Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

I miss the Nebraska classy gentlemen’s club

124»

Comments

• Options
    SFGbobSFGbob Member Posts: 31,920
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter

SFGbob said:

BearsWiin said:

SFGbob said:

BearsWiin said:

BearsWiin said:

SFGbob said:

I love this thread. The futility and desperation of the replies illustrates completely that the federal government is an abject joke and failure. If only pelosi and Schumer would play nice with trump then WE could accomplish stuff1!?!1 Good luck trumptards.

Reducing DC to common defense and common currency is the only rational solution. There’s not a single branch of the federal government that has any credibility or deserves any respect.

I agree with your assessment of the Federal Governments abilities but aren't you a BIG supporter of the California state government?
    California has created the greatest wealth producing society and culture the world has ever seen. Despite government, including the state government. The heavy hand and cost of an oppressive and ignorant federal government is far more burdensome.
    “California” didn’t create shit. People there did. Individuals. It could be even greater if the fuck heads in Sacramento would stand down.
    This is a peculiar take. So where did the R&D funding come from that made Silicon Valley possible?
    Not to mention the highly educated and innovative workforce that came out of the UCs and CSUs

Because if the state didn’t have universities there would be no universities.
    Sorry you don't understand the massive investment that the state of California made in its university system, and thus its young people, the last several decades
    And yet the best school in the State in a private University.
    Cal is public. But if you're mistakenly referring to stanfurd, their total enrollment in 2017 was 16k. Total enrollment for UC was 280k, and for CSU was 460k.
    Cal is a good school but Stanford is better. I didn't say anything about their enrollment.
    Stanford is more popular. I'm not sure I'd say it's better, and I'm generally now a supporter of private college.

Stanford is prettier and has more money (now) and is harder to get into (now) ... a big mix of merit, achievement, marketing and momentum. But over the course of time, I would take the hallmark achievements that have come out of UC Berkeley over those that have come out of Stanford. Different schools and different emphases, and both are top notch without question. That said, some historically significant shit has come out of Cal, and their departments are all top ranked.

It all depends what you value at the end of the day. But when most of the elements on the periodic table were discovered and named after professors at your school, you're doing something.

And, Cal Tech and Pomona might have something to say about this debate, although both are private, so never mind.

But public and private alike, they've all benefited from the largesse that has been the California economy.
    Both schools are fine but if any of my kids had scholarships to both Cal and Stanford, they are going to Stanford. Cal is still a good school but they aren't what they once were and you're right about Cal Tech Poly.
  • Options
    MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 37,781
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited May 2019

SFGbob said:

I love this thread. The futility and desperation of the replies illustrates completely that the federal government is an abject joke and failure. If only pelosi and Schumer would play nice with trump then WE could accomplish stuff1!?!1 Good luck trumptards.

Reducing DC to common defense and common currency is the only rational solution. There’s not a single branch of the federal government that has any credibility or deserves any respect.

I agree with your assessment of the Federal Governments abilities but aren't you a BIG supporter of the California state government?
    California has created the greatest wealth producing society and culture the world has ever seen. Despite government, including the state government. The heavy hand and cost of an oppressive and ignorant federal government is far more burdensome.
    “California” didn’t create shit. People there did. Individuals. It could be even greater if the fuck heads in Sacramento would stand down.
    This is a peculiar take. So where did the R&D funding come from that made Silicon Valley possible?
    If you think in came from the feds you’re a fucktard. If it did, hypothetically, fuck them. The federal government using money taken from citizens to fund R&D to create billionaires is some fucked up immoral thinking.
    Jesus Damone. Open up a history book. All that Dept of Defense funding that flowed into Silicon Valley back in the 1960s to 80s was so that we could win the Cold War. Did you want to lose to those dirty, commie Ruskies?
    Military spending. Not “R&D”. Which falls into my constitutionally authorized spending.
  • Options
    YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,887
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam

SFGbob said:

