Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Seattle's economic policies are creating bigger problems for residents

Comments

• Options
    Doog_de_JourDoog_de_Jour Member Posts: 7,958
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter

HHusky said:

HHusky said:

HHusky said:

when they could easily be better

We’re listening.
    ....Not shit in the streets?
    Which Seattle politician advocates people shit in the streets? I’m not voting for that.
    Bellevue doesn’t have shit all over their side walks. Why can’t we try what they’re doing?
    I guess I never realized what a nirvana Bellevue is. Why don't people from Bellevue agree?
    I pay like $7K or $8k a year in property taxes a year in Seattle as a home owner. I’ve got pot holes up the ying yang and bums camping within .25 miles of my home. Bellevue seems like Nirvana in comparison and I’d never thought I’d say that.
    Living in Bellevue isn’t Nirvana, it has its own set of problems, but I do appreciate the city government seems to have more common sense (at least for now). It’s my understanding that they leverage the existing system of religious organizations’ outreach programs and support for the homeless. Those programs put a big emphasis on getting people into people into permanent housing.

https://www.bellevuedowntown.com/post/recap-responding-to-homelessness-in-bellevue

Petty crime is also less tolerated (people here are freaked out about their home values going down).
  • Options
    Doog_de_JourDoog_de_Jour Member Posts: 7,958
    Standard Supporter
    2001400ex said:

Who in this thread has actually seen human shit on the street or sidewalks in Seattle?

I haven’t seen any human shit (though a friend of mine who just came back from San Francisco did), but I’ve seen people taking a piss on the sidewalks, used syringes/needles, used condoms, and various items covered in blood.
  • Options
    pawzpawz Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 19,006
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
    edited April 2019
    2001400ex said:

Who in this thread has actually seen human shit on the street or sidewalks in Seattle?

I have. As usual, you're wrong again.

I lived in Belltown for 3 years - next to a pea patch. Hi Harv!

One of the worst stories was walking down First, and seeing a homeless guy walking toward me and in mid-stride, unzip and start spraying the sidewalk. Didn't miss a step.

Unlike you who would have accepted the golden shower with glee, I moved far wide-right.

Thankfully, I now call West Bellevue home.
  • Options
    Pitchfork51Pitchfork51 Member Posts: 26,673
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    I was talking about San Francisco since someone mentioned all the super liberal west coast cities are heading down the same path.

Homeless and needles and whatnot falls into the same category. There's no need to get hung up on the shit.
  • Options
    2001400ex2001400ex Member Posts: 29,457

2001400ex said:

I haven’t seen any human shit (though a friend of mine who just came back from San Francisco did), but I’ve seen people taking a piss on the sidewalks, used syringes/needles, used condoms, and various items covered in blood.
    I don't live in downtown Seattle, but I'm there a couple times a year. While I don't doubt you've seen that. In all my years, I've never seen any of that in Seattle. That doesn't mean it doesn't exist, I just wonder if stories like this get overblown. Seattle is one of the most successful cities the last few years in terms of growth. Many young families moving into town and neighborhoods being rebuilt that were once ghettos.

I guess I'm saying, don't you think this is the "labor participation rate" of the 2010s expansion?
  • Options
    TurdBomberTurdBomber Member Posts: 19,780
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment

Seattle is a shit hole. Water is wet. So is Portland, San Francisco, Los Angeles, and the other 90% of the 100k+ populated cities along the west coast.

That’s Big Government for ya. And why the Dems are addicted to it.
  • Options

The worst argument the leftists have is "if it's so bad then why do people want to live there?" when talking about shit like this

1. It's a good location which no amount of political fuckery can change
    2. It's been developed over like 200 years and would take another hundred to really fuck up
    3. People are annoyed that leftist policies are actively making things worse when they could easily be better

Mostly agree, except on the timeline. Seattle’s deadbeat Democrats have ruined the City in less than a decade. Seriously. Nobody from the Neighborhoods go downtown anymore, other than to work.
  • Options

It's all solvable and these virtue signaling politicians don't do anything. That's why people get angry.

Stop handing out free shit and needles, or at least do it with a stipulation that you can't commit crime.

Actually enforce laws, or allow cops to. Sorry if you're homeless. I've been pour too at times. It doesn't give anyone a free pass.

The economic stuff is more complicated, but the head tax seems dumb. I don't have a problem with taxing the rich more in general

Billy, Billy, Billy....Stop with the rational thinking. In the mind of your far-Left Seattle Democrat, more drug addicts and homeless means more ammo in the war on Capitalism, which they suck at.
  • Options
    SFGbobSFGbob Member Posts: 31,922
    Standard Supporter

HHusky said:

USMChawk said:

HHusky said:

It's all solvable and these virtue signaling politicians don't do anything. That's why people get angry.

Stop handing out free shit and needles, or at least do it with a stipulation that you can't commit crime.

Actually enforce laws, or allow cops to. Sorry if you're homeless. I've been pour too at times. It doesn't give anyone a free pass.

The economic stuff is more complicated, but the head tax seems dumb. I don't have a problem with taxing the rich more in general

So just get tougher on people. I'm surprised no one thought of that.
    Holding people accountable to existing laws isn’t getting tougher on them, it’s enforcing a standard.
    Who should do it? The SPD can barely respond to anything that doesn't involve immediate injury anymore.

