Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

The Riddle of the Gun - Great piece by Sam Harris

Comments

• Options
    SledogSledog Member Posts: 30,851
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    HHusky said:

Swaye said:

Sledog said:

HHusky said:

Sledog said:

HHusky said:

Sledog said:

jecornel said:

Well, essentially he is arguing that gun free zones are bullshit and schools need to arm themselves with people properly trained to handle a fire arm.

I'm not sure what article you read.

DR, but if that's true it's what I want. Turn soft targets into hard targets and the shooters taste their own lead. Fairly strong deterrent in my mind.

And for the "they want to die anyway" argument, fine. But they're not taking 20+ with them if the biology teacher caps their ass after firing 3 shots.

The Walmart shooter had 20 fucking minutes to kill. Shorten that time frame, save lives.
    These sheeple can't understand fighting back. They are incapable of taking care of themselves. They rely on others with balls big enough to protect them. Sheepdogs to protect them from the wolves. They'd hide with the women and children. They're tough like that.
    Yeah you won't see MallCop wandering the grocery store without a drawn pistol.
    You won't see me wandering anywhere without a gun. Why do I carry a gun everywhere? Because I can! I'm not paranoid, I have a gun. I don't carry it to force my will upon others. I carry it so others can't force their will upon me and mine.
    Okay Captain Queeg. We got the picture.
    Feel free to cower in a fucking corner helplessly while they murder your family in front of you. That's your choice.
    All bull shitting around, what are the odds that any of us will ever be out somewhere in public and having the piece will save ours or a family member's life? Unless you're someone who spends a lot of time in higher risk areas, you're far more likely to die from any manner of other shit, than you are being "the good guy with a gun" hero.

I love my gun. I don't think it will ever get used most likely in my life other that against beer cans and watermelons.
    I tend to agree that the odds are very highly against me ever having to use a gun outside of my home (home invasion/burglary scenario). And hell, they are quite small even in an in home scenario.

That said, I am from the school of thinking that I would rather have it and not need it, than the reverse. I was first licensed to carry a concealed handgun in Texas 25 years ago. Was later licensed in WA, FL, TX again, and finally VA. I spent 7 years unable to get a license in CA and MD (thanks Navy). In my 18 years of carrying concealed I have never had to use a gun, or really even be close to having to use it. I am thankful for that. I don't want to have to shoot anyone, even Brownsox. But I'd hate to get shot even more. So I will keep carrying.

Most of us shouldn’t carry. I’m not ever going to put in the time to know what I’m doing and I know full well that my odds of being struck by lightning are greater than the odds a gun would ever be useful to me. But despite all this, I wouldn’t have any difficulty buying a gun, and that’s a large part of the problem.
    How so? You have a constitutional right to buy one. Unless you've been precluded because of criminal convictions or mental illness why shouldn't you be able to?

Don't have to do shit to go vote. Don't even have to be a citizen.
  • Options
    HHuskyHHusky Member Posts: 19,200
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment

One of the Tug statists, can't remember which, has had the honesty to say ze wants the 2A repealed or modified. I vehemently disagree with that but it is the honest discussion. Piecemeal statutory restrictions and encumberments are not honest. We! have allowed too much of that erosion of the Bill of Rights.

The Second Amendment isn’t treated as an absolute right in practice, but if we have to amend it in order to acknowledge what we actually do in in the real world, it’s fine by me.
  • Options
    GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,481
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    HHusky said:

One of the Tug statists, can't remember which, has had the honesty to say ze wants the 2A repealed or modified. I vehemently disagree with that but it is the honest discussion. Piecemeal statutory restrictions and encumberments are not honest. We! have allowed too much of that erosion of the Bill of Rights.

The Second Amendment isn’t treated as an absolute right in practice, but if we have to amend it in order to acknowledge what we actually do in in the real world, it’s fine by me.
    How so?
  • Options
    HHuskyHHusky Member Posts: 19,200
    Sledog said:

Sledog said:

HHusky said:

Sledog said:

HHusky said:

Sledog said:

jecornel said:

Well, essentially he is arguing that gun free zones are bullshit and schools need to arm themselves with people properly trained to handle a fire arm.

DR, but if that's true it's what I want. Turn soft targets into hard targets and the shooters taste their own lead. Fairly strong deterrent in my mind.

And for the "they want to die anyway" argument, fine. But they're not taking 20+ with them if the biology teacher caps their ass after firing 3 shots.

