Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Sam Presti appreciation thread

13»

Comments

• Options
    KaepskneeKaepsknee Member Posts: 14,750
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    dnc said:

dnc said:

ntxduck said:

dnc said:

ntxduck said:

Tequilla said:

The thing with most of those picks is they will be out of the lottery ... which means they may lead to rotation players instead of Stars

Only way they get stars is to bottom out and win the lottery ... Westbrook swapped w CP3 is the direction that I expect

How will okc bottoming out affect the picks they are getting from the clippers??

They still have their own picks
    Teq fs was referencing the clippers picks though.
    I didn't read it that way. He said they aren't getting stars with the OKC picks, then said the only way to get stars is to bottom out.

It could have been stated more clearly but I support Teq brevity.
    IF this was baseball I could understand the whole process more clearly, because you have so many players on a roster and you're trying to add assets everywhere. In the NBA, the draft is watered down after the top 4-5 every year where statistics show you have around a 30% chances of drafting a star within the top 10 and that gets flushed even further as the draft goes down. Getting down to picks 15+(where most of the 1st rounders they have will be) and you're hoping you have a player who can stay on your roster past their rookie deal. They would have to not only bottom out, but get lucky in the lottery to be top 3 multiple times to obtain the stars that might compliment the role players they will be getting.

Long term, fine, someone could argue completely against the above, but also consider you just told your fan base that your team will not be, nor try to be competitive for the next 7 years. Please pay for all our tickets, but we'll be putting an abortion on the floor for the next 5 years and hope we can be competitive in year 6 or 7. Some may say, well the sixers. The new model of draft picks isn't going to allow for completely mailing in a season, or at least largely reduces your chances of gaining a top 3 pick as in previous years.

When OKC trades Paul, and likely Adams, they literally will have zero contracts worth a shit on the board after this year. Gallinari will be gone, the rest of the roster will be gutted. I believe they'd have around $20M on the books. George is the only good player to sign there and he wanted out in a year. Even with space, I'll believe "Max" guys signing in OKC when i see it.
    The only thing I disagree with here is I think the general narrative that the picks will be worthless is short sighted. They *could* be worthless, but things change so incredibly fast in this league that the Clips could be out of the playoffs in three to four years. It's unlikely, but far from impossible. And they have enough picks accumulated that they'll always be a threat to move up.

All that being said, its' going to be a long time before OKC makes the playoffs again unless something really weird happens. I can't wait for their arena to start sitting empty.

FCBWARCG
    Most of those picks are just trade bait. They’ll use them To take on some expiring contracts at the deadline, trade up in the draft, and then go to work in the next off-season to leverage those picks and expiring contracts to get 2nd level serviceable players. Who knows, OKC may be one of the few teams that could take on multiple top shelf superstar contracts that just want to win another ring in a couple of years. Stranger things have happened.
  • Options
    FreeChavezFreeChavez Member Posts: 3,223
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    NEsnake12 said:

The Raptors just won a natty without a lottery pick on their roster.

With this many 1st rounders, Thunder should get lucky with at least a couple of those late 1st picks unless they suck at evals

Sorry but that’s korky. Draft picks matter, but if you add the one guy in a draft outside the top 3 who hit it; on top of him being beyond unreal, and mix him into the fuckfest that is the eastern conference, then hurt two of the three best players of the other team then the analogy works. If Durrant is healthy the whole Kawai love fest is a non story.

Okc has missed on paying harden and Durant and just had to abort the Westbrook contract(the one guy they paid). The whole okc “knows what they are doing” is beyond old. Maybe keep/pay harden, then Durant stays and Westbrook is the tits.

So if they have picks, maybe they could draft 3 nba mvps, trade one, not pay the other, then overpay for their fuckup and then trade out of that for the title......wait.....
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,814
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    Instead of appreciating Presti it could easily argue that OKC has been incompetently run
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Tequilla said:

Instead of appreciating Presti it could easily argue that OKC has been incompetently run

That’s on ownership not Presti IMO
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    dnc said:

dnc said:

ntxduck said:

dnc said:

ntxduck said:

Tequilla said:

The thing with most of those picks is they will be out of the lottery ... which means they may lead to rotation players instead of Stars

Only way they get stars is to bottom out and win the lottery ... Westbrook swapped w CP3 is the direction that I expect

How will okc bottoming out affect the picks they are getting from the clippers??

I didn't read it that way. He said they aren't getting stars with the OKC picks, then said the only way to get stars is to bottom out.

IF this was baseball I could understand the whole process more clearly, because you have so many players on a roster and you're trying to add assets everywhere. In the NBA, the draft is watered down after the top 4-5 every year where statistics show you have around a 30% chances of drafting a star within the top 10 and that gets flushed even further as the draft goes down. Getting down to picks 15+(where most of the 1st rounders they have will be) and you're hoping you have a player who can stay on your roster past their rookie deal. They would have to not only bottom out, but get lucky in the lottery to be top 3 multiple times to obtain the stars that might compliment the role players they will be getting.

Long term, fine, someone could argue completely against the above, but also consider you just told your fan base that your team will not be, nor try to be competitive for the next 7 years. Please pay for all our tickets, but we'll be putting an abortion on the floor for the next 5 years and hope we can be competitive in year 6 or 7. Some may say, well the sixers. The new model of draft picks isn't going to allow for completely mailing in a season, or at least largely reduces your chances of gaining a top 3 pick as in previous years.

When OKC trades Paul, and likely Adams, they literally will have zero contracts worth a shit on the board after this year. Gallinari will be gone, the rest of the roster will be gutted. I believe they'd have around $20M on the books. George is the only good player to sign there and he wanted out in a year. Even with space, I'll believe "Max" guys signing in OKC when i see it.
    The only thing I disagree with here is I think the general narrative that the picks will be worthless is short sighted. They *could* be worthless, but things change so incredibly fast in this league that the Clips could be out of the playoffs in three to four years. It's unlikely, but far from impossible. And they have enough picks accumulated that they'll always be a threat to move up.

All that being said, its' going to be a long time before OKC makes the playoffs again unless something really weird happens. I can't wait for their arena to start sitting empty.

FCBWARCG
    The Thunder have some Miami picks too. They aren’t going to be good. Butler’s contract is huge and they really don’t have many, if any young players that are worth a shit.
  • Options
    allpurpleallgoldallpurpleallgold Member Posts: 8,771
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker First Anniversary

dnc said:

dnc said:

ntxduck said:

dnc said:

ntxduck said:

Tequilla said:

FCBWARCG
    The Thunder have some Miami picks too. They aren’t going to be good. Butler’s contract is huge and they really don’t have many, if any young players that are worth a shit.
    They might trade for Chris Paul though!