Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Book recommendations?

Comments

• Options
    GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,481
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    This one was pretty good. A little WW2 incident that most probably never heard of.

Second best of Zuckoff ouvre. I didn't know the movie had been based on a book. Good chit.

• Options
    YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,973
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam

Anything by Michael Lewis or Timothy Egan.

Don't know why it took me so long to get to, but just finished The Blind Side. Outstanding. I have no problem admitting I really liked the movie #NoHomo 75k. The book, of course, is must different. Probably second only to Friday Night Lights as the best sports book I've read.
    Grundle this is the second best sports book I've ever read (after the obvious choice)...

• Options
    Standard Supporter

Don't know why it took me so long to get to, but just finished The Blind Side. Outstanding. I have no problem admitting I really liked the movie #NoHomo 75k. The book, of course, is must different. Probably second only to Friday Night Lights as the best sports book I've read.
    Grundle this is the second best sports book I've ever read (after the obvious choice)...

Yeah, I should have qualified that as "football book." Boys in the Boat was amazing.

• Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,893
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

Junction Boys better.

The Bear was a beast.

• Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,496
    Swaye's Wigwam

Junction Boys better.

The Bear was a beast.

People forget that Jim Owens learned at the knee of the Bear as an assistant on that team. It's what changed West Coast football into a rugged Rose Bowl winning team and conference. The end of single platoon doomed this approach but coaches did all sorts of stupid stuff like no water for years after.

• Options

Junction Boys better.

The Bear was a beast.

People forget that Jim Owens learned at the knee of the Bear as an assistant on that team. It's what changed West Coast football into a rugged Rose Bowl winning team and conference. The end of single platoon doomed this approach but coaches did all sorts of stupid stuff like no water for years after.

The Throbber remembers taking salt tablets like that was a good thing. Big ass tubs of salt pills laying around the locker room.

• Options
    Pitchfork51Pitchfork51 Member Posts: 26,602
    Malazan book of the fallen
  • Options
    IPukeOregonGrellowIPukeOregonGrellow Member Posts: 2,183
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment

Nobody has more of an eye for the fucked up than Chuck Palahniuk, who's quickly passing Ken Kesey as the most accomplished Quook author.

81% of this message bored would be well served by reading this book, even though it's the least funny book about funny people ever.

• Options
    All Sherman Alexie’s books are solid.

The last one about his fractured relationship with his mom made The Throbber cry. Like a bitch.

He’s probably about off his self imposed #metoo exile.

• Options
    Standard Supporter

Have you read this @PurpleThrobber yet? Got it for my dad last year...

That looks chinteresting...
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

There are too many good books to read. I used to be a voracious reader and then tech, hi fi and kids...

Maybe I should be like you and just starting listening to them in the car.
  • Options

There are too many good books to read. I used to be a voracious reader and then tech, hi fi and kids...

Wallace, ID is a funny little town if you're ever driving I-90. For decades it was the only remaining stop light on I-90 between Seattle and Boston. Up until about the mid-90's, brothels still openly operated with relatively immunity to prosecution. Uber wealthy guy named Harry Magnuson headquartered in Wallace - at one time the largest private land owner in the country.

There's a ski resort (Silver Mountain) about 5 miles down the road in Kellogg, ID. If one were so inclined, one would purchase either a condo or home there. Still pretty affordable and a kick ass ski hill with solid snow. Gondola runs straight from the parking lot on the freeway up to the lodge at the top of the hill. Hasn't been Aspened/Sun Valley'd yet.
  • Options
    HHuskyHHusky Member Posts: 19,201
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
  • Options
    Standard Supporter

Wallace, ID is a funny little town if you're ever driving I-90. For decades it was the only remaining stop light on I-90 between Seattle and Boston. Up until about the mid-90's, brothels still openly operated with relatively immunity to prosecution. Uber wealthy guy named Harry Magnuson headquartered in Wallace - at one time the largest private land owner in the country.

There's a ski resort (Silver Mountain) about 5 miles down the road in Kellogg, ID. If one were so inclined, one would purchase either a condo or home there. Still pretty affordable and a kick ass ski hill with solid snow. Gondola runs straight from the parking lot on the freeway up to the lodge at the top of the hill. Hasn't been Aspened/Sun Valley'd yet.
    You can get cancer from tailings and buy a truck from Dave Smith all on one trip.
    Now you tell me.
  • Options

You can get cancer from tailings and buy a truck from Dave Smith all on one trip.
    Correctomundo.

That may explain HondoFS lead poisoning/lack of brain development. Downwinder to the Spokane Valley.

• Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

Correctomundo.

That may explain HondoFS lead poisoning/lack of brain development. Downwinder to the Spokane Valley.

I used to fly fish a bit on the Clark Fork upstream of Boner, MT but downstream of Anaconda cuntry. My head ain't been right ever since.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

There's a ski resort (Silver Mountain) about 5 miles down the road in Kellogg, ID. If one were so inclined, one would purchase either a condo or home there. Still pretty affordable and a kick ass ski hill with solid snow. Gondola runs straight from the parking lot on the freeway up to the lodge at the top of the hill. Hasn't been Aspened/Sun Valley'd Park City'd yet.
    FREE PUB