Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Softy questioned Pete 6 yrs ago

Comments

• Options
    digitsdigits Member Posts: 1,419
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    edited September 2019

digits said:

I still think promoting Mark Helfrich in 2013 instead of hiring Pete (he wanted the job) was one of the biggest blunders in Oregon history. I'd be happy to take Pete off your hands.

Pete can coach. Let's not forget the Boise St fiesta bowl against Oklahoma, arguably one of the greatest college football games of all time.

Bullshit. If Petersen wanted that job, he would've gotten the job. End of story.

Also, he's not the same coach now as he was in that Fiesta Bowl. Not sure what happened to him, but he's gone dumbshit in close games, as well as bowl games.
    https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/uw-husky-football/four-years-ago-oregon-passed-on-chance-to-woo-chris-petersen-from-boise/

Even your own paper disagrees.

Oregon was so drunk on the "Chip Kelly magic", they thought anything he did or said was right. They blindly took his advice when he said that Helfrich was the man for the job, even though Chip took away play calling duties from him after only one game.
    Ha ha. That entire article is based on conjecture written by 0reg0n alum, Adam Jude.
  • Options
    greenbloodgreenblood Member Posts: 14,293
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment Combo Breaker
    digits said:

digits said:

I still think promoting Mark Helfrich in 2013 instead of hiring Pete (he wanted the job) was one of the biggest blunders in Oregon history. I'd be happy to take Pete off your hands.

Pete can coach. Let's not forget the Boise St fiesta bowl against Oklahoma, arguably one of the greatest college football games of all time.

Bullshit. If Petersen wanted that job, he would've gotten the job. End of story.

Also, he's not the same coach now as he was in that Fiesta Bowl. Not sure what happened to him, but he's gone dumbshit in close games, as well as bowl games.
    https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/uw-husky-football/four-years-ago-oregon-passed-on-chance-to-woo-chris-petersen-from-boise/

Even your own paper disagrees.

Oregon was so drunk on the "Chip Kelly magic", they thought anything he did or said was right. They blindly took his advice when he said that Helfrich was the man for the job, even though Chip took away play calling duties from him after only one game.
    Ha ha. That entire article is based on conjecture written by 0reg0n alum, Adam Jude.
    That doesn't make it false
  • Options
    UW_Doog_BotUW_Doog_Bot Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 14,436
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    At this point David Shaw has a more successful big game record than Pete. Let that settle in.

• Options
    YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 34,236
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam

At this point David Shaw has a more successful big game record than Pete. Let that settle in.

• Options
    whuggywhuggy Member Posts: 2,088
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment

Shaw, Harbaugh, Petersen, Riley, etc. all Tier 2 coaches. Good but not great. Why should we think we deserve anything better? We are a Tier 2 fanbase. Hard to swallow but the truth often is.
  • Options
    creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,752
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic
    whuggy said:

Shaw, Harbaugh, Petersen, Riley, etc. all Tier 2 coaches. Good but not great. Why should we think we deserve anything better? We are a Tier 2 fanbase. Hard to swallow but the truth often is.

• Options
    BeerThirtyBeerThirty Member Posts: 2,465
    you don't change the process. The process changes you.
  • Options
    UW_Doog_BotUW_Doog_Bot Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 14,436
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

Are you telling me Pete hasn't been allowed to recruit a 5 star big armed QB?

The first time he blew it with Skinny. The second time he's proving why Skinny was right to leave.

Harb's record at Michigan has shown that Shaw's success isn't simply an inheritance. He's part of the formula.
  • Options
    oregonblitzkriegoregonblitzkrieg Member Posts: 15,288
    edited September 2019

Promoting Helfrich was the right move at the time. He plungered the defending champs in spectacular fashion and earned the ducks a second natty appearance in 4 years. Any coach that can get you to the championship game to gain a shot at the title is worth hiring. He just didn't have what it took to go the extra mile. For that, and for various other reasons that were obvious by that time, he should have been fired on the tarmac after the title game.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

Are you telling me Pete hasn't been allowed to recruit a 5 star big armed QB?

The first time he blew it with Skinny. The second time he's proving why Skinny was right to leave.

Harb's record at Michigan has shown that Shaw's success isn't simply an inheritance. He's part of the formula.
    Shaw's a good coach. Top 10 in the county IMO. But...

He didn't land Luck; he came to Stanford when Harbaugh was the coach.

His biggest achievement was beating Oregon in 2012 and 13. And they beat Wisco in the Rose. There's no wins over the like of Alabama, Auburn, Penn St, etc.
  • Options
    jecorneljecornel Member Posts: 9,643
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment
    Standard Supporter
    Let's hypothetically say Pete takes over the Alabama program tomorrow. Does he match Saban's success over the next six years?
  • Options
    greenbloodgreenblood Member Posts: 14,293
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment Combo Breaker

Promoting Helfrich was the right move at the time. He plungered the defending champs in spectacular fashion and earned the ducks a second natty appearance in 4 years. Any coach that can get you to the championship game to gain a shot at the title is worth hiring. He just didn't have what it took to go the extra mile. For that, and for various other reasons that were obvious by that time, he should have been fired on the tarmac after the title game.
    A ham sandwich and a bag of cheetos could have coached that Mariota lead team to the Championship game. Florida State was an extremely flawed team, and the only quality team top to bottom Oregon played that year was Ohio State in the title game, and they got smoked with a +4 turnover margin. +4 turnover margin, and lost that game by 22.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    jecornel said:

Let's hypothetically say Pete takes over the Alabama program tomorrow. Does he match Saban's success over the next six years?

I don't think so. My guess is he hates bag men and wouldn't be willing to do whatever it takes.

• Options
    digitsdigits Member Posts: 1,419
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes

this Hawaii game will be VERY important for the DBs. They need to really turn it around. We'll see

WR Cedric Byrd II is good, I expect he's gonna create some problems for us.