Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Scott Huff and our mighty O Line

PostGameOrangeSlicesPostGameOrangeSlices Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 25,479 Swaye's Wigwam
edited September 2019 in Hardcore Husky Board
Can not reliably get positive yards against USC, Bama, ASU, Penn St, Stanford, Auburn, Cal, Ohio State, Cal again, USC again

They still get beat routinely when they are upper classmen laden with studs like Adams, McGary, Harris, Hilbers, etc.

Strausser's lines were actually better seeming than Huffs despite being less talented.

What's the deal?

Comments

• PostGameOrangeSlicesPostGameOrangeSlices Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 25,479 Swaye's Wigwam
    FirePete said:

Can not reliably get positive yards against USC, Bama, ASU, Penn St, Stanford, Auburn, Cal, Ohio State, Cal again, USC again

They still get beat routinely when they are upper classmen laden with studs like Adams, McGary, Harris, Hilbers, etc.

Strausser's lines were actually better seeming than Huffs despite being less talented.

What's the deal?

Dude if you can’t see that other team is also talented. I can’t help you. They were fine
    Point is us not being able to run when it matters has been an ongoing problem.
  • DawgDaze71DawgDaze71 Member Posts: 708
    Eason took one hard hit. I'd say that's a win for the OL. That being said as much talent as this group has the next OL man child that take the field will have a higher ceiling and may be mammoth.
  • MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member Posts: 37,781

Our o line has not really been a problem this year. USC's d line is really good.

That is a GOOD USC D line
  • PurpleBazePurpleBaze Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 29,696 Founders Club

Thump said:

FirePete said:

What's the deal?

Dude if you can’t see that other team is also talented. I can’t help you. They were fine
    We ran for 193 yards today.

Sure I'd like more, but it isn't as if they stuffed our run all day.

And we won by 2 TDs.
    Yeah but take away Ahmed's run

Kidding

USC d line is legit. One of them was almost ours

I do think we're not as good against a physical D line as we would like
    FTG! @MarlonsBrother
  • FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823

Thump said:

FirePete said:

What's the deal?

We ran for 193 yards today.

Sure I'd like more, but it isn't as if they stuffed our run all day.

And we won by 2 TDs.
    Yeah but take away Ahmed's run

Kidding

USC d line is legit. One of them was almost ours

I do think we're not as good against a physical D line as we would like
    We are not going to steam roll those guys. The OL was ok for most part. Watty lack natural power which is hurting us sometimes
  • Fenderbender123Fenderbender123 Member Posts: 2,972
    I'm no football expert but our o line appeared to handle USC's d line pretty well. On some of the running plays it looked like there was a hole that our RBs did not commit to for whatever reason.
  • FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
    edited September 2019
    The OL play was better that in 2016. And I think this USC DL is more talented than 2016 USC D Line
  • GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,485 Standard Supporter

I'm no football expert but our o line appeared to handle USC's d line pretty well. On some of the running plays it looked like there was a hole that our RBs did not commit to for whatever reason.

On a third & short where SA got stuffed on zone right, but cut back hole to left. Whatever
  • SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,356 Founders Club

191.2 rushing yards per game in 2019 vs 176.3 in 2018, 183.2 in 2017, 198.1 in 2016

1.4 sacks allowed per game in 2019 vs 1.7 in 2018, 1.54 in 2017, 1.86 in 2016

(Edit: I get what you're saying about consistency, and take out Ahmed's huge run and it's different statistics. But the line has not been a problem except for Wattenburg. He's been struggling really hard. That said, I really just wanted a chance to use the new gif that was dropped the other day)

Probably my favorite gif I have given to you fuckers.
  • NeGgaPlEaSeNeGgaPlEaSe Member Posts: 5,729
    edited September 2019

What's the deal?

Well, everything has changed other than .... the shit show offense.
    Leach with the same players on offense would put up 40 points a game

I think this offense in this game is about 100 yards short passing. I don’t like they didn’t go over the top with Opera or Puka 2-3 times just to open things up. I also felt the quick passing game wasn’t there. Fuller slants are difficult to defend with Eason passing
  • WilburHooksHandsWilburHooksHands Member Posts: 6,793

• 2001400ex2001400ex Member Posts: 29,457

This is true. Both Ahmed and Newton have a hard time bouncing outside for 5 extra yards. A lot of Gaskin's big runs were when the hole wasn't there and he ran laterally and out ran the other team. Although Ahmed doesn't have much lateral speed or shiftiness to him. He'd still get more yards bouncing outside rather than just crashing the pile.
  • godawgstgodawgst Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,450 Founders Club
    I thought about this last night as well. I'd be interested in hearing how people would rank our starters 1-5, what level you put them at with following choices:

Great
    Very Good
    Good
    (won't use elite or average is everyone knows they are neither of them)

Finally, for the TBS'ers what do Curne/Ale, and the rest of the next wave have that might push us into the great/elite category?