Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

this team would be better with Pete in an advisory role

Comments

• animateanimate Member Posts: 4,236
    Yeah, I can see that.

Let Peterman figurehead the program. Okg and shit. Instill manliness and all that.

Let the coaching staff coach and run a gameplan with adjustments.
  • GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,485 Standard Supporter

The problem might be that Pete is in too much of an advisory role.

Nope. The offense has sucked since 2011. He rund it, common denominator is Pete. They run the same soft bubble screen bullshit no matter who the OC is.

As @RoadDawg55 said, Pete is enamored with the x and o aspect and refuses to just fucking man handle the enemy
    Petersen's offense since 2011? 2011 was peak Kellen Moore. 2012 was solid, with OC Robert Prince. 2013 is when it went shaky when Prince installed a fakakta hurry up pistol scheme. Boise State fans lost their shit because they felt Petersemens ceded too much control to Prince.

Without being inside, my thought has about as much standing as anyone else's.
  • bigccbigcc Member Posts: 895
    Tedford with even one year of full oc duty and personnel decisions would make this a NC caliber offense with Eason (emphasis on offense unless he helps our linebackers)

Instead he's going to make haener look like a superstar next year.... If Petersen wants to stop taking so much heat, he needs to hire a superstar OC, hand him the reigns, and just coach the way the team functions
  • whuggywhuggy Member Posts: 2,088
    Most agree that Petersen needs to let go of the offense and hire an OC with autonomy. Pretty much no argument.
    The real question is will Pete's ego allow that to happen? He has proven he can't get to the next level with his offense.
    If he hires a new OC and Washington becomes elite then it's the new guy who gets credit for getting them there. I'm a bit skeptical that Pete's personality would handle that well. Would be thrilled to be wrong.
    whuggy said:

Most agree that Petersen needs to let go of the offense and hire an OC with autonomy. Pretty much no argument.
    The real question is will Pete's ego allow that to happen? He has proven he can't get to the next level with his offense.
    If he hires a new OC and Washington becomes elite then it's the new guy who gets credit for getting them there. I'm a bit skeptical that Pete's personality would handle that well. Would be thrilled to be wrong.

Consider an alternative hypothesis that's he's let the offense go too much, overly trusting in unqualified OCs from his own tree. Ego working in another direction.

I don't know if that's the right way to look at it. But I'm beginning to think it might be at least a factor.
  • NoWarningJustDawgNoWarningJustDawg Member Posts: 1,000

whuggy said:

Consider an alternative hypothesis that's he's let the offense go too much, overly trusting in unqualified OCs from his own tree. Ego working in another direction.

I don't know if that's the right way to look at it. But I'm beginning to think it might be at least a factor.
    Interesting. I suppose the brief period of extremely successful offense for part of '16 with Tedford consulting could support this.

And, I suppose unfortunate, as it basically gives no hope for THIS season.
  • MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member Posts: 37,781

Just bend over and take it. Petersen isn’t going anywhere. If you think the uw is going to fire a guy who has been to 3 NY6 bowls in the last three years and won the pac 12 2 of the last 3 years you don’t know UW. Remember, this is the place that destroyed Don James and let a coach spiral to 0-12. Petersen is at uw as long as he wants to be. Simple fact. Most big money donors and fans are delighted with him.

No one is saying he is going anywhere. Im using hyperbole to point out how fucking stupid it is that Petersen wont build an identity on offense other than being soft. Hope this helps
    OK. It’s stupid. Now what?
    edited October 2019
    TTJ said:

What Pete really needs is Don James's old tower.

Coach the coaches. Don't micromanage. Be the CEO. Give your OC the autonomy to simplify the offense. Give the position coaches the autonomy to manage the week-to-week depth chart and rotation. Then evaluate those assistants objectively, based on their results.

Don James isn’t going to be there. The cancer won. But maybe the tower is available. Paging @DonJamesTowerDawg.
  • RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 104,350 Founders Club

TTJ said:

What Pete really needs is Don James's old tower.

Coach the coaches. Don't micromanage. Be the CEO. Give your OC the autonomy to simplify the offense. Give the position coaches the autonomy to manage the week-to-week depth chart and rotation. Then evaluate those assistants objectively, based on their results.

Don James isn’t going to be there. The cancer won.
    GOOOOOOOOOOO
  • PostGameOrangeSlicesPostGameOrangeSlices Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 25,292 Swaye's Wigwam

Just bend over and take it. Petersen isn’t going anywhere. If you think the uw is going to fire a guy who has been to 3 NY6 bowls in the last three years and won the pac 12 2 of the last 3 years you don’t know UW. Remember, this is the place that destroyed Don James and let a coach spiral to 0-12. Petersen is at uw as long as he wants to be. Simple fact. Most big money donors and fans are delighted with him.

No one is saying he is going anywhere. Im using hyperbole to point out how fucking stupid it is that Petersen wont build an identity on offense other than being soft. Hope this helps
    We drink!

We drink!
    Hell YEAH! Win or lose we boooze!!!!!!
  • halfbrainmanmolderhalfbrainmanmolder Member Posts: 212

This. I am totally fine with him being the head coach (do we? honestly have any choice?) but he should spend all his time with his family on Saturday and everyone will be better off.

This. I am totally fine with him being the head coach (do we? honestly have any choice?) but he should spend all his time with his family on Saturday and everyone will be better off.
    Kinda opposite of what I was getting at, but carry on.

whuggy said:

I'm gonna guess that since we see the godawful WR screen game under both Smith and Hamdan that Pete pretty much still has his mitts all over this offense.
  • PostGameOrangeSlicesPostGameOrangeSlices Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 25,292 Swaye's Wigwam
    whuggy said:

whuggy said:

I'm gonna guess that since we see the godawful WR screen game under both Smith and Hamdan that Pete pretty much still has his mitts all over this offense.
    This. The offense sucked in 13, 14, 15, 17, 18, 19

It didnt suck with a fucking loaded roster in 16...except it did against talented players. Then it really fucking sucked.

Does that work for you @GrundleStiltzkin ? Who gives a fuck about 2011 anyways that was a decade ago now

whuggy said:

whuggy said:

It didnt suck with a fucking loaded roster in 16...except it did against talented players. Then it really fucking sucked.

Does that work for you @GrundleStiltzkin ? Who gives a fuck about 2011 anyways that was a decade ago now
    You brought up 2011.

Whether too much or too little Petersemens offensive involvement, the results are the same. The difference is in the remedy, and for that, I don't got buyout money.

whuggy said:

whuggy said:

You brought up 2011.

Whether too much or too little Petersemens offensive involvement, the results are the same. The difference is in the remedy, and for that, I don't got buyout money.
    He doesn't need buying out. He needs butting out.
    All you Sark lovers forget that his offense sucked against teams with a pulse too
    edited October 2019

All you Sark lovers forget that his offense sucked against teams with a pulse too

They would still score upper 20s Race. The defense would just get shredded for 40+ and the special teams were trash

Pete is lucky to break 15 against teams in his ugly inexcusable losses.. USC, Bama, Cal twice, ASU, Stanford. Bama he sort of gets a pass, the rest is just fucking embarassing.

This defense with Sarks offense is a WAY better team. It just fucking is.

They would still score upper 20s Race. The defense would just get shredded for 40+ and the special teams were trash

Pete is lucky to break 15 against teams in his ugly inexcusable losses.. USC, Bama, Cal twice, ASU, Stanford. Bama he sort of gets a pass, the rest is just fucking embarassing.

This defense with Sarks offense is a WAY better team. It just fucking is.
    Great garbage time offense as always

JFC