It's almost like some of you think more government is the answer, but that can't be true.
    If you actually watched the KOMO documentary, there was a lengthy segment on the hand cuffs (pun intended) that the Council has put on the SPD in enforcing the laws. The City Council doesn't want enforcement nor does the mayor.

Just another example of how the religious left forces their values on the rest of us.
  • Options
    Standard Supporter
    Baphomet said:

People in this thread bitching on shit on the sidewalks sound poor. There isn't any shit on the sidewalks in my neighborhood. The shit on the sidewalks is overblown. I walked around parts of DT Seattle for a meeting on Thursday -- didn't see any shit on the sidewalks there either.

To the people that want to try what Bellevue is trying... how about this. We move the King County jail from Seattle to Bellevue, so when all the drug users are released from jail -- they are released onto Bellevue's streets instead of Seattle's.

Oh, and Amazon isn't moving to Bellevue, they are relocating one or two groups there. They are still hiring in Seattle and I bet total headcount in Seattle will be larger than total headcount in Bellevue for the next 4 decades.

The software devs that live on the East Side live there because they aren't as good as the Software devs that live in Seattle.

Walk around San Francisco, especially around Market and Union Square on up to Market and Van Ness. There is shit everywhere.
  • Options
    UW_Doog_BotUW_Doog_Bot Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 14,521
    Swaye's Wigwam
    SFGbob said:

Baphomet said:

People in this thread bitching on shit on the sidewalks sound poor. There isn't any shit on the sidewalks in my neighborhood. The shit on the sidewalks is overblown. I walked around parts of DT Seattle for a meeting on Thursday -- didn't see any shit on the sidewalks there either.

To the people that want to try what Bellevue is trying... how about this. We move the King County jail from Seattle to Bellevue, so when all the drug users are released from jail -- they are released onto Bellevue's streets instead of Seattle's.

Oh, and Amazon isn't moving to Bellevue, they are relocating one or two groups there. They are still hiring in Seattle and I bet total headcount in Seattle will be larger than total headcount in Bellevue for the next 4 decades.

The software devs that live on the East Side live there because they aren't as good as the Software devs that live in Seattle.

Walk around San Francisco, especially around Market and Union Square on up to Market and Van Ness. There is shit everywhere.
    Ugh, traveling to SF next week. Not looking forward to navigating downtown with my kid in tow.
  • Options

SFGbob said:

Baphomet said:

Ugh, traveling to SF next week. Not looking forward to navigating downtown with my kid in tow.
    Dude really? I took my boy there 18 months ago. Walked all over downtown. Not only did I not see any human shit (Bob has been known to lie, like sitting in an ER full of illegals), I didn't see any needles or anything else.
  • Options
    USMChawkUSMChawk Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,796
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    2001400ex said:

I have. Next time you’re in Seattle walk around Pike Place Market and go down to the waterfront. If you want the full olfactory experience take the elevator. Careful where you step.

To be fair, I’ve seen human shit on the sidewalks in Detroit and along the boardwalk of Venice Beach, so Seattle is on par with those bastions of poverty and homelessness.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    2001400ex said:

SFGbob said:

Baphomet said:

Dude really? I took my boy there 18 months ago. Walked all over downtown. Not only did I not see any human shit (Bob has been known to lie, like sitting in an ER full of illegals), I didn't see any needles or anything else.
    My wife lived in the bay area when we first got together. I'm up there all of the time for work. I know exactly what I'm in for. And yes, needles, human feces, men with their dicks out in public harassing people, etc. I have seen all of that on my own. When it's just me I shrug it all off as I've lived in plenty of fucked up places. It's a bit different when you have a two year old daughter.

Yeah, Bob's the one who is known for lying in the tug...
  • Options
    USMChawkUSMChawk Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,796
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    2001400ex said:

SFGbob said:

Baphomet said:

If it’s such a nonissue why do they have a poop map?

https://www.dailywire.com/news/12001/san-francisco-requires-poop-maps-help-pedestrians-hank-berrien
  • Options
    USMChawk said:

2001400ex said:

SFGbob said:

Baphomet said:

https://www.dailywire.com/news/12001/san-francisco-requires-poop-maps-help-pedestrians-hank-berrien
    If it's such an issue, why are Seattle and San Fran downtown's thriving and home values some of the highest growing in the nation?
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    2001400ex said:

USMChawk said:

2001400ex said:

SFGbob said:

Baphomet said:

If it's such an issue, why are Seattle and San Fran downtown's thriving and home values some of the highest growing in the nation?
    Really?
  • Options
    Standard Supporter

SFGbob said:

Baphomet said:

If you stay down in the Financial District or in North Beach you'll see some bums but it's no where near as bad as the Mid-Market area. North of Market from 3rd Street West also isn't too bad. It's not bum free but is much better than the Mid-Market area. I was up there over the weekend two weeks back an it's was as bad as I've ever seen and I'm not some babe in the woods.
  • Options
    Standard Supporter
    edited April 2019
    Always rich when Hondo the pathological liar claims I'm lying. Weird how people have to take your word that I'm lying about illegals in the ER down here but all I have to do is quote your own words to prove you're a liar Hondo.

And it's a documented fact that Trump's team met with a Russian team to discuss giving DNC emails and Hillary emails to Trump.