Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Softy questioned Pete 6 yrs ago

Comments

• Options
    jecorneljecornel Member Posts: 9,636
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment
    Standard Supporter

maybe it is time for Pete to go back to the Mountain West. He seems to be stuck in that mindset. Give Lake a shot at HC. At least he has shown that he'll play the young guys. Mistakes happen but the talent is there.

Why the fuck is Lake getting a pass here? His secondary was shit on Saturday and the defense was an abomination considering how bad Cal's offense is. Cam Williams has so far been the worst starter we've seen in the secondary since 2015.
    Excellent poont.
  • Options
    GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,481
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter

Lake gets a pass because of recruiting

The defense has suffered since he took over play calling

That's a one game take. Lake's defense and Gaskin were good enough to win a conference championship in 2018.

ATBS, the defense was not good enough Saturday.
  • Options
    Standard Supporter

That's a one game take. Lake's defense and Gaskin were good enough to win a conference championship in 2018.

ATBS, the defense was not good enough Saturday.
    More of a two plus season take

I noted it in 2017 after Stanford and was shouted down by the rabble

2017 Stanford was not a great defensive showing. They also got left on the field way too long for 2.5 quarters by a shittastic offensive effort.

As I said yesterday, I more concerned for the defense for this season than I am the offense. D rotates much more so we?ve seen the depth, or lack there of.
  • Options
    BeerThirtyBeerThirty Member Posts: 2,465
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment

maybe it is time for Pete to go back to the Mountain West. He seems to be stuck in that mindset. Give Lake a shot at HC. At least he has shown that he'll play the young guys. Mistakes happen but the talent is there.

Why the fuck is Lake getting a pass here? His secondary was shit on Saturday and the defense was an abomination considering how bad Cal's offense is. Cam Williams has so far been the worst starter we've seen in the secondary since 2015.
    not giving him a pass, but he is doing what Pete isn't. He is putting the talent on the field. They made mistakes but they are young and they'll get it. If they don't, he has shown that he will put others out there. Pete doesn't do that
  • Options
    BeerThirtyBeerThirty Member Posts: 2,465
    this Hawaii game will be VERY important for the DBs. They need to really turn it around. We'll see
  • Options
    greenbloodgreenblood Member Posts: 14,285
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited September 2019
    I still think promoting Mark Helfrich in 2013 instead of hiring Pete (he wanted the job) was one of the biggest blunders in Oregon history. I'd be happy to take Pete off your hands.

Pete can coach. Let's not forget the Boise St fiesta bowl against Oklahoma, arguably one of the greatest college football games of all time.
  • Options
    Standard Supporter

this Hawaii game will be VERY important for the DBs. They need to really turn it around. We'll see

Hawaii is going to score, probably a lot.
  • Options
    digitsdigits Member Posts: 1,419
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes

I still think promoting Mark Helfrich in 2013 instead of hiring Pete (he wanted the job) was one of the biggest blunders in Oregon history. I'd be happy to take Pete off your hands.

Pete can coach. Let's not forget the Boise St fiesta bowl against Oklahoma, arguably one of the greatest college football games of all time.

Bullshit. If Petersen wanted that job, he would've gotten the job. End of story.

Also, he's not the same coach now as he was in that Fiesta Bowl. Not sure what happened to him, but he's gone dumbshit in close games, as well as bowl games.
  • Options
    whuggywhuggy Member Posts: 2,088

not giving him a pass, but he is doing what Pete isn't. He is putting the talent on the field. They made mistakes but they are young and they'll get it. If they don't, he has shown that he will put others out there. Pete doesn't do that
    Exactly why Petersen should get his mitts off the offense. I have been a huge Petersen honk all the way up to now but he has reached "show me" status. In addition his teams are generally horrible to watch. This is year six. For the first time I'm wondering if he hasn't hit his ceiling. I'm just not seeing him make the hard choices that champion level coaches do.
  • Options
    greenbloodgreenblood Member Posts: 14,285
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment Combo Breaker
    digits said:

Bullshit. If Petersen wanted that job, he would've gotten the job. End of story.

Also, he's not the same coach now as he was in that Fiesta Bowl. Not sure what happened to him, but he's gone dumbshit in close games, as well as bowl games.
    https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/uw-husky-football/four-years-ago-oregon-passed-on-chance-to-woo-chris-petersen-from-boise/

Even your own paper disagrees.

Oregon was so drunk on the "Chip Kelly magic", they thought anything he did or said was right. They blindly took his advice when he said that Helfrich was the man for the job, even though Chip took away play calling duties from him after only one game.
  • Options
    GOATGOAT Member Posts: 177
    We don’t create turnovers anymore. Idk why but it’s bullshit. You can’t be an elite defense without creating turnovers.
  • Options
    BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,668
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    GOAT said:

We don’t create turnovers anymore. Idk why but it’s bullshit. You can’t be an elite defense without creating turnovers.

I think this is the biggest problem that UW faces as a team, overall. The offense and defense are bound to have stupid games once in a while. You can mitigate that damage by forcing a couple turnovers and giving the offense a short field.

Look at how the Seahawks won yesterday for a perfect example of that.
  • Options
    DoogCouricsDoogCourics Member Posts: 5,739
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

Sorry Race but disagree.

In his first season as a playcaller, Lake had a better total defense and scoring defense than Kwat's previous 3 years. Can't say the defense has suffered when it's actually improved. The only knock was the lack of pressure and sacks, which now he's dialed up but to the detriment of big plays.

Kwat has a major hand in the defense and game planning. They'll sit down and figure it out. The blitzing and pressure has led to more sacks but also blown assignments and big plays for the other team. They'll adjust and find a balance. LIPO.

The offense on the other hand.... FYFMFE
  • Options
    creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,749
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic
    digits said:

Not necessarily.

Butch Davis wanted the Miami job and didn't get the Miami job.

ADs gonna AD when they wanna AD.

I had heard, too, that Oregon was on the short list of jobs he'd leave Boise for.