Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Move Salvon to WR

Comments

• Options
    jhfstyle24jhfstyle24 Member Posts: 3,255
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment

Hes not a natural complete back. He's a lightning guy. Need the thunder.

How rare are "naturally complete backs?" I feel like it's rare you see backs who have elite burst, top-end speed, great feet, elite agility, great elusiveness, excellent patience, phenomenal vision, incredible power, absurd strength, elite balance, excellent wiggle, great ball control, strong blocking ability, elite route-running and pass-catching ability all in one. In fact, I'm pretty sure it's extremely rare. Name one back that 100% has all of those traits. There are zero. The elite of the elite are missing some.

Salvon has freak speed. One elite trait can be more than enough with the others reasonably developed. The issue is when a back has glaring holes.

Salvon is plenty good enough to be a top back at a good program. We just got used to Gaskin saving our offense for 4 years with his vision, patience, and agility. Not all backs are Gaskin.
    Yeah the way you wrote that list probably nobody ever.

That said, the criticism of Salvon was fair and reasonable. If he gets better at running inside and starts breaking tackles once in a while to go with being dangerous in space then you'll have a pretty complete back.
    That's pretty much my point. Essentially no RB ever is legitimately complete, even the best of the best. In college, one freak trait is generally enough to be a good back as long as you are good enough in other areas. Guys who are freaks and are well-rounded - Zeke and Saquon are recent examples - light college football the fuck up.

Salvon if he is running inside well and breaking tackles isn't that level, but he is complete enough to be a stud in college, which is what matters.
  • Options
    DoogWhispererDoogWhisperer Member Posts: 1,017
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment
    Emoterman said:

Here's the output for both Ahmed and Newton yesterday:

Ahmed: 5, 2, 5, 4, 5, 2, 89, 7, -3, 7, 2, 6, 0, 4, 6
    Newton: 2, 2, 1, 6, 1, 0, 2, 6, 0

I'm the biggest #FeedTheNewt fan around (I've got a $30 Chinesium jersey en route), but I know which of those two production levels I prefer. Ahmed had a 15 yarder that was called back for holding, too.

That being said, I'd love to see Terrorist's role be diversified into more pass catching, witness his straight line speed; he outran USC's secondary on an up the middle run, whereas Stephen Carr couldn't outrun ours.

Where did you get your jersey?
  • Options
    EmotermanEmoterman Member Posts: 3,333
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes

Emoterman said:

I'm the biggest #FeedTheNewt fan around (I've got a $30 Chinesium jersey en route), but I know which of those two production levels I prefer. Ahmed had a 15 yarder that was called back for holding, too.

That being said, I'd love to see Terrorist's role be diversified into more pass catching, witness his straight line speed; he outran USC's secondary on an up the middle run, whereas Stephen Carr couldn't outrun ours.

Where did you get your jersey?
    DHgate. I've already got a Kreutz and Gaskin from another seller on there, decent quality but corny attempt to do the shoulder stripes. No rain drops in the numbers. Got a LATU 56 and NEWTON 28 on the way. And if the AD(idas) is reading, I'd buy an official jersey if they were customizable. Are they customizable after the LAUNCH EVENT?
  • Options
    FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes
    Emoterman said:

that USC db was fast as hell he got to him
  • Options
    1to392831weretaken1to392831weretaken Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,313
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited September 2019
    "I need to see Salvon make ONE person miss in the hole and gain yards for once."
    Makes a safety miss in the hole en route to an 89 yard TD.

"I need to see Salvon be more physical."
    Trucks a motherfucker for five yards against Cal.

"I need to see Salvon have better vision/patience."
    I'd argue that his best run wasn't the long TD but rather the 1st quarter run from about the 7 where he patiently waited for a hole to open, saw it, and exploded through the 1 hole for a first down to the 2.

Ahmed is never going to be a power back because of the way he runs. He's big and strong enough, but he's very light on his feet. He kind of floats over the ground with a wide base. This allows him to be absolutely elite at shifting laterally without losing forward speed, but it costs him in fore/aft balance and drive. It's just the way he runs.

