Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Trump cannot understand currency or tariffs

Comments

• ApostleofGriefApostleofGrief Member Posts: 3,904
    edited August 2019
    Look, my argument anyway is that Trump is making baldfaced lies by claiming "China pays" or "we get a gift" for this regardless of what happens in our economy otherwise. American pay. And the inflation rate could be due also to other factors.

Economics is a chaotic system. There are too many variables, including sentiment/psychology, to ever come up with completely clear cause and effect. One thing is certain, though, if the change is massive, such as the introduction of ruinous tariffs, there WILL BE huge effects. What Trump has done is reduce business sentiment in investing on top of inflicting a massive tax on Americans. A mild change in inflation is not going to compensate.

You mean you can't just type an simple example of 'if I'm going to spend a $100 and China devalues its currency 3% but Trump institutes a tariff of $9.7 to $23' to prove Orange Man Bad?

Why again did this thread start?
    Go back and read. It's because he is claiming China is paying his tariffs -- you are.

More things may happen, sure...
  • HoustonHuskyHoustonHusky Member Posts: 5,961

Economics is a chaotic system. There are too many variables, including sentiment/psychology, to ever come up with completely clear cause and effect. One thing is certain, though, if the change is massive, such as the introduction of ruinous tariffs, there WILL BE huge effects. What Trump has done is reduce business sentiment in investing on top of inflicting a massive tax on Americans. A mild change in inflation is not going to compensate.

You mean you can't just type an simple example of 'if I'm going to spend a $100 and China devalues its currency 3% but Trump institutes a tariff of $9.7 to $23' to prove Orange Man Bad?

Why again did this thread start?
    Go back and read. It's because he is claiming China is paying his tariffs -- you are.

More things may happen, sure...
    If I was paying than the cost of what I was buying would go up by that amount. That's pretty simple math. The inflation rates show I haven't.

That means other things (China devaluation of currency, china factories lowering price, etc) are paying it. You know...maybe a simplistic way to phrase that would be 'claiming China is paying his tariffs'.

• UW_Doog_BotUW_Doog_Bot Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 15,322 Swaye's Wigwam

Look, my argument anyway is that Trump is making baldfaced lies by claiming "China pays" or "we get a gift" for this regardless of what happens in our economy otherwise. American pay. And the inflation rate could be due also to other factors.

Well, supposedly, China is devaluing their currency, which costs them their reserve dollars, to keep Chinese export prices competitive.

If this is happening: Spinning? sure. Baldfaced lie? Not really.

I'm glad that you are on team free trade now though. I look forward to you supporting further deregulation of other market sectors.
  • GDSGDS Member Posts: 1,470

GDS said:

GDS said:

I like how AOG left of factory price drops China have had as well...AOG doing HondoFS economics now.

Its why we have inflation indexes...

then get the numbers
    They are called inflation numbers. No need to as HondoFS has already (unintentionally) pointed out the inflation numbers have actually fallen off since Trump started implementing tariffs.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-economy-inflation/u-s-inflation-accelerates-fed-rate-cut-still-expected-idUSKCN1V3158

U.S. consumer prices increased broadly in July

Excluding the volatile food and energy components, the CPI gained 0.3% after rising by the same margin in June. It was the first time since early 2001 that the so-called core CPI increased 0.3% for two consecutive months.

The three-month core inflation rate jumped 2.8%, the most in eight years, supporting the view that weak inflation readings earlier in the year were caused by transitory factors.

Goldman Sachs estimates that tariffs have boosted year-on-year core PCE inflation by 10-15 basis points so far and that the new duties will add another 20 basis points.

“There were some hints in the report that the May round of tariffs may have had some flow-through to today’s number,” said Michael Feroli, an economist at JPMorgan in New York. “Core goods prices were up a firm 0.25%, with large increases in import-dependent categories like information technology commodities and household furnishings and supplies.”
    It doesn't look like it is materially different than the annualized goal of 2% inflation despite spikes and troughs . So what is your point?
    Huh? You don't think the CPI jumping by .3% in two consecutive months for the first time in 18 years and the highest core inflation rate in 8 is significant???
    highest core inflation rate in 8 months.

Love how you left off that nice little unit of time measurement. As AOG said...

GDS said:

I like how AOG left of factory price drops China have had as well...AOG doing HondoFS economics now.

then get the numbers
    They are called inflation numbers. No need to as HondoFS has already (unintentionally) pointed out the inflation numbers have actually fallen off since Trump started implementing tariffs.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-economy-inflation/u-s-inflation-accelerates-fed-rate-cut-still-expected-idUSKCN1V3158

Excluding the volatile food and energy components, the CPI gained 0.3% after rising by the same margin in June. It was the first time since early 2001 that the so-called core CPI increased 0.3% for two consecutive months.

The three-month core inflation rate jumped 2.8%, the most in eight years, supporting the view that weak inflation readings earlier in the year were caused by transitory factors.

Goldman Sachs estimates that tariffs have boosted year-on-year core PCE inflation by 10-15 basis points so far and that the new duties will add another 20 basis points.

“There were some hints in the report that the May round of tariffs may have had some flow-through to today’s number,” said Michael Feroli, an economist at JPMorgan in New York. “Core goods prices were up a firm 0.25%, with large increases in import-dependent categories like information technology commodities and household furnishings and supplies.”
    It doesn't look like it is materially different than the annualized goal of 2% inflation despite spikes and troughs . So what is your point?
    uh no....wanna try again? The three-month core inflation rate jumped 2.8%, the most in eight years

Well, supposedly, China is devaluing their currency, which costs them their reserve dollars, to keep Chinese export prices competitive.

