Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Has anyone here sat on on a jury before?

Comments

• Options
    MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 37,781
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    DHD said:

I've practiced law for about 25 years. 10 years as a prosecutor and 15 on the defense side. Prosecuted everything from speeding tickets to murder and defended everything from speeding tickets to murder. I don't even bother showing up for jury duty because there's no way I'm getting selected.

A couple of jury stories:

About 10 years ago I defended a guy who had an Assault 4 - DV charge for allegedly slapping around his wife in the middle of a bar. Client refused to take any deals ... he wanted a trial. 5 eye witnesses testify consistently that my guy slapped his wife around in the middle of the bar. My guy is clearly gonna' get convicted. We do closing argument and they jury takes the case to the jury room.

About 10 minutes into deliberations, uproarious laughter starts eminating from the jury room. It can be heard all through the small courthouse. The laughter continues ... loudly ... for at least 20 minutes. Finally, the judge calls the jury back into the box and inquires if they are deliberating the case. Forman says, "yes". Judge excuses them back to the jury room. Almost immediately, the laughter begins again. Continues for about 10 minutes.

Judge brings the jury back and asks the foreman if they have a verdict. Foreman says, "no". Judge asks foreman if he believes deliberations are being taken seriously. (We're cruising down mistrial road at this point, so I'm not objecting to anything, but doing my best to make a good record). Foreman says, "yes". Judge, thoroughly pissed off, says, "it doesn't sound like it". Foreman says that they've been spending their time coming up with "creative" ways to punish my client and that some of the ideas were "really funny". (There are about 40 different ways that this is inappropriate conduct by the jurors).

After some inquiry by the judge, who is obviously about to blow a gasket, I move for a mistrial ... granted. Client ended up pleading to the original offer rather than re-try the case.

Second story: Client is alleged to have slapped his wife around in the parking lot of the local Grange Hall. State identifies neighbor who claims to have watched it all go down from his living room window. I check out the scene and realize there is no way this guy could see it from his living room window as the view is blocked by shrubs, bushes, and other shit. (Think "My Cousin Vinnie".)

State calls neighbor who testifies that he saw it all. I spend about 15 minutes on cross examination laying the groundwork for the Perry Mason moment when I'm planning on holding up a picture of all of the shit that obstructed this guys view, thereby making it impossible for this guy to have seen anything. The whole "you were here and they were there" questions, just like you've all seen on TV. All that stuff.

As I'm doing this, I'm moving directly in front of the jury box so when I force this guy to say, "hey, I guess I couldn't really see anything", he has to say it while looking at the jury.

I pick up my 3 foot x 4 foot poster sized picture of the jungle outside this guy's window ... ready to let the hammer drop ... and as I do, I hear a crash at counsel table behind me and look to see my client furiously trying to sop up the pitcher of water that he's spilled all over my notes, books and ... himself.

Then, I hear a juror, right behind me, mutter ... "fucking dipshit" ... as he watched my client use his shirt to soak up the water.

I still got the witness to admit he didn't see a thing, but the dramatic effect was completely lost. It didn't seem to matter though, since the aquittal came back after about 10 minutes of deliberation.

Disagree
  • Options
    Pitchfork51Pitchfork51 Member Posts: 26,672
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    DJDuck said:

More of Pitchforks Fags that are already Huskies:

Here are two Oregon fags

Jaxon Kirkland

Trey Lowe

Some more fags

Fag

Hunter Bryant

Fag

Terrell Bynum

Fag

Myles Bryant

Fag

Sean McGrew

Fag

Brandon Wellington

Jesus fuck. I'm not talking about sports.
  • Options
    SledogSledog Member Posts: 31,549
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes
    DJDuck said:

DJDuck said:

DJDuck said:

Been called twice. I used the ‘just didn’t show up’ gambit. I was self employed and couldn’t afford it.

Confirmed. You are poor.
    What are you talking about moron. I was self employed and didn’t’ want to serve on a jury.

We were so poor we paid 4 kids Catholic school tuition from Kindergarten through High School.

If you want I could give you the approximate figure of the cost involved.

