Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Sam Presti appreciation thread

Comments

• Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    ntxduck said:

Tequilla said:

The thing with most of those picks is they will be out of the lottery ... which means they may lead to rotation players instead of Stars

Only way they get stars is to bottom out and win the lottery ... Westbrook swapped w CP3 is the direction that I expect

How will okc bottoming out affect the picks they are getting from the clippers??

They still have their own picks
  • Options
    ntxduckntxduck Member Posts: 5,515
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment
    dnc said:

ntxduck said:

Tequilla said:

The thing with most of those picks is they will be out of the lottery ... which means they may lead to rotation players instead of Stars

Only way they get stars is to bottom out and win the lottery ... Westbrook swapped w CP3 is the direction that I expect

How will okc bottoming out affect the picks they are getting from the clippers??

Teq fs was referencing the clippers picks though.
  • Options
    AtomicDawgAtomicDawg Member Posts: 6,979
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes
    GDS said:

OKC just acquired another first rounder for Grant. Just a crazy amount of draft capital coming down the pipe for them.

This trade was actually a shit trade for them. Grant is a good role player on a decent contract. That pick gets lower by sending him to Denver most likely. The chance they get someone as good as grant with this pick is slim to none. This was the owner saying save me money and I don't care who you trade.
  • Options
    ntxduck said:

dnc said:

ntxduck said:

Tequilla said:

I didn't read it that way. He said they aren't getting stars with the OKC picks, then said the only way to get stars is to bottom out.

It could have been stated more clearly but I support Teq brevity.
  • Options
    ntxduckntxduck Member Posts: 5,515
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment
    dnc said:

ntxduck said:

dnc said:

ntxduck said:

Tequilla said:

I didn't read it that way. He said they aren't getting stars with the OKC picks, then said the only way to get stars is to bottom out.

True!
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    ntxduck said:

Tequilla said:

Zero impact at all ... there’s a reason OKC pushes the picks from Houston so far down the road
  • Options
    dnc said:

ntxduck said:

dnc said:

ntxduck said:

Tequilla said:

Reading comprehension

The LAC picks will mostly be back half of the first round picks ... they are assets but really mediocre ones

OKC is betting on both the Clippers and Rockets bottoming out in 4-6 years ... if they do they will be in great shape

If they don’t, it’s largely a poo poo platter
  • Options
    allpurpleallgoldallpurpleallgold Member Posts: 8,771
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Tequilla said:

dnc said:

ntxduck said:

dnc said:

ntxduck said:

Tequilla said:

Reading comprehension

The LAC picks will mostly be back half of the first round picks ... they are assets but really mediocre ones

OKC is betting on both the Clippers and Rockets bottoming out in 4-6 years ... if they do they will be in great shape

If they don’t, it’s largely a poo poo platter
    Kawhi signed a 2 year contract with a player option for the third year. The first Clippers pick doesn’t come until 2022. You have no idea where those picks will be.
  • Options
    Kawhi likely isn’t going anywhere

He signed that length/term to coincide with PG13 and ensure that the Clippers continually made moves to stay competitive

Pay attention
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,304
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Lebron Kawhi and George are now in synch contract wise

• Options
    allpurpleallgoldallpurpleallgold Member Posts: 8,771
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Tequilla said:

He signed that length/term to coincide with PG13 and ensure that the Clippers continually made moves to stay competitive

Pay attention

Spurs fans thought he wasn’t going anywhere too.
  • Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,826
    Tequilla said:

Pay attention

I believe at 10 years in the league, the super max is way bigger too.

• Options
    FreeChavezFreeChavez Member Posts: 3,223
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment

Tequilla said:

Pay attention

I believe at 10 years in the league, the super max is way bigger too.

This is just smart business by Kawhi, and why anyone would think otherwise after his move from SA, to Toronto and now to the Clips has their head in the sand. He is able to sign a 4 year $197M and George can sign and 5 year around $240M when these deals expire. It wouldn't shock me in the least in two years if both george and kawhi have thought out taking less money(a la heat model) to bring in one or two more big players. By 2021-22 most of the roster will be clear of $ and easily molded to whatever they want it to be. And if they don't like the looks of what's happening they can clear out. Good business move by both
  • Options
    FreeChavezFreeChavez Member Posts: 3,223
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    dnc said:

ntxduck said:

dnc said:

ntxduck said:

Tequilla said:

IF this was baseball I could understand the whole process more clearly, because you have so many players on a roster and you're trying to add assets everywhere. In the NBA, the draft is watered down after the top 4-5 every year where statistics show you have around a 30% chances of drafting a star within the top 10 and that gets flushed even further as the draft goes down. Getting down to picks 15+(where most of the 1st rounders they have will be) and you're hoping you have a player who can stay on your roster past their rookie deal. They would have to not only bottom out, but get lucky in the lottery to be top 3 multiple times to obtain the stars that might compliment the role players they will be getting.

