Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Cooking Update

Comments

• animateanimate Member Posts: 4,236
    I must add that I save all my bacon grease/fat and pour it into a ramekin (little container) and keep it in fridge for stuff like cooking eggs or doing steak on my cast iron skillet ...

"Pork fat is good!" - Emeril
  • dfleadflea Member Posts: 7,228

animate said:

carbonara ... delicious shit.

any particular recipe you used?

Pretty much just made it up on the fly:

2 eggs and 4 extra egg yolks
    Freshly grated parmesan cheese, like a cup, probably more though. I add a ton of it at the end when I’m mixing everything.
    Freshly chopped garlic, as much as you can handle. I like a lot. Throw it in the pan at the last minute as the bacon finishes cooking. Don’t burn it.
    8 pieces of thick cut bacon, chopped into quarter inch pieces, don’t over cook. Don’t want super crispy bacon.
    Shit load of parsley finely chopped. This and the parmesan add a great herbal/earthy flavor profile.
    Red pepper flakes. More than you think you’ll need. The heat balances out the other flavor components. Goes great with the white wine too.
    White wine. Just use something cheap. I used a nice bottle, which is pretty wasteful for cooking. Adds great flavor though.
    Extra virgin olive oil to augment the bacon fat as needed (dump in all the bacon grease, don’t be a bitch). I only needed a touch.
    Salt and pepper to taste
    Linguine noodles

You could sub/add lemon juice with the white wine for acidity. I just didn’t have any on hand. You’re gonna want the white wine to drink with this meal anyways.

Holy shit.

I'm hoping to bonk a coho tomorrow and grill that fucker up for the game. I'm thinking your fud sounds a bit better than that. And I could get up later.

Hmm.
  • ThomasFremontThomasFremont Member Posts: 13,325
    Salmon is my favorite food. I like this pasta but it doesn’t compare to fresh seafood.
  • Pitchfork51Pitchfork51 Member Posts: 26,861
    dflea said:

animate said:

Freshly grated parmesan cheese, like a cup, probably more though. I add a ton of it at the end when I’m mixing everything.
    Freshly chopped garlic, as much as you can handle. I like a lot. Throw it in the pan at the last minute as the bacon finishes cooking. Don’t burn it.
    8 pieces of thick cut bacon, chopped into quarter inch pieces, don’t over cook. Don’t want super crispy bacon.
    Shit load of parsley finely chopped. This and the parmesan add a great herbal/earthy flavor profile.
    Red pepper flakes. More than you think you’ll need. The heat balances out the other flavor components. Goes great with the white wine too.
    White wine. Just use something cheap. I used a nice bottle, which is pretty wasteful for cooking. Adds great flavor though.
    Extra virgin olive oil to augment the bacon fat as needed (dump in all the bacon grease, don’t be a bitch). I only needed a touch.
    Salt and pepper to taste
    Linguine noodles

You could sub/add lemon juice with the white wine for acidity. I just didn’t have any on hand. You’re gonna want the white wine to drink with this meal anyways.

Holy shit.

I'm hoping to bonk a coho tomorrow and grill that fucker up for the game. I'm thinking your fud sounds a bit better than that. And I could get up later.

Hmm.
    Do u think about anything but fish

What about crab

And I mean real crab, md blues in old Bay steamed alive
  • GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,488 Standard Supporter

Salmon is my favorite food. I like this pasta but it doesn’t compare to fresh seafood.

I could survive happily for a good long while on salmon and red cherries.
  • chuckchuck Member, Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,945 Swaye's Wigwam

One summer my dad challenged my brother and I to fish and crab enough to provide dinner for the entire family all summer long. He bought a 50lbs bag of rice and we could use the spices for flavor. We’d dig up worms on the beach for bait, catch fish, use the guts for crab bait, and ate fresh fish and crab for an entire summer. Mostly cod and perch, but a few salmon here and there.

In retrospect I wonder if my parents were having money problems at the time, but it was fun. And delicious. Cleaning all the fish and cracking all the crab was a fucking hassle though.
    I could live on surf perch and crab with a few ocean fresh salmon or steelhead thrown in for variety.
  • ThomasFremontThomasFremont Member Posts: 13,325

One summer my dad challenged my brother and I to fish and crab enough to provide dinner for the entire family all summer long. He bought a 50lbs bag of rice and we could use the spices for flavor. We’d dig up worms on the beach for bait, catch fish, use the guts for crab bait, and ate fresh fish and crab for an entire summer. Mostly cod and perch, but a few salmon here and there.

In retrospect I wonder if my parents were having money problems at the time, but it was fun. And delicious. Cleaning all the fish and cracking all the crab was a fucking hassle though.
    Sounds like a tuff liberal logger family trying tomake ends meet

That is way too much fucking cod
    Agree. But I actually got sick of the rice first.

CSB

Your folks probably thought things were rough while you guys were thinking it was the time of your lives. Perspective.
  • Mad_SonMad_Son Member Posts: 10,170
    dflea said:

dflea said:

animate said:

Salt and pepper to taste
    Linguine noodles

Holy shit.

Hmm.

What about crab

Yes. But it's peak salmon time for the next several weeks, so you gotta make hay while the sun is shining. I'm also a huge crab fan. Dungeness crabs - way better than any blue crab, IMO. You can keep 5 Dungies per person per day during the season, so I usually eat 2 whole crabs when I get home, then vacuum pack the others for later use. If you freeze crab, it's still pretty good, but I use it for fritters and crab dip of it's been frozen - only fresh crab for dipping in butter.

I need about 4 or 5 fish to smoke, another couple to cut up and freeze, and then I'll keep one here and there to peel off for friends and other dumbasses that can't catch fish. Crab season is closed now - but razor clamming is coming up. That means combo salmon and razor clam trips for the next couple months.

Add in Husky football, and you can see why fall rules all other seasons around here, IMO. Sunny weather, but not too hot. Crisp fall mornings catching salmon and watching the Dawgs. Fuck yeah!

Didn't read most of this but Dungeness >> blue crab
    Mad_Son said:

dflea said:

dflea said:

animate said:

Salt and pepper to taste
    Linguine noodles

Holy shit.

Hmm.

What about crab

Yes. But it's peak salmon time for the next several weeks, so you gotta make hay while the sun is shining. I'm also a huge crab fan. Dungeness crabs - way better than any blue crab, IMO. You can keep 5 Dungies per person per day during the season, so I usually eat 2 whole crabs when I get home, then vacuum pack the others for later use. If you freeze crab, it's still pretty good, but I use it for fritters and crab dip of it's been frozen - only fresh crab for dipping in butter.

I need about 4 or 5 fish to smoke, another couple to cut up and freeze, and then I'll keep one here and there to peel off for friends and other dumbasses that can't catch fish. Crab season is closed now - but razor clamming is coming up. That means combo salmon and razor clam trips for the next couple months.

Add in Husky football, and you can see why fall rules all other seasons around here, IMO. Sunny weather, but not too hot. Crisp fall mornings catching salmon and watching the Dawgs. Fuck yeah!

That was really the only important part.
  • Mad_SonMad_Son Member Posts: 10,170
    dflea said:

Mad_Son said:

dflea said:

dflea said:

animate said:

Salt and pepper to taste
    Linguine noodles

Holy shit.

Hmm.

What about crab

That was really the only important part.
    Actually I just finished reading the rest of your post and jizzed. Fuck that is good stuff.