I also wish he could absorb more contact and not go down so easily, but I think that's just the way his body works, and he makes up for it in other ways. I totally agree that he's not complete, but I don't mind at all him leading the team in carries, as his presence on the field makes defensive coordinators absolutely shit their pants at the threat of the home run shot (like Saturday).

If this were OG Super Mario 2, Ahmed would be Luigi, Gaskin would be Mario, Dick Newt would be Toad. McGrew Princess Toadstool?... I don't know. Sounds like something we'd have to ask @Mike_Leech.
  • Options
    FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes
    edited September 2019

"I need to see Salvon make ONE person miss in the hole and gain yards for once."

I'd argue that his best run wasn't the long TD but rather the 1st quarter run from about the 7 where he patiently waited for a hole to open, saw it, and exploded through the 1 hole for a first down to the 2.

Ahmed is never going to be a power back because of the way he runs. He's big and strong enough, but he's very light on his feet. He kind of floats over the ground with a wide base. This allows him to be absolutely elite at shifting laterally without losing forward speed, but it costs him in fore/aft balance and drive. It's just the way he runs.

I also wish he could absorb more contact and not go down so easily, but I think that's just the way his body works, and he makes up for it in other ways. I totally agree that he's not complete, but I don't mind at all him leading the team in carries, as his presence on the field makes defensive coordinators absolutely shit their pants at the threat of the home run shot (like Saturday).

If this were OG Super Mario 2, Ahmed would be Luigi, Gaskin would be Mario, Dick Newt would be Toad. McGrew Princess Toadstool?... I don't know. Sounds like something we'd have to ask @Mike_Leech.

Salvon strikes me as player that will have better NFL career than college, because nfl OC will figure out a way to get him the ball in space
  • Options
    PostGameOrangeSlicesPostGameOrangeSlices Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 24,581
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    FirePete said:

Salvon strikes me as player that will have better NFL career than college, because nfl OC will figure out a way to get him the ball in space
    He also might die vs an NFL front 7 because he gets lit up by Pac 12 mediocre dudes
  • Options
    EwaDawgEwaDawg Member Posts: 3,992
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    edited September 2019
    Emoterman said:

If those number are accurate, then the anti terrorist crowd can eat dicks. And then, eat dicks. When they are done, they can eat some more dicks.

Even if you eliminate the long run, Dick's average gain is dwarfed by the terrorist.

However, its not an either/or situation.

Thunder/lightning. Inside/outside. First and ten/third and short. In your own territory/in the (opponents) red zone.

I know. Kind of incredible, yes?

(I actually wouldn't mind McGrew getting a few more touches but.......where and when?)

• Options
    creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,749
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic
    EwaDawg said:

Emoterman said:

If those number are accurate, then the anti terrorist crowd can eat dicks. And then, eat dicks. When they are done, they can eat some more dicks.

Even if you eliminate the long run, Dick's average gain is dwarfed by the terrorist.

However, its not an either/or situation.

Thunder/lightning. Inside/outside. First and ten/third and short. In your own territory/in the (opponents) red zone.

I know. Kind of incredible, yes?

(I actually wouldn't mind McGrew getting a few more touches but.......where and when?)

Looks like you missed the "yesterday" part. Great sample size as usual.

You are so bad at being clever.
  • Options
    Founders Club

dannarc said:

In defense of Newtons #'s compared to Ackmefs, Newt gets put in on alot of short yardage plays where the Defense has the box stacked and its 2 yards and a pile of dust type shit. Bottom line is, I feel better about are running attack

Stats are for losers because of this. He has a couple 1-2 yard TD’s and a bunch of 3rd and 4th and short conversions.
    The BYU game showed us he is the most complete back by far. That td reception was beautiful
  • Options
    Founders Club

FirePete said:

I guess my biggest issue is we are not doing enough to get Salvon in space. Id like to see a formation with Eason in shotgun, Salvon and Newton to either side, and 2 TEs in close.
    You want to take advantage of Salvons ability to make people miss in space by loading the box?
    We always motion guys. The TEs could shift. Run him off tackle, have our great OTs seal the edge. Have newt block on counters