Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

The Riddle of the Gun - Great piece by Sam Harris

YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,961
First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
Swaye's Wigwam
Don't agree with every argument here, but this is a worthwhile (TL;DR) piece by Sam Harris.

https://samharris.org/the-riddle-of-the-gun/

Comments

• Options
    jecorneljecornel Member Posts: 9,599
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Standard Supporter
    I would love to see a NY Times journalist debate Sam.

Excellent article.
  • Options
    SledogSledog Member Posts: 30,849
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Wrong on many points. There is some reasonable logic but not that much. If he's intelligent and can't figure out how an organization composed of 6 million people can't be effective in advocating for a political cause? It's not the gun industry they are protecting it is the protection of constitutional rights. Rights the left hates and wants removed. The ACLU won't touch anything 2A they hate the 2nd.
  • Options
    Standard Supporter
    Well, essentially he is arguing that gun free zones are bullshit and schools need to arm themselves with people properly trained to handle a fire arm.

I'm not sure what article you read.
  • Options
    GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,481
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
  • Options
    GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,481
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    Some of the questions he answers here, w,jw
    https://samharris.org/faq-on-violence/
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    jecornel said:

Well, essentially he is arguing that gun free zones are bullshit and schools need to arm themselves with people properly trained to handle a fire arm.

The one posted. We have differing knowledge bases.

"I share their outrage over the political influence of the National Rifle Association"
    "Ordinary altercations can become needlessly deadly in the presence of a weapon."

He spits out a few non factual items. He does make valid points as well. He's better than most but still repeats a few talking points as fact.
  • Options
    Standard Supporter
  • Options
    YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,961
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Sledog said:
    He has some funny videos.
  • Options
    TurdBomberTurdBomber Member Posts: 19,752
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    jecornel said:

DR, but if that's true it's what I want. Turn soft targets into hard targets and the shooters taste their own lead. Fairly strong deterrent in my mind.

And for the "they want to die anyway" argument, fine. But they're not taking 20+ with them if the biology teacher caps their ass after firing 3 shots.

The Walmart shooter had 20 fucking minutes to kill. Shorten that time frame, save lives.
  • Options
    Standard Supporter

jecornel said:

DR, but if that's true it's what I want. Turn soft targets into hard targets and the shooters taste their own lead. Fairly strong deterrent in my mind.

And for the "they want to die anyway" argument, fine. But they're not taking 20+ with them if the biology teacher caps their ass after firing 3 shots.

The Walmart shooter had 20 fucking minutes to kill. Shorten that time frame, save lives.
    Sam Harris owns several guns and trains regularly. He references the carnage people have done with a knife and you would rather have a gun in your hand facing someone wielding a knife.

He points out if someone breaks into your home do you think the police will arrive in time? He would rather not find out. When seconds can matter he would rather defend himself.

References any legislation is pointless and only limits good people from having guns as bad people will get them anyway by any means.

• Options
    jecornel said:

jecornel said:

Sam Harris owns several guns and trains regularly. He references the carnage people have done with a knife and you would rather have a gun in your hand facing someone wielding a knife.

He points out if someone breaks into your home do you think the police will arrive in time? He would rather not find out. When seconds can matter he would rather defend himself.

References any legislation is pointless and only limits good people from having guns as bad people will get them anyway by any means.

"Bad guys" is too simplistic. I'd support most recommendations to keep guns out of the hands of crazy people.

Every American is born with the right to bear arms. But crazy Americans? That's where I'd start drawing lines.
  • Options
    HHuskyHHusky Member Posts: 19,196

jecornel said:

jecornel said:

Every American is born with the right to bear arms. But crazy Americans? That's where I'd start drawing lines.
    Your quarrel is with Sled.
  • Options
    HHusky said:

jecornel said:

jecornel said:

And you're a fag. So what?
  • Options

HHusky said:

jecornel said:

jecornel said:

And you're a fag. So what?
    You say it like it's a bad thing.
  • Options

jecornel said:

These sheeple can't understand fighting back. They are incapable of taking care of themselves. They rely on others with balls big enough to protect them. Sheepdogs to protect them from the wolves. They'd hide with the women and children. They're tough like that.
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    HHusky said:

jecornel said:

jecornel said:

Crazy purple shouldn't get guns. I agree completely. If your taking any pyschotropic drug you should be on a list. HTH
  • Options
    Sledog said:

jecornel said:

These sheeple can't understand fighting back. They are incapable of taking care of themselves. They rely on others with balls big enough to protect them. Sheepdogs to protect them from the wolves. They'd hide with the women and children. They're tough like that.
    Yeah you won't see MallCop wandering the grocery store without a drawn pistol.
  • Options
    HHusky said:

Sledog said:

jecornel said:

Yeah you won't see MallCop wandering the grocery store without a drawn pistol.
    You won't see me wandering anywhere without a gun. Why do I carry a gun everywhere? Because I can! I'm not paranoid, I have a gun. I don't carry it to force my will upon others. I carry it so others can't force their will upon me and mine.
  • Options
    edited August 2019

MallCop: "Crazy purple shouldn't get guns. I agree completely. If your taking any pyschotropic drug you should be on a list. HTH"

Yeah, you just don't want anyone drawing any "unfair" conclusions about the sanity of a fucking nut job who believes the Seth Rich conspiracy, for example.