Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Book recommendations?

Comments

• Options
    GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,481
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    Good shit, keep them coming.
  • Options
    Standard Supporter

Good call on “Retribution” @YellowSnow.

One of my most recent reads...

Dammit, no audiobook that I can find. Pretty sure this has been cited by our! own @DanCarlinDwag
  • Options
    Doog_de_JourDoog_de_Jour Member Posts: 7,958
    Standard Supporter
    edited July 2019

Good call on “Retribution” @YellowSnow.

One of my most recent reads...

Dammit, no audiobook that I can find. Pretty sure this has been cited by our! own @DanCarlinDwag
    What? It should be on Audible:

https://www.amazon.com/Genghis-Khan-Making-Modern-World/dp/B0038NLWQ2/ref=nodl_

Edit: If your public library system has Overdrive it’s on there too in audiobook format.
  • Options
    BearsWiinBearsWiin Member Posts: 4,947
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment

BearsWiin said:

BearsWiin said:

The Sleepwalkers

Too many "Why did WWI happen" books really miss the fucking poont; Clark talks about how the Balkan Wars flipped the client state structure in the Balkans and set the stage

Great Grandpappy @BearsWiin and Co really cocked that whole thing up with their carte Blanche.
    Conrad was a first class SOB

Came across great grandpappy's ceremonial M1861 officer's sabre while rooting through storage last week looking for rafting equipment for our upcoming trip to Yosemite
    Conrad is making a come back. My sister’s son is a Conrad and there are 2 in our preschool.

Imagine going to Yosemite in the summer. You’re nuts bruh.
    Summer is the time you can raft on the Merced River through the valley floor. We have two rooms at Yosemite Lodge for several days. Hitting Glacier Point for the first time in several years
  • Options
    Standard Supporter
    I'll toss a few out, but I'm guessing the learned here have already consumed.

Love this book, tempted to re-read

I've mentioned several tims here. Good for historical context on Russian meddling.

Read the book, burn the movie.

• Options
    Doog_de_JourDoog_de_Jour Member Posts: 7,958
    Standard Supporter
    I’m making my way through Edmund Morris’ Teddy Roosevelt books now. Excellent.

• Options
    SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,062
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
  • Options
    Dennis_DeYoungDennis_DeYoung Member Posts: 14,754
    The best book to understand life on earth is This View of Life by David Sloan Wilson.
  • Options
    Dennis_DeYoungDennis_DeYoung Member Posts: 14,754
    Also - “And a bottle of rum” is fucking incredible.
  • Options
    YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,901
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam

I’m making my way through Edmund Morris’ Teddy Roosevelt books now. Excellent.

I 2nd T Rex. Great read.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

I'll toss a few out, but I'm guessing the learned here have already consumed.

Love this book, tempted to re-read

I've mentioned several tims here. Good for historical context on Russian meddling.

Read the book, burn the movie.

Call me Ishmael.
  • Options
    StLouisDawgStLouisDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 486
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Founders Club

Have you explored the Derek Johnson canon?

Must have been a great pick up line back in the day. Coming off the dance floor at fishouse charlie’s, dressed in dark, brooding colors, slathered in Drakar Noir and drinking Cuba Libres. You look at your target, glance slightly at your package and utter your best to start the chase.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

Also - “And a bottle of rum” is fucking incredible.

Yeah I know you’ve mentioned this before @Dennis_DeYoung . I need to pick this up. I just finished off my first half gallon of Appleton Estate and am all in on the funky Kingston rum.
  • Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 59,983
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
  • Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 59,983
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club

Have you explored the Derek Johnson canon?

Must have been a great pick up line back in the day. Coming off the dance floor at fishouse charlie’s, dressed in dark, brooding colors, slathered in Drakar Noir and drinking Cuba Libres. You look at your target, glance slightly at your package and utter your best to start the chase.
    Wow, that's me to a T. Except I would be marinated in Drakkar Noir as opposed to slathered.

• Options
    BearsWiinBearsWiin Member Posts: 4,947
    spuden said:

Matterhorn by Karl Marlantes

Fantastic book about the Vietnam War as seen through the lens of a Marine company in the bush in the late 1960s. Explores the themes of brotherhood, humanity, race relations, leadership and power. This is a historical fiction novel that is one of the best I’ve read. Top 5 book ever for me, and far above any other Vietnam book I’ve read. A little bit similar to Band of Brothers HBO series, but better in my opinion. The battle descriptions are horrific and captivating, but the bonds between Marines is reminiscent of team sports and the trust of others required to succeed. The caveat being, in this situation kids die. It’s serious and yet very relatable.

Good book. Did a great job of letting the reader understand what it was like to slog through the jungle.

People forget that Cold Mountain was a great book because of the mediocre Jude Law/Nicole Kidman movie they made out of it

Currently rereading the Dune series. Magnificent, sprawling, probably the best science fiction ever written