Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

$1.6T Student Debt - No Warning, Just Gone

Comments

• Options
    SledogSledog Member Posts: 30,828
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    SFGbob said:

2001400ex said:

SFGbob said:

2001400ex said:

SFGbob said:

2001400ex said:

SFGbob said:

2001400ex said:

SFGbob said:

2001400ex said:

SFGbob said:

2001400ex said:

SFGbob said:

2001400ex said:

Oh and I disagree with getting rid of student debt. The only thing I'd support is a system where you pay on time for X number of years and the rest is forgiven. So if your loans are 15 years and you pay on time the first 10, then cool. And you can only have so many months of deferment.

I know a dude who makes about $140k a year, graduated 6 years ago. Came out making $120k. His $150k in loans is still in deferment. Like how does that work? He graduated from wsu so that explains part of it.

Why should your student loan debt be forgiven just because you've paid on time for a number of years?
    As an incentive to actually pay them down. It's too easy to just let them roll in deferment. As my post indicated.

Back in the day, my loans, if I made all 12 payments, I'd get a letter every year saying 1% of my loans were forgiven. And my interest rate was reduced under 3% after a couple years.
    How about the incentive that you signed a contract and borrowed the money now you're on the hook to pay it back. People should pay back the money they are contractually obligated to pay and not one penny less.

You shouldn't need an incentive not to be a dead beat.
    There's a lot of things people should and shouldn't be. You shouldn't be a Homophobic faggot but we accept that. A lot of people are deadbeats. A lot of college graduates defer their student loans indefinitely. Reducing the liability also brings more money into the economy for people who are actually educated. For someone who supports tax cuts for the wealthy. I'd think you'd support invectives for people who actually pay their debts.
    You can't defer your loans indefinitely. Do you have any more fantasy stories you'd like tell us Hondo? I support invective for people who don't pay their debts.
    If you know how to work the system. Indefinitely isn't far off. Or if your loan was prior to 1993.

https://studentaid.ed.gov/sa/repay-loans/deferment-forbearance
    Or you could just lie and then when called on your lie post a link that doesn't support your lie. You can't defer your loan payments indefinitely Hondo. You talked straight out of your ass and now instead of admitting as much you're doubling down and lying. This is what you do.
    Do you ever wonder why I'm the only dumbfuck dumb enough to try to actually engage you in a conversation?
    Do you ever wonder why you're a pathological liar who is constantly posting links that don't support what you've claimed? You can't defer your student loan payments indefinitely. You fucking lied Kunt, just as you always lie and instead of having the integrity to just admit you were wrong you now compound it by doubling down on your lie.
    Yeah you don't get upset about lies* at all. In any way.

* Perceived lies. Any idiot understands the concept I was speaking about.

Ah yes the "concept" of you being a pathological liar.

A lot of college graduates defer their student loans indefinitely.
    So you don't understand. Got it.
    I get that you're a liar who can't back up your mouth. No college students defer their student loans indefinitely.
    So am I right in assuming Hondo never paid his student loan debt and now wants to pay with everyone else's money? Asking for a friend.
  • Options
    Pitchfork51Pitchfork51 Member Posts: 26,601
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Maybe don't make a college education mandatory to be a fucking secretary or hr person.
  • Options
    SFGbobSFGbob Member Posts: 31,920
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    Hey Hondo, if you can defer your college loan repayments indefinitely as you claim what’s the incentive for anyone to repay their loans?
  • Options
    CirrhosisDawgCirrhosisDawg Member Posts: 6,390
    First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary
    SFGbob said:

Hey Hondo, if you can defer your college loan repayments indefinitely as you claim what’s the incentive for anyone to repay their loans?

Hey GayBob, you keep saying you have integrity but you never answer questions. Wtf is wrong with you?
  • Options
    2001400ex2001400ex Member Posts: 29,457
    SFGbob said:

Bob finally gets it.
  • Options
    Standard Supporter
    2001400ex said:

SFGbob said:

Bob finally gets it.
    That you lied your ass off? I got that a long time ago.

• Options
    2001400ex2001400ex Member Posts: 29,457
    SFGbob said:

2001400ex said:

SFGbob said:

Bob finally gets it.
    That you lied your ass off? I got that a long time ago.

Embarrassing.
  • Options
    Standard Supporter
    I agree, this is embarrassing:

A lot of college graduates defer their student loans indefinitely.
  • Options
    I haven't paid mine in like 4 months.

Granted it's like 3k now
  • Options
    haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 20,500
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    This always turns into shit on the non stem majors and assume they're the problem.

I've seen stem majors rack up 100k thinking they have a job waiting for them to pay it off quickly, then realize they suck at programming and make 45k doing first level customer support.

Or that their biology degree is as useless as women's studies without grad school...

The UW cell molecular bio major is a very special snowflake...
  • Options
    creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,749
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic
    I agree with you @haie . It would be great if we were able to bifurcate the notion of immediate economic mobility and long-term utility.

Higher Ed is never useless, and in the long run, it's the best defense against poverty and the best way to be an agent of your own future. But that doesn't mean you go six figures in debt for an undergrad degree in anything but a handful of fields of study. That doesn't mean those fields of study are useless; it means that they're not going to translate to higher earnings fast enough to make the finances pencil out reasonably.