I'm glad that you are on team free trade now though. I look forward to you supporting further deregulation of other market sectors.
    From what I've seen the Chicoms were propping the Yuan up over the last year as they lowered tariffs with everyone but us. Now that they have lowered tariffs with Japan, Canada, Brazil and Europe they are allowing their currency to more freely float and it's naturally showing it's weakness.
    GDS said:

GDS said:

GDS said:

then get the numbers

Huh? You don't think the CPI jumping by .3% in two consecutive months for the first time in 18 years and the highest core inflation rate in 8 is significant???

GDS said:

then get the numbers

uh no....wanna try again? The three-month core inflation rate jumped 2.8%, the most in eight years

Keep lying.

https://tradingeconomics.com/united-states/core-inflation-rate

• UW_Doog_BotUW_Doog_Bot Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 15,322 Swaye's Wigwam
    GDS said:

From what I've seen the Chicoms were propping the Yuan up over the last year as they lowered tariffs with everyone but us. Now that they have lowered tariffs with Japan, Canada, Brazil and Europe they are allowing their currency to more freely float and it's naturally showing it's weakness.
    Could be, hard to know for certain with anything in China, LIPO for sure as far as the currency is concerned.

Irregardless, APOG isn't exactly making a great argument.
  • CirrhosisDawgCirrhosisDawg Member Posts: 6,390

APOG isn't arguing anything but giving into the chicoms.

Trump caved to the chicoms today. Totally blinked, bent over and blew Xi all at the same time.
    He deferred his precious tariffs on Chinese electronic goods (that trumptards insanely insist US consumers don’t pay) until after the Christmas shopping season. Merry Xmas trumpanzees!
    Why would he retreat? For such a winning strategy (it’s really not, sorry bot, because adopting a policy - tariffs - that you say you want to eliminate is preposterous, as facts on the ground are showing) it’s absurd he’d defer it it was working. But at least he’s trying something!
  • haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 21,439 Swaye's Wigwam

Sorry, can't hear you over the sound of getting another massive raise because businesses are flourishing under Trump. Get off Twitter and clean the cum out of your eyes and look around.

Maybe you should stop being a fucking loser and actually go out and take advantage of THIS economy.

Or maybe go back to Central for another round. They're dialed in I'm sure.

GDS said:

GDS said:

GDS said:

then get the numbers

GDS said:

then get the numbers

Keep lying.

Just because you don't understand it doesn't mean it's a lie. The most recent 3 months (May, June, July) have the highest 3 month core inflation increase of any 3 month period for the last eight years.

Look, Trump is saying that China is paying and giving us a gift. It's patently false.

That most of you are arguing in his favor is only a proof of mass insanity. Sorry, they aren't paying.
  • WestlinnDuckWestlinnDuck Member Posts: 14,937 Standard Supporter
    CD seems to be on board the chicom train.

Look, Trump is saying that China is paying and giving us a gift. It's patently false.

That most of you are arguing in his favor is only a proof of mass insanity. Sorry, they aren't paying.

Most of us are actually laughing all the way to the bank.

You're such a loooooser.
    haie said:

You're such a loooooser.
    I can see haie at the bank. Hello, I am here to deposit my net transaction ma'am: -$6.00 (oh, wait, I guess withdrawal)
    GDS said:

GDS said:

GDS said:

GDS said:

then get the numbers

GDS said:

then get the numbers

Keep lying.

Just because you don't understand it doesn't mean it's a lie. The most recent 3 months (May, June, July) have the highest 3 month core inflation increase of any 3 month period for the last eight years.

I know exactly what fake numerology you are trying to spin...the number isn’t bad, but since in was almost 0% a couple months ago and now it’s back to a normal 2% then if you draw a straight line out for a year it’s awful. Of course, the tariffs began last year and somehow inflation still went down from 2% to that almost 0% a couple months ago, which if we drew a line on those three months and extended it out then we’d be in serious deflation and the world would be over and blah blah blah.

All so you can try and say Orange Man Bad without any actual data. Even AoG called you FS for trying to see patterns in the noise, although I’m not sure he really meant to...
  • CirrhosisDawgCirrhosisDawg Member Posts: 6,390

CD seems to be on board the chicom train.

Thanks to trump’s capitulation today, you can still buy your low-tariff cheap electronics from China engineered with stolen US technology until Xmas. After that, things are gonna change. That’s when trump is going to serious! US farmers? They are not so lucky. They are still on trump’s dole. I hope none of them are legal immigrants because now they can be deported too. Make sense?

haie said:

You're such a loooooser.
    I can see haie at the bank. Hello, I am here to deposit my net transaction ma'am: -$6.00 (oh, wait, I guess withdrawal)
    Jesus Christ that is weak. Even for the Tug.
    edited August 2019

GDS said:

GDS said:

GDS said:

GDS said:

then get the numbers

GDS said:

then get the numbers

Keep lying.

I know exactly what fake numerology you are trying to spin...the number isn’t bad, but since in was almost 0% a couple months ago and now it’s back to a normal 2% then if you draw a straight line out for a year it’s awful. Of course, the tariffs began last year and somehow inflation still went down from 2% to that almost 0% a couple months ago, which if we drew a line on those three months and extended it out then we’d be in serious deflation and the world would be over and blah blah blah.

All so you can try and say Orange Man Bad without any actual data. Even AoG called you FS for trying to see patterns in the noise, although I’m not sure he really meant to...
    It might help the US economy in a marginal way. My argument was only that Trump is a liar, though, for repeatedly lying with the ridiculous notion that China pays or is giving us a "gift." It's fucking bullshit. But Americans are obese and dumb. So we have an obese and dumb president. He lies -- they believe.