Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Vorel Bringing the Heat

Comments

• Options
    animateanimate Member Posts: 4,231
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes

You play stars all the time. While I know Fuller is our best WR, he’s not a star. Baccellia is a mediocre at best WR and it’s baffling he has a stranglehold on one of the WR spots. Nobody outside of Fuller and Baccellia has even got a chance to show if they can do anything.

Get the younger guys some reps in games. We rotate a lot on defense, why not on offense? The might even become more “detailed” and practice better if they felt involved.

I don’t know, it all seems strange. At this point it feels like Pete is doubling down. You know he hates being questioned by dumbass fans and the media, but it comes with the territory.

Another part of me feels like the back up WR’s aren’t any good and that’s why they don’t play. We make fun of Pete and how much he loves practice, but they really do see these players every day. I have a hard time believing a good player would be kept off the field.

Pete deserves to be questioned. He’s talked a lot about improving the offense, but it hasn’t improved. The WR’s have not played well for the third year in a row.

This all reminds me of last year when we were clamoring for Haener all season long. Pete finally put him in when the stakes mattered. We all know what happened next.

What's worrisome is that Pete's personnel choices have rarely been wrong in the past. It might be entirely possible that everyone behind Fuller and Opera really are that bad. In which case we have a much bigger issue with the offense and WR development. With as much young talent as we have, and as relatively easy as it is for young WRs to get on the field early in their careers in the college game, there's no excuse for not a single one of these guys emerging as a play maker.
    We’ll really know next year when the incoming freshman WR’s are enrolled. My guess is the guys we are clamoring to get in (Osborne and Spiker) get passed up and all of this starts to make a little more sense.

Side note, after seeing how soft our WR’s are, I’m getting more excited for Raccanelli. Underrated recruit. I doubt he will be soft and will add something we need.
    Until Peterman's system neuters him?
  • Options
    DoogWhispererDoogWhisperer Member Posts: 1,017
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment
    FirePete said:

FirePete said:

I love this guy. He’s a pipe hitting nega dawg.

@DerekJohnson you should personally reach out and send a fella an official invite
    I'm sure Vorel would want to keep reading HCH in stealth mode. Can't see him poasting here. Wouldn't be good for his brand.
    It would be stupid for him to do so. But there's no doubt he's on here daily. We're a true barometer for him.
    @mikevorel next topic the issue of the ILB play. Horrible
    Manu's mustache, though...
  • Options
    YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,961
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam

You play stars all the time. While I know Fuller is our best WR, he’s not a star. Baccellia is a mediocre at best WR and it’s baffling he has a stranglehold on one of the WR spots. Nobody outside of Fuller and Baccellia has even got a chance to show if they can do anything.

Get the younger guys some reps in games. We rotate a lot on defense, why not on offense? The might even become more “detailed” and practice better if they felt involved.

I don’t know, it all seems strange. At this point it feels like Pete is doubling down. You know he hates being questioned by dumbass fans and the media, but it comes with the territory.

Another part of me feels like the back up WR’s aren’t any good and that’s why they don’t play. We make fun of Pete and how much he loves practice, but they really do see these players every day. I have a hard time believing a good player would be kept off the field.

Pete deserves to be questioned. He’s talked a lot about improving the offense, but it hasn’t improved. The WR’s have not played well for the third year in a row.

This all reminds me of last year when we were clamoring for Haener all season long. Pete finally put him in when the stakes mattered. We all know what happened next.

What's worrisome is that Pete's personnel choices have rarely been wrong in the past. It might be entirely possible that everyone behind Fuller and Opera really are that bad. In which case we have a much bigger issue with the offense and WR development. With as much young talent as we have, and as relatively easy as it is for young WRs to get on the field early in their careers in the college game, there's no excuse for not a single one of these guys emerging as a play maker.
    We’ll really know next year when the incoming freshman WR’s are enrolled. My guess is the guys we are clamoring to get in (Osborne and Spiker) get passed up and all of this starts to make a little more sense.

Side note, after seeing how soft our WR’s are, I’m getting more excited for Raccanelli. Underrated recruit. I doubt he will be soft and will add something we need.
    @RoadDawg55 has been a voice of reason this week. Pete's probably earned a turd of a season, where things just don't gel the way you'd want. But still....fix this shit or tick, tick, tick...
  • Options
    FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes

@RoadDawg55 has been a voice of reason this week. Pete's probably earned a turd of a season, where things just don't gel the way you'd want. But still....fix this shit or tick, tick, tick...
    If we going to piss the season away, which I am ok with. Let’s invest in the future and let the young kids play and build skill. But to roll out with Manu, beef Wellington, clutchskins, opera singer. Why invest in those scrubs, this is their last year of playing football, let’s accelerate that end
  • Options

