Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Ocasio-Cortez: Electoral College is ‘Affirmative Action’ for Rural Americans

Comments

• Options
    SledogSledog Member Posts: 30,814
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    H wants Los Angeles County to count more than 43 states. All those illegal voters want to make a difference!
  • Options
    2001400ex2001400ex Member Posts: 29,457
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes

Fucking idiot. Those who the the electoral college is antiquated have shit for brains.

Engrish please
  • Options
    SFGbobSFGbob Member Posts: 31,920
    Standard Supporter
    2001400ex said:

Fucking idiot. Those who the the electoral college is antiquated have shit for brains.

Engrish please
    Go fuck yourself. You understand that?
  • Options
    HHuskyHHusky Member Posts: 19,181
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Sledog said:

H wants Los Angeles County to count more than 43 states. All those illegal voters want to make a difference!

Imagine every vote mattering.
  • Options
    CirrhosisDawgCirrhosisDawg Member Posts: 6,390
    First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary

HHusky said:

Sledog said:

I thought about that a lot when mine got cancelled out multiple times by dead people in King County.
    King County’s white nationalists and protectionists are understandably melting down. Even those you would think know better.

• Options
    CuntWaffleCuntWaffle Member Posts: 22,493
    First Anniversary 5 Fuck Offs 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    HHusky said:

SRYK

Think we found CollegeDoog’s dad. Is needing an ID to vote racist?
  • Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,863

HHusky said:

Sledog said:

I thought about that a lot when mine got cancelled out multiple times by dead people in King County.
    King County’s white nationalists and protectionists are understandably melting down. Even those you would think know better.

I don’t know what the fuck that means.

And probably wouldn’t even without benefit of indica edibles and several shots of rye.
  • Options
    SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,064
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club

HHusky said:

Thanks! I doubt it will happen anytime soon too. That doesn’t mean the Electoral College remains a good thing. It has plainly failed one of the very purposes it was meant to serve.

Imagine a vanity candidacy turning into a Presidency.

Right now large patches of dirt have too much political power.

Translation:

We lost the election because we're shitbrains that run on a platform of fail, but it's not our fault, it's the electoral college that's the problem. Lets just get rid of it.
    Cannot stop laffing. YBFE
  • Options
    Doog_de_JourDoog_de_Jour Member Posts: 7,958
    Standard Supporter
    edited August 2019
    Once again, we as a country are arguing about the wrong things. Until the system in which we nominate a candidate for president is fixed, keeping or doing away with the Electoral College doesn’t matter much. This article from Stanford Magazine (hi @Gladstone!) articulates it nicely:

“The current system is weighted too heavily in favor of celebrity appeal, demagogic displays and appeals to narrow special interests...

...For almost the first half century of the republic, presidential candidates were chosen by the caucuses of the two parties in the House and the Senate. That system worked well until the two-party system briefly died with the Federalist Party. It was replaced by party conventions, which eventually were replaced (almost) with strings of single or multiple state primaries and caucuses. It seems to me that the original system may have been superior to what we now have. The elected officials of both parties have incentives to choose candidates with an eye toward popular electability and governing skill...”

I’m not saying we should return to the old way of nominating a presidential candidate, but after watching the shit show that was the Democratic debates I know something needs to change at that level before we start tinkering with anything else.
  • Options
    Pitchfork51Pitchfork51 Member Posts: 26,600
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    I am a fan of whoever makes the Dems the saddest
  • Options

Once again, we as a country are arguing about the wrong things. Until the system in which we nominate a candidate for president is fixed, keeping or doing away with the Electoral College doesn’t matter much. This article from Stanford Magazine (hi @Gladstone!) articulates it nicely:

“The current system is weighted too heavily in favor of celebrity appeal, demagogic displays and appeals to narrow special interests...

...For almost the first half century of the republic, presidential candidates were chosen by the caucuses of the two parties in the House and the Senate. That system worked well until the two-party system briefly died with the Federalist Party. It was replaced by party conventions, which eventually were replaced (almost) with strings of single or multiple state primaries and caucuses. It seems to me that the original system may have been superior to what we now have. The elected officials of both parties have incentives to choose candidates with an eye toward popular electability and governing skill...”

I’m not saying we should return to the old way of nominating a presidential candidate, but after watching the shit show that was the Democratic debates I know something needs to change at that level before we start tinkering with anything else.

That and the fact that literally no one wants the job. So the couple prior who would actually be good would never run.
  • Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,863

HHusky said:

Sledog said:

And probably wouldn’t even without benefit of indica edibles and several shots of rye.

Is that a call for genocide?

We'll allow it.

• Options
    Doog_de_JourDoog_de_Jour Member Posts: 7,958
    Standard Supporter

HHusky said:

Sledog said:

Is that a call for genocide?

We'll allow it.

• Options

HHusky said:

SRYK

Think we found CollegeDoog’s dad. Is needing an ID to vote racist?
    Absolutely not.

But if black people, poor people and college students were voting Republican, Republicans wouldn't be interested in this particular voter suppression scam.
  • Options

HHusky said:

Sledog said:

Every vote does matter you dullard
    Really? So Hillary is the President?
  • Options
    HHusky said:

HHusky said:

Sledog said:

Every vote does matter you dullard
    Really? So Hillary is the President?
    The best part is that Races vote went to Hillary because the electoral college.