The Walmart shooter had 20 fucking minutes to kill. Shorten that time frame, save lives.
    These sheeple can't understand fighting back. They are incapable of taking care of themselves. They rely on others with balls big enough to protect them. Sheepdogs to protect them from the wolves. They'd hide with the women and children. They're tough like that.
    You won't see me wandering anywhere without a gun. Why do I carry a gun everywhere? Because I can! I'm not paranoid, I have a gun. I don't carry it to force my will upon others. I carry it so others can't force their will upon me and mine.
    Feel free to cower in a fucking corner helplessly while they murder your family in front of you. That's your choice.
    All bull shitting around, what are the odds that any of us will ever be out somewhere in public and having the piece will save ours or a family member's life? Unless you're someone who spends a lot of time in higher risk areas, you're far more likely to die from any manner of other shit, than you are being "the good guy with a gun" hero.

I love my gun. I don't think it will ever get used most likely in my life other that against beer cans and watermelons.
    True but that doesn't mean it won't or can't happen. I don't plan for the best scenario. Most victims say "I thought something like this would never happen to me". Except gang members they know it's coming.

It 's like life insurance. Only handier.

Odd you said that I just saw this: This guys mom packs always and left it at home before they went to WalMart that day......

https://dailycaller.com/2019/08/06/el-paso-shooting-chris-cuomo-gun-grandma/?
    If you’re concerned about possibilities, you’d get more bang for your buck wearing an impact cushioning helmet at all times.
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    HHusky said:

Sledog said:

Sledog said:

HHusky said:

Sledog said:

HHusky said:

Sledog said:

jecornel said:

True but that doesn't mean it won't or can't happen. I don't plan for the best scenario. Most victims say "I thought something like this would never happen to me". Except gang members they know it's coming.

Odd you said that I just saw this: This guys mom packs always and left it at home before they went to WalMart that day......

https://dailycaller.com/2019/08/06/el-paso-shooting-chris-cuomo-gun-grandma/?
    If you’re concerned about possibilities, you’d get more bang for your buck wearing an impact cushioning helmet at all times.
    My experience tells me that being the victim of violent crime sucks. I've seen the results.

It's pretty obvious you haven't followed your own advice.
  • Options
    UW_Doog_BotUW_Doog_Bot Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 14,265
    Swaye's Wigwam
    HHusky said:

Swaye said:

Sledog said:

HHusky said:

Sledog said:

HHusky said:

Sledog said:

jecornel said:

I tend to agree that the odds are very highly against me ever having to use a gun outside of my home (home invasion/burglary scenario). And hell, they are quite small even in an in home scenario.

That said, I am from the school of thinking that I would rather have it and not need it, than the reverse. I was first licensed to carry a concealed handgun in Texas 25 years ago. Was later licensed in WA, FL, TX again, and finally VA. I spent 7 years unable to get a license in CA and MD (thanks Navy). In my 18 years of carrying concealed I have never had to use a gun, or really even be close to having to use it. I am thankful for that. I don't want to have to shoot anyone, even Brownsox. But I'd hate to get shot even more. So I will keep carrying.

Most of us shouldn’t carry. I’m not ever going to put in the time to know what I’m doing and I know full well that my odds of being struck by lightning are greater than the odds a gun would ever be useful to used against me in a mass shooting. But despite all this, I wouldn’t have any difficulty buying a gun, and that’s a large part of the problem.
    FTFY.
  • Options
    YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,961
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Swaye said:

Sledog said:

Sledog said:

HHusky said:

Sledog said:

HHusky said:

Sledog said:

jecornel said:

Right, but I don't want to spend my life worrying about 1 in million stuff. I am more concerned about car accidents and my kids getting sick than hypotheticals where a gun will save my life. I've got the shot barrel 12'er for possible civil disorder in Seattle post earthquake, camping in the woods near meth heads, home invasion, etc. Beyond that I'm never in a scenario worth worrying about.
    What I like and respect about you is that while you find that carrying a weapon as a law abiding citizen isn't something that interests you, you seem to have enough respect for my rights to not want it banned for me. I get why some people don't want to carry - takes a great deal of training to not fuck it up, large responsibility to do it properly, makes dressing in the summer a bitch, etc., and all for a very low percentage chance you will ever need to use it. But, as long as you don't try to shit all over my rights, then I'm cool. It's the faggots who want me to conform to their worldview that annoy me.