Majoring in English, all jokes aside, is a good and valuable thing. Trust me; I hire people. People who can write well are always useful, and they tend to rise in corporate organizations quickly, because that skill seldom comes alone. Good writers are good thinkers and good communicators overall.

But, you're not going to be able service a 100K loan right out of the gates.

Also, so much of this depends on where you go to school. An English or Econ or Bio degree from Amherst College is going to take you different places than such a degree from the University of Arizona. That is the way it is. A degree in International Relations from Georgetown will get you a job, whether it relates to Int'l Relations or not. A degree in Int'l Relations from Texas Tech won't get you as far.

And even with a prestigious degree, one should be very careful b4 signing up for 100k of debt for a degree from any school. It's risky.
  • Options
    haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 20,500
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited June 2019

I agree with you @haie . It would be great if we were able to bifurcate the notion of immediate economic mobility and long-term utility.

Higher Ed is never useless, and in the long run, it's the best defense against poverty and the best way to be an agent of your own future. But that doesn't mean you go six figures in debt for an undergrad degree in anything but a handful of fields of study. That doesn't mean those fields of study are useless; it means that they're not going to translate to higher earnings fast enough to make the finances pencil out reasonably.

Majoring in English, all jokes aside, is a good and valuable thing. Trust me; I hire people. People who can write well are always useful, and they tend to rise in corporate organizations quickly, because that skill seldom comes alone. Good writers are good thinkers and good communicators overall.

Also, so much of this depends on where you go to school. An English or Econ or Bio degree from Amherst College is going to take you different places than such a degree from the University of Arizona. That is the way it is. A degree in International Relations from Georgetown will get you a job, whether it relates to Int'l Relations or not. A degree in Int'l Relations from Texas Tech won't get you as far.

And even with a prestigious degree, one should be very careful b4 signing up for 100k of debt for a degree from any school. It's risky.

Domain knowledge and excellent communication skills whether writing speaking or both are still pivitol.

What's lost on college students today is that regardless of what your focus is, you need to network, grow domain knowledge, and develop outside skills in addition to your education.

I still love the CHID program at UW, which was my minor. They encouraged you to be holistic and sell yourself instead of boxing yourself into one skillset.
  • Options
    haie said:

Domain knowledge and excellent communication skills whether writing speaking or both are still pivitol.

What's lost on college students today is that regardless of what your focus is, you need to network, grow domain knowledge, and develop outside skills in addition to your education.

I still love the CHID program at UW, which was my minor. They encouraged you to be holistic and sell yourself instead of boxing yourself into one skillset.
    CHID is solid. A great undergraduate education in the classical sense in and of itself.
  • Options

A degree from Arizona only qualifies you to be hondos boss
  • Options
    pawzpawz Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 18,802
    Founders Club

A degree from Arizona only qualifies you to be hondos boss
    Heart Attack Burger.

• Options
    KaepskneeKaepsknee Member Posts: 14,750
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment

pawz said:

When you support handing out trillions in cash every year, it’s probably best you don’t cry about bribing people for votes.

I support handing out trillions in cash? Since when?

Link please.
    UBI? I was like 95% sure you at least liked the idea of it.
    WTF would you think that?

Man the AIDS has really rotted the cortex hasn't it?
  • Options
    KaepskneeKaepsknee Member Posts: 14,750
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Swaye said:

Also, I've got a better idea than debt forgiveness. How about we actually make people uphold the obligations they willingly signed up for, and do something to reduce the cost of college in a substantial way so that future generations are not completely fucked over by these out of control spiraling costs. My solution is to fire about half of the administration at all colleges and that would allow tuition to be reduced by 15-20% right there.

I made those numbers up, but still. Poont stands.

I'd say no more student loans.

That is what has and what will continue to raise tuition costs way above their market value. Besides, If you have a 3.5 or better in HS, you can go to CC your first two years for almost free almost everywhere now. And if you do well in CC,then you can get scholarships.

If you can't do this.....

the world needs ditch diggers too.

As well as plumbers, electricians, framers and of course......

Coders.
  • Options
    UW_Doog_BotUW_Doog_Bot Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 14,259
    Swaye's Wigwam
    haie said:

What's lost on college students today is that regardless of what your focus is, you need to work, grow domain knowledge, and develop outside skills in addition to your education.

A college degree has been sold as an automatic job maker. It isn't. That's the biggest thing I've seen from my peers and the people coming after me. "I've received my degree now where do I go to collect my six figure job?"

It's not completely their fault, liberal arts teachers have been telling them for years to follow their dreams and passion and not to worry about their finances. It's a solid way to keep students in paying seats in the humanities department and keep making money at their own passion I suppose.
  • Options

haie said:

What's lost on college students today is that regardless of what your focus is, you need to work, grow domain knowledge, and develop outside skills in addition to your education.

A college degree has been sold as an automatic job maker. It isn't. That's the biggest thing I've seen from my peers and the people coming after me. "I've received my degree now where do I go to collect my six figure job?"

It's not completely their fault, liberal arts teachers have been telling them for years to follow their dreams and passion and not to worry about their finances. It's a solid way to keep students in paying seats in the humanities department and keep making money at their own passion I suppose.
    Exactly.
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,424
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    We just hired a fresh college grad as a superintendent in training.

The degree was not a requirement