Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Trump cannot understand currency or tariffs

Comments

• HoustonHuskyHoustonHusky Member Posts: 5,961
    edited August 2019

I like how AOG left of factory price drops China have had as well...AOG doing HondoFS economics now.

Its why we have inflation indexes...

then get the numbers
    They are called inflation numbers. No need to as HondoFS has already (unintentionally) pointed out the inflation numbers have actually fallen off since Trump started implementing tariffs.

• ApostleofGriefApostleofGrief Member Posts: 3,904

Maybe you should quit an hide under your bed with the girls afraid of white supremacists

https://cnn.com/2019/07/15/economy/china-gdp-growth/index.html

Hong Kong (CNN Business)China's economic growth has slumped to its lowest level in nearly three decades as the world's second largest economy feels the effects of a prolonged trade war with the United States.

The country's gross domestic product grew at 6.2% in the quarter ended June, the slowest quarterly growth rate since 1992 and down from 6.4% in the previous quarter, according to government figures released on Monday.
    And the Chinese economy will continue to face "downward pressure" in the second half of this year, the country's National Bureau of Statistics said in a statement.
    "The Chinese economy is still in a complex and grave situation," it said. "Global growth has slowed and external uncertainties are on the rise."
    Beijing and Washington recently agreed a temporary truce in their months-long trade war and are planning to restart trade talks.

This is why we don't need pussies in the government that are scared to win and get upset over some cheap shit from China costing more

This is a little bigger than that but go ahead and vote for Biden who China owns.

That shows China's economy is going down. My argument is not that. Trump says "the tens of billions of dollars that the U.S. is receiving is a gift from China." This is a false and grossly misleading statement. I'm not arguing China is a problem, I know it is. It is the solution I'm talking about.

Any one speak gibberish?
    So, like I said, you don't argue rationally so there is no point in continuing. You believe nonsense like people believe religion. It's OK. It's a human defect.
    Nobody has believed and peddled more nonsense here than Team Hondo of which you are a proud and loud member

Heal yourself
    Man. How can anything be more nonsensical than a president who says "tens of billions of dollars... the US is receiving is a gift from China"? The fact is that you are using post-truthism. You don't want to believe in truth. It truly is that simple.

I like how AOG left of factory price drops China have had as well...AOG doing HondoFS economics now.

then get the numbers
    They are called inflation numbers. No need to as HondoFS has already (unintentionally) pointed out the inflation numbers have actually fallen off since Trump started implementing tariffs.

US inflation or China? Ours has been low for the entire century to date. No argument.
  • GwadGwad Member Posts: 2,855

Maybe you should quit an hide under your bed with the girls afraid of white supremacists

Hong Kong (CNN Business)China's economic growth has slumped to its lowest level in nearly three decades as the world's second largest economy feels the effects of a prolonged trade war with the United States.

The country's gross domestic product grew at 6.2% in the quarter ended June, the slowest quarterly growth rate since 1992 and down from 6.4% in the previous quarter, according to government figures released on Monday.
    And the Chinese economy will continue to face "downward pressure" in the second half of this year, the country's National Bureau of Statistics said in a statement.
    "The Chinese economy is still in a complex and grave situation," it said. "Global growth has slowed and external uncertainties are on the rise."
    Beijing and Washington recently agreed a temporary truce in their months-long trade war and are planning to restart trade talks.

This is why we don't need pussies in the government that are scared to win and get upset over some cheap shit from China costing more

This is a little bigger than that but go ahead and vote for Biden who China owns.

That shows China's economy is going down. My argument is not that. Trump says "the tens of billions of dollars that the U.S. is receiving is a gift from China." This is a false and grossly misleading statement. I'm not arguing China is a problem, I know it is. It is the solution I'm talking about.

