Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Greatest second album in rock history?

Comments

• PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,660
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Write-in Vote
    Baseman said:

*2nd album with Buckingham and Nicks

Fuck you Stevie! You aren’t shit without Lindsey

Still wood. Without or without Lindsey.
  • SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,045
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
    Metallica - Ride The Lightning
    Probably should have voted Nevermind to be honest, but Metallica love prevented it. Can we do a best 3rd album of all time, so that Master of Puppets can win going away?
  • 1to392831weretaken1to392831weretaken Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,280
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
  • YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,796
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Led Zeppelin II

Follow instructions.
  • 1to392831weretaken1to392831weretaken Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,280
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

Follow instructions.
    Some of us just rock differently, okay?
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Led Zeppelin II
    Baseman said:

*2nd album with Buckingham and Nicks

Fuck you Stevie! You aren’t shit without Lindsey

I stuck to the rules here, but if we bent them then this album in a landslide. It's the greatest "pop" album of it's era.
  • AlexisAlexis Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,977
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Write-in Vote
    Pole invalid without AC DC- TNT and Motley Crue-Shout at the Devil.

• SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,045
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
    Metallica - Ride The Lightning
    Alexis said:

We have a third album pole going now as well. Was AC/DC's third Dirty Deeds? If so that's a solid 3rd.
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Led Zeppelin II
    Alexis said:

We're not in Australia mate. Their second US album was Dirty Deeds which is more compilation vs true studio album.
  • alumni94alumni94 Member Posts: 4,849
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Neil Young - Everybody Knows this is Nowhere
    This was a hard one. Voted for Neil, because it's fucking Brother Neil Young. But honestly think Nirvana is the right answer. Also, like Black Sabbath and if we got two votes, would have gone for them.
  • alumni94alumni94 Member Posts: 4,849
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Neil Young - Everybody Knows this is Nowhere

HHusky said:

The Eagles are on Mt Rushmore

Breaks my heart you didn't vote for NY. Cowgirl in the Sand, Cinnamon Girl and Down by the River all one one record? The Eagles couldn't hold Neil's jock strap for 10 seconds.
    Neil who?

As a band the Eagles are Neil Young
    The Eagles are the ultimate Revelation 3:16 band. I don’t love, nor hate them.
    They felt pretty unique and original from about 1972-75. Then the category they occupied got pretty full and it's hard to remember how fresh they felt in those early years.
    That’s the thing though - they weren’t very original or unique. Many artists were doing the country rock thing before the Eagles debut album in 1972. Byrds, Flying Burrito Brothers, Dylan, Gram Parsons, New Riders of the Purple Sage all came before and did it better.

You can add in the Grateful Dead also.
  • RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 100,729
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Write-in Vote

HHusky said:

Breaks my heart you didn't vote for NY. Cowgirl in the Sand, Cinnamon Girl and Down by the River all one one record? The Eagles couldn't hold Neil's jock strap for 10 seconds.
    Neil who?

They felt pretty unique and original from about 1972-75. Then the category they occupied got pretty full and it's hard to remember how fresh they felt in those early years.
    That’s the thing though - they weren’t very original or unique. Many artists were doing the country rock thing before the Eagles debut album in 1972. Byrds, Flying Burrito Brothers, Dylan, Gram Parsons, New Riders of the Purple Sage all came before and did it better.
    Where do I find those bands on this list?

Here are the American artists that have sold the most albums:
    Garth Brooks – 148 million units.
    Elvis Presley – 146.5 million units.
    Eagles – 101 million units.
    Billy Joel – 82.5 million units.
    Michael Jackson – 81 million units.
    George Strait – 69 million units.
    Barbra Streisand – 68.5 million units.
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Write-in Vote

HHusky said:

Neil who?

Oh I'm sorry, I didn't realistic commercial success was the same thing as artistic greatness.
    Well it certainly isn't mutually exclusive

That's one of the oldest of the old school half brain bits

Every music or film pole devolves into the most obscure artists and films no one has heard of to show how hip the poster is

Burrito Brothers et al were not commercial successes for a reason. They were limited in skill and song writing

I don't know about you but I'll take 100 million people paying for my music over a critic sitting alone who is no better than me for what he's shown
  • SoutherndawgSoutherndawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 8,226
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Founders Club
    Led Zeppelin II

HHusky said:

Neil who?

Chinteresting list. Garth, the King, Eagles, Billy, Michael and Babs, no surprise. George Strait though? Good stuff, but that's a heady group to join.
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Led Zeppelin II

HHusky said:

Neil who?

Oh I'm sorry, I didn't realistic commercial success was the same thing as artistic greatness.
    Well it certainly isn't mutually exclusive

That's one of the oldest of the old school half brain bits

Every music or film pole devolves into the most obscure artists and films no one has heard of to show how hip the poster is

Burrito Brothers et al were not commercial successes for a reason. They were limited in skill and song writing

I don't know about you but I'll take 100 million people paying for my music over a critic sitting alone who is no better than me for what he's shown
    No they are not mutually exclusive. There were plenty of groups and solo artists that had massive popularity in terms of sales and an immense amount of respeck from the critics. People forget, of course, that initially the critics hated Zeppelin, but in time that has changed and they are considered by most of the rock press the greatest hard rock band of the 70's. The Eagles, on the other hand, sold a shit ton of records, but to this day, aren't critical favorites.

It should be noted for the record, that I try to avoid the obscure, niche stuff in my poles. All the albums in this series were big sellers.
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Write-in Vote
    The Eagles are punished for their success. Hipster kids hate popularity

The Eagles have plenty of critical acclaim. Its just from a long time ago. Don Henley is one of the greatest voices ever and like the Warriors they took a championship squad and added Joe Walsh. Glenn Frey hated the country rock and wanted to ROCK

I saw them on the White River Rez 15 years ago or so. Still an awesome band
  • PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,660
    edited May 2019
    Write-in Vote

The Eagles have plenty of critical acclaim. Its just from a long time ago. Don Henley is one of the greatest voices ever and like the Warriors they took a championship squad and added Joe Walsh. Glenn Frey hated the country rock and wanted to ROCK

Saw them in 2003 - Hell Freezes Over Tour.

When you know every single word to every song.....that's a good band, no matter what the cool kids say (and they know all the words, too).

Swaye's Wigwam
    Led Zeppelin II

When you know every single word to every song.....that's a good band, no matter what the cool kids say (and they know all the words, too).

I know all the words. Never said I hated 'em. I just don't put them anywhere near Mt Rushmore overall for the genre. For American bands, however, because there's really no dominate group/s they probably have as good as claim as anyone else not named the Beach Boys.
  • BearsWiinBearsWiin Member Posts: 4,947
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Led Zeppelin II

Hell Freezes Over Tour was 1994.

Henley had said they'd get back together when Hell freezes over. They got back together, made an album (Hell Freezes Over), then went on tour. I saw them in DC at RFK (Cheryl Crow opened for them)

The previous year I'd gone to see Henley at Glen Helen outside San Bernardino because I was convinced they'd never get back together. His blonde backup singer was almost as hot as the chick I went with