Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Has anyone here sat on on a jury before?

Comments

• Options
    MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 37,781
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Twice. I’m not the one who they would suspect of believing in jury nullification, but thats what I did both times.
  • Options
    YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 34,042
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam

Twice. I’m not the one who they would suspect of believing in jury nullification, but thats what I did both times.

Way to violate the separation of powers. Jurors shouldn't be making law any more than judges.
  • Options
    LebamDawgLebamDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 8,554
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I served on 3 juries - one in Snohomo county and 2 in Pacific county. Let the guy go on an assault with a deadly weapon as the prosecuting attorney blew that by not having a detailed map of the interior of the house. I was foreman and told him afterwards why we let him go.

Here is Pacific County they are really simple. My wife and I both got picked to be on the jury. The judge asked if anyone had doubts about serving. I raised my hand and explained that if they wanted a quick decision that my wife and I could drag it out for a couple days. Got a good laugh but we both stayed. Convicted him of lying to a game warden. Guy was an asshole (game warden) but that was not what we were there to determine.

Forgot what the other one was it was so inconsequential.

I don't mind being selected - I think it is kind of fun
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited June 2019

Way to violate the separation of powers. Jurors shouldn't be making law any more than judges.
    I won’t ever convict anyone of an unjust law or abuse of police power. Fuck that and fuck you.

I bet you would have convicted someone of harboring a runaway slave in 1850.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

I won’t ever convict anyone of an unjust law or abuse of police power. Fuck that and fuck you.

Wow, Damone. Great fucking argument. And better yet coming from the guy who refers to the freer of the slaves as a “piece of shit”.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited June 2019

Wow, Damone. Great fucking argument. And better yet coming from the guy who refers to the freer of the slaves as a “piece of shit”.
    He didn’t free anyone. The north was already free. He didn’t have jurisdiction over the south at the time.

So would you convict someone for harboring a runaway slave or not? That was the law.

Would you convict a black man who married a white woman? That was against the law. Would you convict someone for resisting arrest when no charges were brought on them other than resisting? That’s the law. Would you have someone put in a cage for having some pot? That was the law.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

He didn’t free anyone. The north was already free. He didn’t have jurisdiction over the south at the time.

So would you convict someone for harboring a runaway slave or not? That was the law.

Would you convict a black man who married a white woman? That was against the law. Would you convict someone for resisting arrest when no charges were brought on them other than resisting? That’s the law. Would you have someone put in a cage for having some pot? That was the law.
    No - he freed slaves by military order in 1863 in parts of the Confederacy under Union control and ALL the slaves by getting the 13th Amendment passed in 1865 which many in the North were against.

Thankfully, we don’t live in an era of racist laws anymore. Maybe jury nullification might have made sense in some of those specific instances you mention - be it the Fugitive Slave Act or Loving vs Virginia - but it general it would create chaos and anarchy in the legal system have jurors deciding what laws to enforce or not. Remember, most of the general population are idiots.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited June 2019

No - he freed slaves by military order in 1863 in parts of the Confederacy under Union control and ALL the slaves by getting the 13th Amendment passed in 1865 which many in the North were against.

Thankfully, we don’t live in an era of racist laws anymore. Maybe jury nullification might have made sense in some of those specific instances you mention - be it the Fugitive Slave Act or Loving vs Virginia - but it general it would create chaos and anarchy in the legal system have jurors deciding what laws to enforce or not. Remember, most of the general population are idiots.
    Many laws still need to be challenged by good people. You’d vote to ruin someone’s life for having marijuana? Or “resisting”?

Where did I say jury nullification should done “in general”?

I know.... you’re just following orders

Lincoln had not jurisdiction over the confederacy and “freeing” the slaves was a pure political play. “Under union control” ok!

Fucker pissed all over the constitution.

You sound like a good obedient statist.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

Many laws still need to be challenged by good people. You’d vote to ruin someone’s life for having marijuana? Or “resisting”?

Lincoln had not jurisdiction over the confederacy and “freeing” the salves was a pure political play.

He pissed all over the Constitution after traitorous scum committed treason. When the war was won, he freed the slaves via the Constitutional process.

I voted for marijuana to be legal, because there’s not a compelling reason for the state butt into people’s private lives and ban it.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

Lincoln had not jurisdiction over the confederacy and “freeing” the salves was a pure political play.

He pissed all over the Constitution after traitorous scum committed treason. When the war was won, he freed the slaves via the Constitutional process.

I voted for marijuana to be legal, because there’s not a compelling reason for the state butt into people’s private lives and ban it.
    So you’d vote on a jury to put someone in a cage for marijuana possession if that where the law?

Also. Glad you admitted Lincoln pissed all over the constitution.
  • Options
    LebamDawgLebamDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 8,554
    Swaye's Wigwam

I'd like hondo to be a slave. And if he ran away I'd turn him in.

I laffed
  • Options
    HHuskyHHusky Member Posts: 19,276
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment

Lincoln had not jurisdiction over the confederacy and “freeing” the slaves was a pure political play. “Under union control” ok!

Damon thinks an impotent state is the key to our liberty. It's standard libertarian gobbledygook.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    HHusky said:

Damon thinks an impotent state is the key to our liberty. It's standard libertarian gobbledygook.
    HH thinks throwing people in cages for victimless crimes gives him a big dick. Typical statist control freak
  • Options
    creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,749
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic
    Sledog said:

I recently wrapped up a nearly 2 week stint on a civil trial. During the juror selection process I kept thinking to myself what would @Sledog say so that I could get excused, but alas my real life persona of an objective, cuckold always seems to shine through. Throughout the proceedings I was able to keep myself entertained with and endless stream of Hardcore Husky inside jokes. At every corner the judge and counsel would Thank Us For Our Service. There was plentiful wheel chair (powered and manual) hawt talk and in depth economis discussions about present value and discount rates. The Aurora Bridge even got its free pub as a location in the series of events. @Swaye would surely have been proud when during deliberations I pointed out to my fellow jurors the exact model of two tone, "Date Just" Rolex watch worn by one of the plaintiff's sleazy "expert" witnesses and its approximate value.

I was always legally excused. No one will take me as a juror. Ask the pretend attorneys if they want a retired cop on the jury. Prosecutors do! The rest not so much.
    Gee I wonder why.
  • Options
    KaepskneeKaepsknee Member Posts: 14,751

HHusky said:

HH thinks throwing people in cages for victimless crimes gives him a big dick. Typical statist control freak
    You really needed a nap didn't ya. You gave @allpurpleallgold a run for bleeding gash of the day with this thread.