hang with Oregon. Their offense isn’t very good.

We will have trouble scoring more than 21 against them. We will need a good game on defense to have a chance.
  • Options
    TurdBomberTurdBomber Member Posts: 19,752
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment

The only way UW beats Oregon is because its college football and their kids can go retard like ours do and our kids can bring it on occasion

And after Arizona runs us it sets that scenario up

As long as our defense doesn’t shit itself, we can hang with Oregon. Their offense isn’t very good.

We will have trouble scoring more than 21 against them. We will need a good game on defense to have a chance.

• Options
    dirtysouwfdawgdirtysouwfdawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 11,942
    5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes First Anniversary
    Swaye's Wigwam

“Here’s the thing,” UW’s sixth-year head coach said on Monday. “Guys, they put it on tape in practice, and people don’t understand … you’ve got to do it in practice; you can’t do it half the time or three-quarters of the time.

“Now, maybe do we need to rotate some more guys in there? Actually we’ve been trying to do that with certain personnel groups. But (those personnel groups) haven’t been getting called maybe as much as we thought they were. So we’ll take a better look at that and maybe rotate a few more guys in there.”

“They need to, one, be more detailed to what we’re doing out there,” Petersen said. “They’re making progress. They really are. They are practicing and they are getting a lot of reps out there. They just aren’t where the other guys are right now. But they are growing and they’re getting better all the time.

“You (reporters) don’t cover practice. You don’t see what’s going on out there. That’s no knock on those guys. They’re getting better. They’re young players. That’s what it is.”

“There’s no timetable. It’s when a guy picks it up,” Petersen said. “We’ve played freshmen out there: Dante Pettis, John Ross played as a true (freshman), all those types of things. As long as they can pick it up, they can play.

“When a guy is playing, you’d love to get him more involved. Puka (Nacua’s) playing and we’d like to get him more involved just being out there on the field. We do pay attention to that. But that’s not the issue. That wasn’t the issue on Saturday. The guys that we were going to, we need to be more detailed there. Those guys are our most detailed guys right now.”

“Obviously we’re looking to give those guys an opportunity,” offensive coordinator Bush Hamdan said of the young receivers. “We need some guys to step up and make plays on the outside. The evaluation process is not just a one-week thing during the year. This is going back to spring ball through fall camp through the season.

“As you guys know, the best players will play. This is big-time ball. So whoever those guys end up being, they’ll be playing on Saturday.”

“We want to go up and snatch the football,” Adams said of his players’ mentality this week. “We want to study the crosshairs. We want to get off the ground. We want to rotate our shoulders. We want to make a triangle with our hands and we want to snatch the football.

“We emphasize being a frisbee-snatching dog. When the ball’s in the air, it’s ours. That’s what we preach. We say that every day.”

“I think some of the young guys are progressing as the season has gone on,” Adams said. “I think Spiker’s progressing. I think Terrell Bynum, his snap count has gone up. Puka’s snap count has gone up. We’re just going to keep getting better each week, and these guys’ roles are going to keep increasing with the way they practice.”

He mentions playing Pettis and Ross as freshman, showing he’s not against playing freshman. What it says is he truly believes that the young kids on this roster haven’t picked up the playbook, not that they aren’t talented enough.

Which again proves your fucking offense sucks and you need to change your system so freshman can pick it up. WR is supposed to be the position young kids can play right away at.

Fuck you peterman you contradicting pompous cunt
  • Options
    BayDawgBayDawg Member Posts: 1,623
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Name Dropper

FirePete said:

FirePete said:

Liar
    You sound poor
    What the fuck is a dickjam?
    Seriously, is this a thing?
  • Options
    EmotermanEmoterman Member Posts: 3,333
    BayDawg said:

FirePete said:

FirePete said:

Liar
    You sound poor
    https://www.totalpenishealth.com/article/every-guys-nightmare-can-sprain-penis
  • Options
    BayDawgBayDawg Member Posts: 1,623
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Name Dropper
    Emoterman said:

BayDawg said:

FirePete said:

FirePete said:

Liar
    You sound poor
    https://www.totalpenishealth.com/article/every-guys-nightmare-can-sprain-penis
    Well played, good sir.
  • Options
    LesGrossmanLesGrossman Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,474
    Founders Club
    God damn — love the direction Vorel is taking it. He’s dialed in, and I don’t care if he’s getting any of it from here or not, but I’d guess he is to some extent.
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Don’t know why Pete brings up Ross. Ross played for Sark his freshman year.