Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Recessions are good

Comments

• Options
    SledogSledog Member Posts: 30,849
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Yeah Venezuela's economy is booming!
  • Options
    HHuskyHHusky Member Posts: 19,196
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Sledog said:

Yeah Venezuela's economy is booming!

I feel so much richer now that I realize Venezuela sucks!
  • Options
    TurdBomberTurdBomber Member Posts: 19,752
    2001400ex said:

HHusky said:

SFGbob said:

HHusky said:

We have to destroy free trade with tariffs to save free trade.

What other solution do you have?

I know lil' buddy, we should just let them take more advantage of the American people and put more out of work with higher trade deficits. How much do you want to let them steal in intellectual property? 10 Trillion? How many trillions until you FEEL GOOD about our relationship with China?
    There’s a solution in this post? I noticed that once again you never answer any questions,
    The solution is to wait them out dumbfuck. Did you think the Communists were going to care whether they were stealing our technology or putting our people out of work by dumping their junk into this country? We had to draw a line at some point. As we saw with BO he just laid down like a fucking rug and told Americans manufacturing in this country was dead. Brilliant.

Manufacturing remains a small part of the US economy. Daddy's trade war has driven it into recession.
    We've had two quarters in a row of negative GDP? Got a link Kunt?
    Manufacturing is in recession. It was in all the papers. You're not bright.
    Tax cuts will bring our manufacturing jobs back!!
    Manufacturing burgers never left. You're safe, Hondo.
  • Options
    Pitchfork51Pitchfork51 Member Posts: 26,601
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker

Senator Reed Smoot and Representative Willis Hawley are belly laughing about trump’s China tariffs in the media room.

Are those real namew
  • Options
    UW_Doog_BotUW_Doog_Bot Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 14,261
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

"That’s bad enough, but tolerable, says Morgan Stanley, which makes the case that if those 10% tariffs are kept for longer than four or five months, global growth will remain weak in the range of 2.8% to 3%, despite interest-rate cuts from central banks.

Global growth was 3.6% in 2018 and projected to grow 3.2% in 2019, according to the July estimates from the International Monetary Fund.

Morgan Stanley defines a global recession as one where global growth is below 2.5%."

I'll take 2.5% GDP growth in the US while China slides into recession if that's what you are currently offering.

@UW_Doog_Bot - what's your take on the Chinese devaluing their currency today?

Head fake or justified?

The Throbber doesn't trust those sneaky bastards.

I actually think there's a huge loss of demand for the Yuan and that China is actually probably trying to prop it up not the other way around. Just my guess though. I think the 6.5(or 6.2)% GDP growth figures are complete horseshit and mirror targets way to well despite huge losses in demand across multiple sectors. It's the same playbook as the great leap forward when iron production was falsified to make leadership happy. There's no one place to point to but there's systematic bias and error in measurement down to a grassroots level. When you have over a billion people measuring something with bias you can end up with some wildly inaccurate measurements.

I'm educated on a lot of the subject and watch a lot of these things closely but this is all still my best guess. Please don't make any currency bets on my takes. Dismal science is dismal to begin with and I'm not half as tuned in as I once was to international supply chains.

Actually curious what international capital markets are doing @CirrhosisDawg
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,443
    Swaye's Wigwam
    China blinked again by the way

Trying to run out the clock and wait for Biden
  • Options
    HustlinOwlHustlinOwl Member Posts: 953
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Can't wait for all the low paying jobs making plastic crap come back to the US.
  • Options
    HHuskyHHusky Member Posts: 19,196

They're inscrutable.
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,443
    Swaye's Wigwam
    HHusky said:

They're inscrutable.
    No

Pretty clear actually
  • Options
    SFGbobSFGbob Member Posts: 31,920
    Standard Supporter

Why, do you need a job? Or are looking to get that welfare mother with 5 kids who's ass you were tapping a job?
  • Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,875

"That’s bad enough, but tolerable, says Morgan Stanley, which makes the case that if those 10% tariffs are kept for longer than four or five months, global growth will remain weak in the range of 2.8% to 3%, despite interest-rate cuts from central banks.