Yes, why don’t you calculate the amount of Catholic school tuition you paid to illustrate that you are not poor. Please include your wife’s Beaverton school district pension while you are at it. Just how poor are you? To be honest, you sound really poor.
    Approximately $450;000

I sent two through K thru 8 and it was 100k and that was 10 years ago.
  • Options
    DHD said:

I've practiced law for about 25 years. 10 years as a prosecutor and 15 on the defense side. Prosecuted everything from speeding tickets to murder and defended everything from speeding tickets to murder. I don't even bother showing up for jury duty because there's no way I'm getting selected.

A couple of jury stories:

About 10 years ago I defended a guy who had an Assault 4 - DV charge for allegedly slapping around his wife in the middle of a bar. Client refused to take any deals ... he wanted a trial. 5 eye witnesses testify consistently that my guy slapped his wife around in the middle of the bar. My guy is clearly gonna' get convicted. We do closing argument and they jury takes the case to the jury room.

About 10 minutes into deliberations, uproarious laughter starts eminating from the jury room. It can be heard all through the small courthouse. The laughter continues ... loudly ... for at least 20 minutes. Finally, the judge calls the jury back into the box and inquires if they are deliberating the case. Forman says, "yes". Judge excuses them back to the jury room. Almost immediately, the laughter begins again. Continues for about 10 minutes.

Judge brings the jury back and asks the foreman if they have a verdict. Foreman says, "no". Judge asks foreman if he believes deliberations are being taken seriously. (We're cruising down mistrial road at this point, so I'm not objecting to anything, but doing my best to make a good record). Foreman says, "yes". Judge, thoroughly pissed off, says, "it doesn't sound like it". Foreman says that they've been spending their time coming up with "creative" ways to punish my client and that some of the ideas were "really funny". (There are about 40 different ways that this is inappropriate conduct by the jurors).

After some inquiry by the judge, who is obviously about to blow a gasket, I move for a mistrial ... granted. Client ended up pleading to the original offer rather than re-try the case.

Second story: Client is alleged to have slapped his wife around in the parking lot of the local Grange Hall. State identifies neighbor who claims to have watched it all go down from his living room window. I check out the scene and realize there is no way this guy could see it from his living room window as the view is blocked by shrubs, bushes, and other shit. (Think "My Cousin Vinnie".)

State calls neighbor who testifies that he saw it all. I spend about 15 minutes on cross examination laying the groundwork for the Perry Mason moment when I'm planning on holding up a picture of all of the shit that obstructed this guys view, thereby making it impossible for this guy to have seen anything. The whole "you were here and they were there" questions, just like you've all seen on TV. All that stuff.

As I'm doing this, I'm moving directly in front of the jury box so when I force this guy to say, "hey, I guess I couldn't really see anything", he has to say it while looking at the jury.

I pick up my 3 foot x 4 foot poster sized picture of the jungle outside this guy's window ... ready to let the hammer drop ... and as I do, I hear a crash at counsel table behind me and look to see my client furiously trying to sop up the pitcher of water that he's spilled all over my notes, books and ... himself.

Then, I hear a juror, right behind me, mutter ... "fucking dipshit" ... as he watched my client use his shirt to soak up the water.

I still got the witness to admit he didn't see a thing, but the dramatic effect was completely lost. It didn't seem to matter though, since the aquittal came back after about 10 minutes of deliberation.

I had a 2 week trial on some real assholes I hooked. They went pro per and said lots of things they shouldn't. Judge almost held them for contempt. Jury went out for to deliberate for 10 minutes, just long enough to use the bathroom, and came back with a guilty verdict. Judge was really pissed at these two and the sentence was harsh.

I've also appeared as an expert witness which is kind of fun. It's a specialty pleasing when the defense attorney has zero knowledge of the subject.
  • Options
    USMChawkUSMChawk Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,796
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Sledog said:

DJDuck said:

DJDuck said:

DJDuck said:

Been called twice. I used the ‘just didn’t show up’ gambit. I was self employed and couldn’t afford it.

