Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Softy questioned Pete 6 yrs ago

124»

Comments

• Options
    oregonblitzkriegoregonblitzkrieg Member Posts: 15,288
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment

I still think promoting Mark Helfrich in 2013 instead of hiring Pete (he wanted the job) was one of the biggest blunders in Oregon history. I'd be happy to take Pete off your hands.

Promoting Helfrich was the right move at the time. He plungered the defending champs in spectacular fashion and earned the ducks a second natty appearance in 4 years. Any coach that can get you to the championship game to gain a shot at the title is worth hiring. He just didn't have what it took to go the extra mile. For that, and for various other reasons that were obvious by that time, he should have been fired on the tarmac after the title game.
    A ham sandwich and a bag of cheetos could have coached that Mariota lead team to the Championship game. Florida State was an extremely flawed team, and the only quality team top to bottom Oregon played that year was Ohio State in the title game, and they got smoked with a +4 turnover margin. +4 turnover margin, and lost that game by 22.
    Try to work a little harder on your quook game. FSU didn't lose a single game that year. To insinuate that the defending champs were not a quality team is just stupid.
  • Options
    creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,752
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic

I still think promoting Mark Helfrich in 2013 instead of hiring Pete (he wanted the job) was one of the biggest blunders in Oregon history. I'd be happy to take Pete off your hands.

Promoting Helfrich was the right move at the time. He plungered the defending champs in spectacular fashion and earned the ducks a second natty appearance in 4 years. Any coach that can get you to the championship game to gain a shot at the title is worth hiring. He just didn't have what it took to go the extra mile. For that, and for various other reasons that were obvious by that time, he should have been fired on the tarmac after the title game.
    A ham sandwich and a bag of cheetos could have coached that Mariota lead team to the Championship game. Florida State was an extremely flawed team, and the only quality team top to bottom Oregon played that year was Ohio State in the title game, and they got smoked with a +4 turnover margin. +4 turnover margin, and lost that game by 22.
    Extremely flawed? The defending national champs with a lot of the pieces of that team back for round 2. 13-0 is 13-0. They didn't have Kelvin Benjamin or Devonta Freeman, but they still were who they were. Dalvin Cook is nobody's plan B.
  • Options
    jecornel said:

Let's hypothetically say Pete takes over the Alabama program tomorrow. Does he match Saban's success over the next six years?

No. Different culture altogether.
  • Options
    MikeSeaverMikeSeaver Member Posts: 4,405
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    edited September 2019
    Undefeated, defending champs with the previous years Heisman trophy winner. Extremely, extremely flawed team.

• Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    jecornel said:

Let's hypothetically say Pete takes over the Alabama program tomorrow. Does he match Saban's success over the next six years?

Odd hypothetical. Who does match Saban's success there? Dabo obviously. Smart maybe.

That's the list.

I don't think anyone's claiming Pete is in the running for greatest coach of all time.

Saban's the GOAT for a reason.
  • Options
    EwaDawgEwaDawg Member Posts: 4,008
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    dnc said:

jecornel said:

Odd hypothetical. Who does match Saban's success there? Dabo obviously. Smart maybe.

That's the list.

I don't think anyone's claiming Pete is in the running for greatest coach of all time.

Saban's the GOAT for a reason.

I'm thinking that that was little Jimmy's poont. At least, that is how I read it.

• Options
    digitsdigits Member Posts: 1,419
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes

Just a reminder that Saban said he didn't think he could win big at USC

Because of who we? are out here

Huh?
  • Options
    greenbloodgreenblood Member Posts: 14,293
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment Combo Breaker

Extremely flawed? The defending national champs with a lot of the pieces of that team back for round 2. 13-0 is 13-0. They didn't have Kelvin Benjamin or Devonta Freeman, but they still were who they were. Dalvin Cook is nobody's plan B.
    That wasn’t the same team from a year ago
  • Options

It mostly was.
  • Options
    oregonblitzkriegoregonblitzkrieg Member Posts: 15,288
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment

Give up. You aren't going anywhere with this, stop reverse quooking.
  • Options
    greenbloodgreenblood Member Posts: 14,293
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment Combo Breaker

Give up. You aren't going anywhere with this, stop reverse quooking.
    Look, a Rose Bowl win is a Rose Bowl win. But it was easy to see Oregon was the better team top to bottom. Oregon could have won that Rose Bowl with any coach outside of Sumlin or Taggart.
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    But it was easy to see Oregon was the better team top to bottom. Oregon could have won that Rose Bowl with any coach outside of Sumlin or Taggart.

That I agree with. It was never about Helfrich any more than it was about Uncle Fester at Miami. Sometimes you're just in the right place and right time. Oregon also had the benefit of having an all-timer at QB, not just physically but also in terms of leadership. It's rare you don't need a HC, but that was a team that didn't.

But FSU was still a legitimate opponent. They were still loaded and went 13-0 after winning in it all the year before. I follow those guys. Of course they missed Kelvin Benjamin, but it's hard to argue they win if he's still there. The core of that team was still together, and the season proved it out.