• Options
    TurdBomberTurdBomber Member Posts: 19,752
    HHusky said:

HHusky said:

jecornel said:

jecornel said:

Sam Harris owns several guns and trains regularly. He references the carnage people have done with a knife and you would rather have a gun in your hand facing someone wielding a knife.

He points out if someone breaks into your home do you think the police will arrive in time? He would rather not find out. When seconds can matter he would rather defend himself.

References any legislation is pointless and only limits good people from having guns as bad people will get them anyway by any means.

Every American is born with the right to bear arms. But crazy Americans? That's where I'd start drawing lines.
    Your quarrel is with Sled.
    And you're a fag. So what?
    You say it like it's a bad thing.
    You don't know the difference between a gay dude and a fag. Pathetic.

Not surprising that a shitty lawyer who can't get his facts straight could be so ignorant.
  • Options
    TurdBomberTurdBomber Member Posts: 19,752
    HHusky said:

Sledog said:

HHusky said:

Sledog said:

HHusky said:

Sledog said:

jecornel said:

You must be fun to shower with.
    My God. What a fag.
  • Options
    dfleadflea Member Posts: 7,221
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Sledog said:

Sledog said:

Sledog said:

HHusky said:

Sledog said:

HHusky said:

Sledog said:

jecornel said:

Right, but I don't want to spend my life worrying about 1 in million stuff. I am more concerned about car accidents and my kids getting sick than hypotheticals where a gun will save my life. I've got the shot barrel 12'er for possible civil disorder in Seattle post earthquake, camping in the woods near meth heads, home invasion, etc. Beyond that I'm never in a scenario worth worrying about.
    To each his own. It's your decision. A lot of people don't like me because I put them in prison. Many cartel people included.
    Yes. Many cartel people.

lol
  • Options
    dflea said:

Sledog said:

Sledog said:

Sledog said:

HHusky said:

Sledog said:

HHusky said:

Sledog said:

jecornel said:

To each his own. It's your decision. A lot of people don't like me because I put them in prison. Many cartel people included.
    Yes. Many cartel people.

lol
    6 years working major narcotics in the Los Angeles HIDTA group. It's all cartels, dingus. You can look HIDTA up yourself.
  • Options
    dfleadflea Member Posts: 7,221
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Sledog said:

dflea said:

Sledog said:

Sledog said:

Sledog said:

HHusky said:

Sledog said:

HHusky said:

Sledog said:

jecornel said:

Yes. Many cartel people.

lol
    6 years working major narcotics in the Los Angeles HIDTA group. It's all cartels, dingus. You can look HIDTA up yourself.
    I'm sorry. You seem to have mistaken me for someone who cares.

• Options
    dflea said:

Sledog said:

dflea said:

Sledog said:

Sledog said:

Sledog said:

HHusky said:

Sledog said:

HHusky said:

Sledog said:

jecornel said:

Yes. Many cartel people.

lol
    I'm sorry. You seem to have mistaken me for someone who cares.

I don't make shit up. I don't have to.
  • Options
    UW_Doog_BotUW_Doog_Bot Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 14,265
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Sledog said:

dflea said:

Sledog said:

Sledog said:

Sledog said:

HHusky said:

Sledog said:

HHusky said:

Sledog said:

jecornel said:

Yes. Many cartel people.

lol
    One of my best friends growing up worked the same group from about 2008-2015? Crazy fuckin' stories.
  • Options
    2001400ex2001400ex Member Posts: 29,457

HHusky said:

How so?
    Depends on who you ask and your definition of "shall not be infringed". But to start, try buying a fully automatic weapon and tell me if your rights are infringed. If you go by sledogs definition, then background checks, 3 day waiting period, etc. all infringe on his rights.
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    2001400ex said:

HHusky said:

How so?
    Depends on who you ask and your definition of "shall not be infringed". But to start, try buying a fully automatic weapon and tell me if your rights are infringed. If you go by sledogs definition, then background checks, 3 day waiting period, etc. all infringe on his rights.
    You are correct for once. They do infringe. Did they have ANY firearm purchase restrictions at the time of the birth of our nation?

Fuck no.

I.D. to show you are the person that's supposed to be voting is a huge infringement in your mind but ID ffees, taxes, waiting periods, training, background checks and all you communist propose isn't. Odd you would think you want people voting that aren't supposed to.
  • Options
    89ute89ute Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,453
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I would totally conceal/carry but I have obstacles with my running outfits going to and from work