We are a recruiting school

Don’t say it race. Please don’t
  • Options
    PostGameOrangeSlicesPostGameOrangeSlices Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 24,581
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club

We are a recruiting school

*TBS
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    Swaye's Wigwam
    FirePete said:

If we going to piss the season away, which I am ok with. Let’s invest in the future and let the young kids play and build skill. But to roll out with Manu, beef Wellington, clutchskins, opera singer. Why invest in those scrubs, this is their last year of playing football, let’s accelerate that end
    We still aren’t there. A loss to Arizona this week and I agree that it’s time to punt the season and develop the younger guys we have.
  • Options

FirePete said:

We still aren’t there. A loss to Arizona this week and I agree that it’s time to punt the season and develop the younger guys we have.
    I don’t know roadie, I don’t see us beating Oregon. The DL play is good, but not at point where they can make up for deficiencies at LB. they are horrible. Honestly the drop off from beef Wellington and Manu to sirmon and tafisi is not that high, almost equally shitty
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    Swaye's Wigwam

Matt Calkins continuing to bring the heat with Vorel from the Times:

“With Petersen at the helm, the Huskies have lost their past 10 games in which they were behind at the half, and 15 of their past 16. They also have blown four first-half leads in that span, and lost to Oregon last season when the game was tied at the break.”

“These numbers should not detract from Petersen’s Huskies reaching a New Year’s Six game in each of their past three seasons while winning two of the past three Pac-12 title games. And they don’t reflect UW’s ability to hold or expand leads over that stretch, which has been impressive.”

“But those post-half stats do call into question Petersen’s ability to adapt when facing adversity. And right now — the Huskies desperately need to adapt.”

“With defeats against unranked California and Stanford in 2019, though, the Huskies (4-2, 1-2 Pac-12) are wounded with the meat of their schedule still in front of them. And if ever there was a time for the Pac-12’s highest-paid coach to earn his money — it’s now.”

“In Pac-12 games not involving Washington, Cal and Stanford are a combined 1-4 this season. But both were able to batter the Huskies up front while taking advantage of a substandard passing game.”

“Aside from the lightning-induced delay during the Cal game, there was nothing particularly fluky about either of these defeats. The Huskies just got beat — in remarkably similar fashion.”

Calkins then brings up the young receivers not playing because they aren’t practicing as well as Petersen would like:

“Think of someone such as former USC quarterback Sam Darnold, who transformed the Trojans as a redshirt freshman when he got a shot in Week 4. Or Jaguars quarterback Gardner Minshew, who went from second-stringer to NFL offensive rookie of the year candidate after his predecessor went down with an injury.”

“These young receivers are practicing against a defense that knows the playbook. Is it crazy to think they might shine brighter in the play than the dress rehearsal?”

So can Pete figure it out?:

“Last year, after a stunning late-October loss to Cal, the Huskies won four in a row en route to capturing the Pac-12 title. This season, a shot at a conference title seems far more dubious.”

“What’s clear is that this year’s Huskies need to change for the better. The question is whether Petersen can make that happen.”
    The point Calkins makes about our WR’s practicing against our DB’s is a good one. The defense knows what’s coming. It makes it hard.

I remember that being the case playing high school basketball. At practice, everyone had a hard time scoring because we all knew the plays being ran. We weren’t going to fool anyone. In the games, that wasn’t the case and those same plays got us open shot after open shot.
  • Options
    DooglesDoogles Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 12,475
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam

We should be able to accept that Osborne and Spiker aren’t trusted to get in the game. Liking their hudl’s does not mean they are good players. These are highlight videos with only their best plays shown.

Puka gets in. I wish he was more involved, but obviously they want to get him some playing time. I think that’s actually a goal of the coaches and I believe them. I would assume the coaches like him better than Osborne and Spiker. Ty Jones played a lot last year as a second year player.

We don’t have an aversion to playing young guys. The frustrating part is that there are no standards and the starters continue to play despite poor production and in Fuller’s case, way too many drops.

I don't mind Fuller being in because he catches more than he drops, but there is absolutely no reason Baccelia should see another snap in Pac 12 play. Seems like such an easy fix to give someone else a look.

Chico at least has been an explosive player in the past, if we’re going to have one midget on the field it should be him. Baccelia has a career tape of being ineffective in pretty much every way.
  • Options
    Osborne is bigger so might have bigger catch radius. That might be helpful, compared to midgets with T-Rex arms
  • Options
    PostGameOrangeSlicesPostGameOrangeSlices Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 24,581
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    Some good context honestly
  • Options
    Wow mike is bringing straight fire. I am going to subscribe just to support a writer like that.