Global growth was 3.6% in 2018 and projected to grow 3.2% in 2019, according to the July estimates from the International Monetary Fund.

Morgan Stanley defines a global recession as one where global growth is below 2.5%."

I'll take 2.5% GDP growth in the US while China slides into recession if that's what you are currently offering.

Head fake or justified?

I actually think there's a huge loss of demand for the Yuan and that China is actually probably trying to prop it up not the other way around. Just my guess though. I think the 6.5(or 6.2)% GDP growth figures are complete horseshit and mirror targets way to well despite huge losses in demand across multiple sectors. It's the same playbook as the great leap forward when iron production was falsified to make leadership happy. There's no one place to point to but there's systematic bias and error in measurement down to a grassroots level. When you have over a billion people measuring something with bias you can end up with some wildly inaccurate measurements.

I'm educated on a lot of the subject and watch a lot of these things closely but this is all still my best guess. Please don't make any currency bets on my takes. Dismal science is dismal to begin with and I'm not half as tuned in as I once was to international supply chains.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt7215388/

I still don't trust those sneaky bastards as far as I can throw them.

But to your point - the Chinese aren't so good at measuring and accounting for things. Between blatant dishonesty and variance over a LARGE base, I just flat don't believe their numbers most of the time.

• Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

Sorry, this is more about the theft of about a trillion in IP a year which is one of the most important sectors of the US economy. It roughly translates to about 5% in immediate measurable GDP loss. How different do you think the economy would look with an added 5% growth per year in the last decade?
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

Head fake or justified?

But to your point - the Chinese aren't so good at measuring and accounting for things. Between blatant dishonesty and variance over a LARGE base, I just flat don't believe their numbers most of the time.

Well, even the Chinese don't trust the Chinese. Top CCP brass has admitted they don't use official numbers for policy planning because of "variance". Much like the old USSR lying is the default standard.
  • Options
    SledogSledog Member Posts: 30,849

Sorry, this is more about the theft of about a trillion in IP a year which is one of the most important sectors of the US economy. It roughly translates to about 5% in immediate measurable GDP loss. How different do you think the economy would look with an added 5% growth per year in the last decade?
    He won't be able to buy cheap chinese hipster products and fake lumberjack clothing. How will he survive a catastrophe of that magnitude?
  • Options
    HustlinOwlHustlinOwl Member Posts: 953
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes

Tell that to the farmers. It's not more about IP theft.
  • Options
    SFGbobSFGbob Member Posts: 31,920
    Standard Supporter

Tell that to the farmers. It's not more about IP theft.
    What would you do about China's IP theft Owl?
  • Options
    TurdBomberTurdBomber Member Posts: 19,752
    HHusky said:

HHusky said:

Sledog said:

Hondo Bros. are hoping China invades and they switch sides.

Real patriots like being laid off. Cuz the Chinese!
    We're all going to die HH! Run for the hills! The economy is going to be destroyed! We should just let the Chinese take advantage of us as our weapons are useless against them!!!!!!!!!!!

FFS get a backbone there buttercup.

That time of the month?
    Were both of your parents perverts? Or just one?
  • Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,875

Head fake or justified?

Well, even the Chinese don't trust the Chinese. Top CCP brass has admitted they don't use official numbers for policy planning because of "variance". Much like the old USSR lying is the default standard.
    If you haven't watched The China Hustle, you should. The Chinese give no fucks when it comes to raking money from foreigners.

They care not about such things as 'independent audits'.

• Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

Head fake or justified?

If you haven't watched The China Hustle, you should. The Chinese give no fucks when it comes to raking money from foreigners.

Lol I've worked overseas and worked with the Chinese. They give no fucks even when it comes to raking money from other Chinese.

At least the Russians have the courtesy to let you know they aren't going to follow the rules.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

Head fake or justified?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2Hu6fHq7ZM