Any one speak gibberish?
    So, like I said, you don't argue rationally so there is no point in continuing. You believe nonsense like people believe religion. It's OK. It's a human defect.
    Nobody has believed and peddled more nonsense here than Team Hondo of which you are a proud and loud member

Heal yourself
    Man. How can anything be more nonsensical than a president who says "tens of billions of dollars... the US is receiving is a gift from China"? The fact is that you are using post-truthism. You don't want to believe in truth. It truly is that simple.
    Ya you're arguing with a Climate Change is a hoax invented by China guy. Good luck.
  • UW_Doog_BotUW_Doog_Bot Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 15,212 Swaye's Wigwam
    GDS said:

No it doesnt. It says the Chinese economy isn't growing as fast as it once was and is now "only" growing at three times the rate of our economy. No one expected the Chinese economy to continue to grow at 10-11% as it's transitioned as it's unsustainable.
    I suppose you believe that North Koreans are well fed and happy too.
  • GDSGDS Member Posts: 1,470

then get the numbers

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-economy-inflation/u-s-inflation-accelerates-fed-rate-cut-still-expected-idUSKCN1V3158

U.S. consumer prices increased broadly in July

Excluding the volatile food and energy components, the CPI gained 0.3% after rising by the same margin in June. It was the first time since early 2001 that the so-called core CPI increased 0.3% for two consecutive months.

The three-month core inflation rate jumped 2.8%, the most in eight years, supporting the view that weak inflation readings earlier in the year were caused by transitory factors.

Goldman Sachs estimates that tariffs have boosted year-on-year core PCE inflation by 10-15 basis points so far and that the new duties will add another 20 basis points.

“There were some hints in the report that the May round of tariffs may have had some flow-through to today’s number,” said Michael Feroli, an economist at JPMorgan in New York. “Core goods prices were up a firm 0.25%, with large increases in import-dependent categories like information technology commodities and household furnishings and supplies.”
    GDS said:

then get the numbers

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-economy-inflation/u-s-inflation-accelerates-fed-rate-cut-still-expected-idUSKCN1V3158

Excluding the volatile food and energy components, the CPI gained 0.3% after rising by the same margin in June. It was the first time since early 2001 that the so-called core CPI increased 0.3% for two consecutive months.

The three-month core inflation rate jumped 2.8%, the most in eight years, supporting the view that weak inflation readings earlier in the year were caused by transitory factors.

Goldman Sachs estimates that tariffs have boosted year-on-year core PCE inflation by 10-15 basis points so far and that the new duties will add another 20 basis points.

“There were some hints in the report that the May round of tariffs may have had some flow-through to today’s number,” said Michael Feroli, an economist at JPMorgan in New York. “Core goods prices were up a firm 0.25%, with large increases in import-dependent categories like information technology commodities and household furnishings and supplies.”
    It doesn't look like it is materially different than the annualized goal of 2% inflation despite spikes and troughs . So what is your point?
  • SledogSledog Member Posts: 32,765 Standard Supporter
    Gwad said:

Any one speak gibberish?

Heal yourself
    Ya you're arguing with a Climate Change is a hoax invented by China guy. Good luck.

• RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 103,943 Founders Club

Any one speak gibberish?

Heal yourself
    The fact is no one cares about your quote that you hang onto like your last girlfriend who left you with your tiny dick in your hand

Biden is bought and paid for by China AND says stupid shit everyday

What's your fucking point?
  • RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 103,943 Founders Club
    Gwad said:

Any one speak gibberish?

Heal yourself
    He is?

Lightweight

GDS said:

then get the numbers

It doesn't look like it is materially different than the annualized goal of 2% inflation despite spikes and troughs . So what is your point?
    My point exactly. If the tariffs were forcing people to pay at least 6% more for everything from China (your original example of "you are out a minimum of $6" on a $100 spent) than you would see it in the inflation numbers. And we haven't (with 2018 and 2019-to-date having lower inflation than 2016 and 2017), which means a combination of China currency devaluation, China factories lowering prices, shift of purchases to other sources, and ten other things has meant the consumer is not paying the tariff.
  • TurdBomberTurdBomber Member Posts: 19,838 Standard Supporter
    TDS.
    FULL-BLOWN.
    AOG.
    HAS.
  • TurdBomberTurdBomber Member Posts: 19,838 Standard Supporter

GDS said:

holy shit - Kudlow claiming the Chinese economy is not the "powerhouse it was 20 years ago" is just epicly stupid. If you believe that horseshit then you are dumber then I thought Race and I already thought you were pretty stupid.

