Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

The Riddle of the Gun - Great piece by Sam Harris

Comments

• Options
    HHuskyHHusky Member Posts: 19,196
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Sledog said:

HHusky said:

Sledog said:

jecornel said:

Well, essentially he is arguing that gun free zones are bullshit and schools need to arm themselves with people properly trained to handle a fire arm.

I'm not sure what article you read.

DR, but if that's true it's what I want. Turn soft targets into hard targets and the shooters taste their own lead. Fairly strong deterrent in my mind.

And for the "they want to die anyway" argument, fine. But they're not taking 20+ with them if the biology teacher caps their ass after firing 3 shots.

The Walmart shooter had 20 fucking minutes to kill. Shorten that time frame, save lives.
    These sheeple can't understand fighting back. They are incapable of taking care of themselves. They rely on others with balls big enough to protect them. Sheepdogs to protect them from the wolves. They'd hide with the women and children. They're tough like that.
    Yeah you won't see MallCop wandering the grocery store without a drawn pistol.
    You won't see me wandering anywhere without a gun. Why do I carry a gun everywhere? Because I can! I'm not paranoid, I have a gun. I don't carry it to force my will upon others. I carry it so others can't force their will upon me and mine.
    Okay Captain Queeg. We got the picture.
  • Options
    SledogSledog Member Posts: 30,849
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    HHusky said:

Sledog said:

HHusky said:

Sledog said:

jecornel said:

Well, essentially he is arguing that gun free zones are bullshit and schools need to arm themselves with people properly trained to handle a fire arm.

DR, but if that's true it's what I want. Turn soft targets into hard targets and the shooters taste their own lead. Fairly strong deterrent in my mind.

And for the "they want to die anyway" argument, fine. But they're not taking 20+ with them if the biology teacher caps their ass after firing 3 shots.

The Walmart shooter had 20 fucking minutes to kill. Shorten that time frame, save lives.
    These sheeple can't understand fighting back. They are incapable of taking care of themselves. They rely on others with balls big enough to protect them. Sheepdogs to protect them from the wolves. They'd hide with the women and children. They're tough like that.
    You won't see me wandering anywhere without a gun. Why do I carry a gun everywhere? Because I can! I'm not paranoid, I have a gun. I don't carry it to force my will upon others. I carry it so others can't force their will upon me and mine.
    Feel free to cower in a fucking corner helplessly while they murder your family in front of you. That's your choice.
  • Options
    Sledog said:

HHusky said:

Sledog said:

HHusky said:

Sledog said:

jecornel said:

Feel free to cower in a fucking corner helplessly while they murder your family in front of you. That's your choice.
    You must be fun to shop with.
  • Options
    HHusky said:

Sledog said:

HHusky said:

Sledog said:

HHusky said:

Sledog said:

jecornel said:

You wouldn't like it as I don't hit the cosmetics isle.
  • Options
    Sledog said:

HHusky said:

Sledog said:

HHusky said:

Sledog said:

HHusky said:

Sledog said:

jecornel said:

You wouldn't like it as I don't hit the cosmetics isle.
    It shows.
  • Options
    YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,961
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited August 2019
    Sledog said:

HHusky said:

Sledog said:

HHusky said:

Sledog said:

jecornel said:

All bull shitting around, what are the odds that any of us will ever be out somewhere in public and having the piece will save ours or a family member's life? Unless you're someone who spends a lot of time in higher risk areas, you're far more likely to die from any manner of other shit, than you are being "the good guy with a gun" hero.

I love my gun. I don't think it will ever get used most likely in my life other that against beer cans and watermelons.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Swaye said:

Sledog said:

HHusky said:

Sledog said:

HHusky said:

Sledog said:

jecornel said:

All bull shitting around, what are the odds that any of us will ever be out somewhere in public and having the piece will save ours or a family member's life? Unless you're someone who spends a lot of time in higher risk areas, you're far more likely to die from any manner of other shit, than you are being "the good guy with a gun" hero.

I love my gun. I don't think it will ever get used most likely in my life other that against beer cans and watermelons.
    I tend to agree that the odds are very highly against me ever having to use a gun outside of my home (home invasion/burglary scenario). And hell, they are quite small even in an in home scenario.

That said, I am from the school of thinking that I would rather have it and not need it, than the reverse. I was first licensed to carry a concealed handgun in Texas 25 years ago. Was later licensed in WA, FL, TX again, and finally VA. I spent 7 years unable to get a license in CA and MD (thanks Navy). In my 18 years of carrying concealed I have never had to use a gun, or really even be close to having to use it. I am thankful for that. I don't want to have to shoot anyone, even Brownsox. But I'd hate to get shot even more. So I will keep carrying.

And I don't have a problem with people carrying per say, but it's simply just an aspect of gun culture in America that I've always found so silly. People obsess over all this what-if / hypothetical bull shit- e.g., what happens if I run into a guy high on PCP and I only have 9mm when I really needed 10mm. But then they'll go ride motor cycles or get fat and die of heart disease. Life is all about calculated risk and there's shit to worry about and stuff that's a waste of time.
  • Options
    GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,481
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    Swaye said:

Sledog said:

HHusky said:

Sledog said:

HHusky said:

Sledog said:

jecornel said:

I tend to agree that the odds are very highly against me ever having to use a gun outside of my home (home invasion/burglary scenario). And hell, they are quite small even in an in home scenario.