Confirmed. You are poor.
    What are you talking about moron. I was self employed and didn’t’ want to serve on a jury.

We were so poor we paid 4 kids Catholic school tuition from Kindergarten through High School.

Yes, why don’t you calculate the amount of Catholic school tuition you paid to illustrate that you are not poor. Please include your wife’s Beaverton school district pension while you are at it. Just how poor are you? To be honest, you sound really poor.
    Approximately $450;000

If you two pours could afford to live in a good school district you could have saved all that money.
  • Options
    USMChawk said:

Sledog said:

DJDuck said:

DJDuck said:

DJDuck said:

Confirmed. You are poor.

Approximately $450;000

If you two pours could afford to live in a good school district you could have saved all that money.
    I did. We decided K thru 8 would be in a private religious school. Money welll spent.
  • Options
    LebamDawgLebamDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 8,574
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    is there such a thing as a good school district? maybe a good district with crappy admin and teachers exists...

whatever that means
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    LebamDawg said:

is there such a thing as a good school district? maybe a good district with crappy admin and teachers exists...

whatever that means

Mine growing up was pretty solid. Very few people I knew went to private school

And it was usually for sports

My school was like half asian
  • Options
    GDSGDS Member Posts: 1,470

DJDuck said:

DJDuck said:

Confirmed. You are poor.

He was a cabbie who bragged about bilking government agencies for huge fares...
  • Options
    USMChawkUSMChawk Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,796
    Swaye's Wigwam

LebamDawg said:

whatever that means

My daughter’s middle school band had more than 40 violinists, almost all Asian. That’s how you know you’re in a good school district.
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    USMChawk said:

LebamDawg said:

whatever that means

My daughter’s middle school band had more than 40 violinists, almost all Asian. That’s how you know you’re in a good school district.
    Yeah I lived less than 2 miles from Intel motorola microchip and Honeywell

Somehow I had a 4.0 all AP classes and was still ranked 12 in my graduating class

They flat out took unnecessary summer school classes to pump the rank.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    USMChawk said:

LebamDawg said:

whatever that means

Pics?
  • Options
    GreenRiverGatorzGreenRiverGatorz Member Posts: 10,147
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    edited June 2019
    DJDuck said:

Even more of Pitchforks Washington Husky fags:

Alex Cook.....Fag

Kyler Gordon.....Fag

Trent Mcduffie.....Fag

Keith Taylor.....Fag

David Pritchard.....Fag

AJ Carly.....Fag

Nick Harris.....Fag

Cole Norgaard.....Fag

Luke Wattenburg.....Fag

Tuli Letuligasenoa.....Fag

Fauteuils Tuitele....Fag

Matteo Mele.....Fag

Laiatu Latu.....Fag

Ben Hines.....Fag

This is embarrassing even for you
  • Options
    BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,706
    Founders Club
    I avoided posting in this thread so as to not jinx myself. Low and behold, today I get a notice for a summons for jury duty. Praise Allah for the top tips in this thread to get out of serving.
  • Options

I avoided posting in this thread so as to not jinx myself. Low and behold, today I get a notice for a summons for jury duty. Praise Allah for the top tips in this thread to get out of serving.

Go put a dirt bag in jail. It feels really good!
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Sledog said:

Jury nullification feels a lot better.
  • Options
    HHuskyHHusky Member Posts: 19,452
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    edited July 2019
    52 school years cost Deej $450,000? Pretty cheap really.
  • Options
    HHuskyHHusky Member Posts: 19,452
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Sledog said:

USMChawk said:

Sledog said:

DJDuck said:

DJDuck said:

DJDuck said:

Confirmed. You are poor.

Approximately $450;000

I did. We decided K thru 8 would be in a private religious school. Money welll spent.
    But the deficient public schools were fine for high school? Or did they enter the work force after 8th grade?
  • Options

Sledog said:

Not when it's a shitbag criminal. So you're for a huge shitbag criminal population on our streets?
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Sledog said:

Sledog said:

Not when it's a shitbag criminal. So you're for a huge shitbag criminal population on our streets?
    Why would guy assume that?