He's a witty writer but has bought into believing nonsense like "China pays". His main counterargument is a fallacy of ridicule. Just laugh and mock, and the opponent is wrong. No wonder he flunked law school.
    What did you "flunk" to wind up at CWU, AOG? Life?

GDS said:

then get the numbers

My point exactly. If the tariffs were forcing people to pay at least 6% more for everything from China (your original example of "you are out a minimum of $6" on a $100 spent) than you would see it in the inflation numbers. And we haven't (with 2018 and 2019-to-date having lower inflation than 2016 and 2017), which means a combination of China currency devaluation, China factories lowering prices, shift of purchases to other sources, and ten other things has meant the consumer is not paying the tariff.
    You're playing a shell game.
  • GDSGDS Member Posts: 1,470

GDS said:

then get the numbers

Huh? You don't think the CPI jumping by .3% in two consecutive months for the first time in 18 years and the highest core inflation rate in 8 is significant???
    GDS said:

GDS said:

then get the numbers

Huh? You don't think the CPI jumping by .3% in two consecutive months for the first time in 18 years and the highest core inflation rate in 8 is significant???
    highest core inflation rate in 8 months.

Love how you left off that nice little unit of time measurement. As AOG said...

GDS said:

then get the numbers

Economics is a chaotic system. There are too many variables, including sentiment/psychology, to ever come up with completely clear cause and effect. One thing is certain, though, if the change is massive, such as the introduction of ruinous tariffs, there WILL BE huge effects. What Trump has done is reduce business sentiment in investing on top of inflicting a massive tax on Americans. A mild change in inflation is not going to compensate.

Economics is a chaotic system. There are too many variables, including sentiment/psychology, to ever come up with completely clear cause and effect. One thing is certain, though, if the change is massive, such as the introduction of ruinous tariffs, there WILL BE huge effects. What Trump has done is reduce business sentiment in investing on top of inflicting a massive tax on Americans. A mild change in inflation is not going to compensate.

You mean you can't just type an simple example of 'if I'm going to spend a $100 and China devalues its currency 3% but Trump institutes a tariff of $9.7 to $23' to prove Orange Man Bad?

Why again did this thread start?
  • Blu82Blu82 Member Posts: 1,556
    Since I found myself with no real occupation at age 52, I decided to trade ag commodities in the Pacific Rim. (It's a family thing)
    As a result I have conversations with folks that have up close and personal contacts with the ChiComs on a regular basis.
    Every one of my trading partners will tell you that the Chinese economy is hurt and hurt bad. Most feel the ChiComs are looking for a way out of this trade war while saving face, a HUGE thing in the Chinese culture.
    Trump and the United States are winning.
    Just think, the Libs are hoping for a Trump, and therefore a United States, failure.
  • WestlinnDuckWestlinnDuck Member Posts: 14,870 Standard Supporter
    AOG still hasn't come clean about his pro chicom policies. Trump says stupid shit and he wasn’t my choice for the Republican nominee and I wrote in Cruz on my presidential ballot. I’m voting form him in 2020 because of his actual policies and not the stupid shit that he says. Each dem candidate says stupid shit all the time as did the last dem president. But combining stupid sayings with even dumber policies is much different than Trump. Barry said we could keep our plans and doctors and save $2500. All lies combined with stupid shit policies. Barry said we couldn’t drill our way to lower energy prices. That was a stupid sh*t statement and thankfully capitalism showed that you can. Dems still oppose fracking and exporting LNG. A typical leftard loves to focus on the stupid sayings and then ignore policy or actually promote anti-American policies. Leftards lie and love to be lied to.