If you think in came from the feds you’re a fucktard. If it did, hypothetically, fuck them. The federal government using money taken from citizens to fund R&D to create billionaires is some fucked up immoral thinking.
    Jesus Damone. Open up a history book. All that Dept of Defense funding that flowed into Silicon Valley back in the 1960s to 80s was so that we could win the Cold War. Did you want to lose to those dirty, commie Ruskies?
    Military spending. Not “R&D”. Which falls into my constitutionally authorized spending.
    You said I was fucktarded to thinking the R&D funding which made SV what it is today came from the feds. The DoD (i.e., federal money) footed the bill for a large amount of that research.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

SFGbob said:

You said I was fucktarded to thinking the R&D funding which made SV what it is today came from the feds. The DoD (i.e., federal money) footed the bill for a large amount of that research.
    DOD = Military spending. HTH. It’s not throwing money at Solendra.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

SFGbob said:

It's all tax payer money. Some it has good ROI and some not so much. In the example I cite, the ROI was extraordinary.
  • Options
    GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,481
    Standard Supporter

SFGbob said:

It's all tax payer money. Some it has good ROI and some not so much. In the example I cite, the ROI was extraordinary.

• Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

SFGbob said:

Refer back to where I mention spending that is constitutionally authorized.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

SFGbob said:

*Solyndra

This may have been a FS boondoggle, but I am missing where this was unconstitutional.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

SFGbob said:

*Solyndra

This may have been a FS boondoggle, but I am missing where this was unconstitutional.
    I didn’t say it was unconstitutional.
  • Options
    GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,481
    Standard Supporter

SFGbob said:

*Solyndra

Military spending is specifically constitutional, monopoly on force and that whole thing. Guaranteed to be massively wasteful, as monopolies tend to be, but one that we must accept to some degree. Solyndra, GM, etc, are not specific constitutional certainly. Whether unconstitutional is a question for someone smarter.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited May 2019

SFGbob said:

*Solyndra

"The Congress shall have Power To lay and collect Taxes, Duties, Imposts and Excises, to pay the Debts and provide for the common Defence and general Welfare of the United States; but all Duties, Imposts and Excises shall be uniform throughout the United States" is a pretty ambiguous phrasing Damone.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited May 2019

SFGbob said:

*Solyndra

"The Congress shall have Power To lay and collect Taxes, Duties, Imposts and Excises, to pay the Debts and provide for the common Defence and general Welfare of the United States; but all Duties, Imposts and Excises shall be uniform throughout the United States" is a pretty ambiguous phrasing Damone.
    What part of “I didn’t say it was unconstitutional” went over your head?
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

SFGbob said:

*Solyndra

Not a god damned thing. I'm citing the clause from the Constitution which states what is "Constitutionally authorized spending" as you put it, and that clause is clear as fucking mud.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

SFGbob said:

*Solyndra

Not a god damned thing. I'm citing the clause from the Constitution which states what is "Constitutionally authorized spending" as you put it, and that clause is clear as fucking mud.
    It’s been debated and presented before the Supreme Court multiple times. If you read the debates and conclusions came to by Monroe, Madison and Hamilton maybe it will clear it up for you.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

SFGbob said:

*Solyndra

It’s been debated and presented before the Supreme Court multiple times. If you read the debates and conclusions came to by Monroe, Madison and Hamilton maybe it will clear it up for you.
    Lol. If only Monroe, Madison and Hamilton could see our constitutionally authorized spending now in the military industrial complex they’d be shaking and about to vomit.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

SFGbob said:

*Solyndra

Lol. If only Monroe, Madison and Hamilton could see our constitutionally authorized spending now in the military industrial complex they’d be shaking and about to vomit.
    As am I.
  • Options
    Pitchfork51Pitchfork51 Member Posts: 26,583

SFGbob said:

*Solyndra

As am I.
    Always knew you had a weak constitution
  • Options
    SFGbobSFGbob Member Posts: 31,920
    Standard Supporter

SFGbob said:

*Solyndra

I think they'd be much more appalled at the belief that the Federal Government is responsible for people's healthcare.