Long term, fine, someone could argue completely against the above, but also consider you just told your fan base that your team will not be, nor try to be competitive for the next 7 years. Please pay for all our tickets, but we'll be putting an abortion on the floor for the next 5 years and hope we can be competitive in year 6 or 7. Some may say, well the sixers. The new model of draft picks isn't going to allow for completely mailing in a season, or at least largely reduces your chances of gaining a top 3 pick as in previous years.

When OKC trades Paul, and likely Adams, they literally will have zero contracts worth a shit on the board after this year. Gallinari will be gone, the rest of the roster will be gutted. I believe they'd have around $20M on the books. George is the only good player to sign there and he wanted out in a year. Even with space, I'll believe "Max" guys signing in OKC when i see it.
  • Options

dnc said:

ntxduck said:

dnc said:

ntxduck said:

Tequilla said:

IF this was baseball I could understand the whole process more clearly, because you have so many players on a roster and you're trying to add assets everywhere. In the NBA, the draft is watered down after the top 4-5 every year where statistics show you have around a 30% chances of drafting a star within the top 10 and that gets flushed even further as the draft goes down. Getting down to picks 15+(where most of the 1st rounders they have will be) and you're hoping you have a player who can stay on your roster past their rookie deal. They would have to not only bottom out, but get lucky in the lottery to be top 3 multiple times to obtain the stars that might compliment the role players they will be getting.

Long term, fine, someone could argue completely against the above, but also consider you just told your fan base that your team will not be, nor try to be competitive for the next 7 years. Please pay for all our tickets, but we'll be putting an abortion on the floor for the next 5 years and hope we can be competitive in year 6 or 7. Some may say, well the sixers. The new model of draft picks isn't going to allow for completely mailing in a season, or at least largely reduces your chances of gaining a top 3 pick as in previous years.

When OKC trades Paul, and likely Adams, they literally will have zero contracts worth a shit on the board after this year. Gallinari will be gone, the rest of the roster will be gutted. I believe they'd have around $20M on the books. George is the only good player to sign there and he wanted out in a year. Even with space, I'll believe "Max" guys signing in OKC when i see it.
    The only thing I disagree with here is I think the general narrative that the picks will be worthless is short sighted. They *could* be worthless, but things change so incredibly fast in this league that the Clips could be out of the playoffs in three to four years. It's unlikely, but far from impossible. And they have enough picks accumulated that they'll always be a threat to move up.

All that being said, its' going to be a long time before OKC makes the playoffs again unless something really weird happens. I can't wait for their arena to start sitting empty.

FCBWARCG
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,304
    Swaye's Wigwam
    dnc said:

dnc said:

ntxduck said:

dnc said:

ntxduck said:

Tequilla said:

The only thing I disagree with here is I think the general narrative that the picks will be worthless is short sighted. They *could* be worthless, but things change so incredibly fast in this league that the Clips could be out of the playoffs in three to four years. It's unlikely, but far from impossible. And they have enough picks accumulated that they'll always be a threat to move up.

All that being said, its' going to be a long time before OKC makes the playoffs again unless something really weird happens. I can't wait for their arena to start sitting empty.

FCBWARCG
    If you can't handle the ups and downs of draft picks you might need a new hobby
  • Options
    NEsnake12NEsnake12 Member Posts: 3,791
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    The Raptors just won a natty without a lottery pick on their roster.

With this many 1st rounders, Thunder should get lucky with at least a couple of those late 1st picks unless they suck at evals
  • Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,826
    NEsnake12 said:

The Raptors just won a natty continent without a lottery pick on their roster.

With this many 1st rounders, Thunder should get lucky with at least a couple of those late 1st picks unless they suck at evals

Crispy
  • Options
    GDSGDS Member Posts: 1,470
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    NEsnake12 said:

The Raptors just won a natty without a lottery pick on their roster.

Who knows if they will be late first rounders in 4-6 years. 4 years ago the top three teams in the East were Atlanta, Cleveland and Chicago. Also they ain't actually using 15 first round picks over the next 7 years. Some of those will get packaged to either move up or trade for other young players. At least they have assets instead of just letting stars walk for nothing.