Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Book recommendations?

Comments

• Options
    YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,948
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
  • Options
    MeekMeek Member Posts: 7,031
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment

Nonfiction book suggestions appreciated. Been back reading/listening lately. Some I've read any enjoyed lately:

• Boys in the Boat
    • The Big Short
    • Devil in the White City
    • Dead Wake
    • The Guns of August
    • Friday Night Lights

I thank the bored's intelligencia for their services.
    Boys in the Boat...LOL at taking a recommendation from the alt right.

The kind of book you should be reading is this gem:

• Options
    Dennis_DeYoungDennis_DeYoung Member Posts: 14,754

At least put the title in English you fuckhead. No wonder he lost.
  • Options
    spudenspuden Member Posts: 353
    I also liked Stephen King’s 11/22/63. Good read and not his normal horror genre. More of a historical fiction book with the idea being how would the world be if someone could go back in time and stop Lee Harvey Oswald from assassinating Kennedy.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    This is one that was recommended to me by a UW poly sci prof that I have on my radar...

• Options
    guntloveguntlove Member Posts: 784
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    @GrundleStiltzkin.... "I, Fatty" skews much more towards fiction, but it's based on a historical figure and it's a hell of a read. It's written by Jerry Stahl who penned Permanent Midnight and some other good chit.

gunt.
  • Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,861
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    I actually just read two of the Beartown books by Fredrik Backman. I enjoyed them. Beartown and Us Against Them; fags, hooligans, hockey, lots of drinking and fighting, the first six inches are consensual.....pretty decent.

Mrs. Throbber just tossed me a Man Called Ove by Backman but I don't think I've gone gay enough to start that one yet.

• Options
    BearsWiin said:

spuden said:

Matterhorn by Karl Marlantes

Fantastic book about the Vietnam War as seen through the lens of a Marine company in the bush in the late 1960s. Explores the themes of brotherhood, humanity, race relations, leadership and power. This is a historical fiction novel that is one of the best I’ve read. Top 5 book ever for me, and far above any other Vietnam book I’ve read. A little bit similar to Band of Brothers HBO series, but better in my opinion. The battle descriptions are horrific and captivating, but the bonds between Marines is reminiscent of team sports and the trust of others required to succeed. The caveat being, in this situation kids die. It’s serious and yet very relatable.

Good book. Did a great job of letting the reader understand what it was like to slog through the jungle.

People forget that Cold Mountain was a great book because of the mediocre Jude Law/Nicole Kidman movie they made out of it

Currently rereading the Dune series. Magnificent, sprawling, probably the best science fiction ever written
    People forget Nicole Kidman showed her perky nips....because, well, it was a Cold Mountain.

I can't quite get out of my head that Tom Cruise got inside that - but give her credit for going full-frontal in pretty much everything she appears in.

• Options
    MeekMeek Member Posts: 7,031

BearsWiin said:

spuden said:

Matterhorn by Karl Marlantes

Fantastic book about the Vietnam War as seen through the lens of a Marine company in the bush in the late 1960s. Explores the themes of brotherhood, humanity, race relations, leadership and power. This is a historical fiction novel that is one of the best I’ve read. Top 5 book ever for me, and far above any other Vietnam book I’ve read. A little bit similar to Band of Brothers HBO series, but better in my opinion. The battle descriptions are horrific and captivating, but the bonds between Marines is reminiscent of team sports and the trust of others required to succeed. The caveat being, in this situation kids die. It’s serious and yet very relatable.

Good book. Did a great job of letting the reader understand what it was like to slog through the jungle.

People forget that Cold Mountain was a great book because of the mediocre Jude Law/Nicole Kidman movie they made out of it

Currently rereading the Dune series. Magnificent, sprawling, probably the best science fiction ever written
    People forget Nicole Kidman showed her perky nips....because, well, it was a Cold Mountain.

I can't quite get out of my head that Tom Cruise got inside that - but give her credit for going full-frontal in pretty much everything she appears in.

by "that" I assume you mean the contract they signed to be seen together in public. No way he was doing what you would have done with her.
  • Options
    GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,481
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    @YellowSnow just finished the audio version of Retribution. Thank you. Kinda wished I'd read-read it, there was a lot to digest.
  • Options
    Standard Supporter

Also - “And a bottle of rum” is fucking incredible.

Thanks @Dennis_DeYoung , this is up next.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

@YellowSnow just finished the audio version of Retribution. Thank you. Kinda wished I'd read-read it, there was a lot to digest.

Iwo Jima, Philippines, and Okinawa were a total waste of life with the benefit of Captain Hind-site. 2 things won the war really: (1) our subs sunk their entire merchant fleet (something the vaunted Cherman U-Boots could never do to us) and the taking of the Marianas put Japan's cities in easy range of Boeing.
  • Options
    Standard Supporter

Iwo Jima, Philippines, and Okinawa were a total waste of life with the benefit of Captain Hind-site. 2 things won the war really: (1) our subs sunk their entire merchant fleet (something the vaunted Cherman U-Boots could never do to us) and the taking of the Marianas put Japan's cities in easy range of Boeing.
    Some trivia that surprised me: $2 billion for Manhattan Project, $4 billion for Tokyo bombing campaign, $30 billion for European bombing campaign.

The scale of men and material mobilization in under 4 years always astounds me. I never heard the bit out 400 B-29s and 1500 carrier planes flying over the USS Missouri after the surrender documents were signed.

While I'd read a little about it before, the geopolitical finagling between the West and Mao and Chiang Kai Shek was very interesting.

Anyhow, thanks again.
  • Options
    Standard Supporter

Thanks @Dennis_DeYoung , this is up next.
    "... and so Vernon, by luck or by instinct, was well ahead of the movement towards citrus."

HCH is everywhere.
  • Options
    dirtysouwfdawgdirtysouwfdawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 11,929
    5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes First Anniversary
    Swaye's Wigwam

Anything by Michael Lewis or Timothy Egan.

Thinking you intended to specifically reference this one...

• Options
    edited July 2019

Anything by Michael Lewis or Timothy Egan.

Thinking you intended to specifically reference this one...

Most recently, it was this one. Pretty interesting stuff on the micks.

The Big Burn was outstanding too.

I've read most all of Michael Lewis' books. His most recent one is about the ripple effect of the Trump election with regard to government agencies. Someday I'll type the last paragraph on the Tug. It's chilling with regard to politics and the self-inflicted unintended consequences we sometimes inflict on ourselves, hoping to eradicate our perceived woes.

I"m trying to get interested in @Doog_de_Jour 's Ghengis Khan book but haven't hit my stride yet.

• Options
    Standard Supporter

Very entertaining, thank you @Dennis_DeYoung
  • Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 60,066
    Founders Club

@Dennis_DeYoung I'm about 1/3 of the way through this book. I wouldn't call it fucking incredible, but it's really good. I will never look at a bottle of Captain Morgan Loco Nut the same way again.
  • Options
    Standard Supporter

@Dennis_DeYoung I'm about 1/3 of the way through this book. I wouldn't call it fucking incredible, but it's really good. I will never look at a bottle of Captain Morgan Loco Nut the same way again.
    Agree, fell short of chincredible for me. I did enjoy rum as a device to tell other stories. Fun read.