That said, I am from the school of thinking that I would rather have it and not need it, than the reverse. I was first licensed to carry a concealed handgun in Texas 25 years ago. Was later licensed in WA, FL, TX again, and finally VA. I spent 7 years unable to get a license in CA and MD (thanks Navy). In my 18 years of carrying concealed I have never had to use a gun, or really even be close to having to use it. I am thankful for that. I don't want to have to shoot anyone, even Brownsox. But I'd hate to get shot even more. So I will keep carrying.

I've had a CPL for 15 years or so. In the area where I work, the number of vagrants/addicts around has increased over the years and I now carry regularly. I've had a few unsettling run-ins but nothing close to drawing.
  • Options
    edited August 2019

Sledog said:

HHusky said:

Sledog said:

HHusky said:

Sledog said:

jecornel said:

True but that doesn't mean it won't or can't happen. I don't plan for the best scenario. Most victims say "I thought something like this would never happen to me". Except gang members they know it's coming.

It 's like life insurance. Only handier.

Odd you said that I just saw this: This guys mom packs always and left it at home before they went to WalMart that day......

https://dailycaller.com/2019/08/06/el-paso-shooting-chris-cuomo-gun-grandma/?
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Sledog said:

Sledog said:

HHusky said:

Sledog said:

HHusky said:

Sledog said:

jecornel said:

True but that doesn't mean it won't or can't happen. I don't plan for the best scenario. Most victims say "I thought something like this would never happen to me". Except gang members they know it's coming.

Right, but I don't want to spend my life worrying about 1 in million stuff. I am more concerned about car accidents and my kids getting sick than hypotheticals where a gun will save my life. I've got the shot barrel 12'er for possible civil disorder in Seattle post earthquake, camping in the woods near meth heads, home invasion, etc. Beyond that I'm never in a scenario worth worrying about.
  • Options

Sledog said:

Sledog said:

HHusky said:

Sledog said:

HHusky said:

Sledog said:

jecornel said:

Right, but I don't want to spend my life worrying about 1 in million stuff. I am more concerned about car accidents and my kids getting sick than hypotheticals where a gun will save my life. I've got the shot barrel 12'er for possible civil disorder in Seattle post earthquake, camping in the woods near meth heads, home invasion, etc. Beyond that I'm never in a scenario worth worrying about.
    To each his own. It's your decision. A lot of people don't like me because I put them in prison. Many cartel people included.
  • Options
    Sledog said:

Sledog said:

Sledog said:

HHusky said:

Sledog said:

HHusky said:

Sledog said:

jecornel said:

To each his own. It's your decision. A lot of people don't like me because I put them in prison. Many cartel people included.
    You’re too modest. Most people would dislike you.
  • Options
    UW_Doog_BotUW_Doog_Bot Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 14,261
    Swaye's Wigwam

Sledog said:

Sledog said:

HHusky said:

Sledog said:

HHusky said:

Sledog said:

jecornel said:

Following this line of reasoning then why are people's 2nd amendment rights even up or open for discussion? The odds of you becoming a homicide by gun statistic are infinitely smaller than something as common as a drunk driver killing someone.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Sledog said:

Sledog said:

Sledog said:

HHusky said:

Sledog said:

HHusky said:

Sledog said:

jecornel said:

And I can't speak to your life situation. Very different than mine I suspect. I have a close fren who is a county prosecutor in NH who puts away a lot of bad hombres. He packs and I get it.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

Sledog said:

Sledog said:

HHusky said:

Sledog said:

HHusky said:

Sledog said:

jecornel said:

Following this line of reasoning then why are people's 2nd amendment rights even up or open for discussion? The odds of you becoming a homicide by gun statistic are infinitely smaller than something as common as a drunk driver killing someone.
    I agree. Because I'm not thinking of killing myself and I'm not in a gang or other criminal activity, the odds of me being affected by gun violence are minuscule. It's not going to affect me whether or not AR's have 10 round or 30 round mags. I don't care. I do care about the fact that over 50% of drivers in Seattle are not competent to operate a motor vehicle and yet they are allowed to do so.
  • Options
    UW_Doog_BotUW_Doog_Bot Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 14,261
    Swaye's Wigwam

Sledog said:

Sledog said:

HHusky said:

Sledog said:

HHusky said:

Sledog said:

jecornel said:

I agree. Because I'm not thinking of killing myself and I'm not in a gang or other criminal activity, the odds of me being affected by gun violence are minuscule. It's not going to affect me whether or not AR's have 10 round or 30 round mags. I don't care. I do care about the fact that over 50% of drivers in Seattle are not competent to operate a motor vehicle and yet they are allowed to do so.
    Because driving is a right! oh...
  • Options
    Swaye said:

Sledog said:

HHusky said:

Sledog said:

HHusky said:

Sledog said:

jecornel said:

Most of us shouldn’t carry. I’m not ever going to put in the time to know what I’m doing and I know full well that my odds of being struck by lightning are greater than the odds a gun would ever be useful to me. But despite all this, I wouldn’t have any difficulty buying a gun, and that’s a large part of the problem.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited August 2019

Sledog said:

Sledog said:

HHusky said:

Sledog said:

HHusky said:

Sledog said:

jecornel said:

Because driving is a right! oh...
    The guiding principle should always be your rights end when then infringe upon another humans. And @Sledog 's or @Swaye 's nut jerb arsenals don't impact my life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. Hell, I'd like to go shoot beer cans with 'em some Tim. But my rights are being severely impacted by the City of Seattle letting bad humans shit in public a half mile from my house. Doesn't make much sense does it?