Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Seattle's economic policies are creating bigger problems for residents

Comments

• Options
    HHuskyHHusky Member Posts: 19,472
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    I’m glad we found a fat guy from Ferndale to help us bitch about Seattle governance.
  • Options
    Doog_de_JourDoog_de_Jour Member Posts: 7,958
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    edited April 2019
    Sigh. Fox News. So much much bullshit, yet they’re not entirely wrong.

What will be interesting is if the problems Amazon and other companies are seeking to escape will follow them across the I-90 and 520 bridges. I live on the Eastside and see more homelessness, traffic, etc. than ever before. I would think policies would have to change to compensate for the greater strain on Bellevue’s infrastructure.
  • Options
    Seattle is a big city. Big cities have big city issues. They’re not for everyone.
  • Options
    greenbloodgreenblood Member Posts: 14,298
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment Combo Breaker
    HHusky said:

Seattle is a big city. Big cities have big city issues. They’re not for everyone.

Columbus Ohio disagrees
  • Options

HHusky said:

Columbus Ohio disagrees
    You have a constitutional right to move to Columbus, Ohio.
  • Options
    greenbloodgreenblood Member Posts: 14,298
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment Combo Breaker
    HHusky said:

HHusky said:

Columbus Ohio disagrees
    Yes I do. But way to deflect
  • Options

HHusky said:

HHusky said:

Columbus Ohio disagrees
    Yes I do. But way to deflect
    I think the point is that you don’t really want to live there. Who does?
  • Options
    YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 34,289
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Make Seattle Great Again!!
  • Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 42,281
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

Ban birds.

Ducks, cranes....not good.

Too soon?

• Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

Ban birds.

Ducks, cranes....not good.

Too soon?

I had to explain to a 5 year old yesterday the Duck boats sometimes sink if the water is too rough.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

Seattle is a shit hole. Water is wet. So is Portland, San Francisco, Los Angeles, and the other 90% of the 100k+ populated cities along the west coast.

But it’s our? shit hole!!
  • Options
    whlinderwhlinder Member Posts: 4,371
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment
    Standard Supporter

whlinder said:

HHusky said:

Columbus Ohio disagrees
    This is not a valid comparison. The class of cities Seattle is in is not Columbus Ohio or Eugene Oregon. Seattle's class is Boston/Philly/Atlanta/Dallas/Houston/Phoenix/Denver and it's not that different than NY/LA/CHI/DC+Balt/MIA/SF. Seattle is a global city with global connections. Global cities have problems with these things, which are accurately described in the video as "quality of life" crimes.

You would have thought SEA would have learned something when Boeing moved their HQ away. You would also have thought all these companies would have known that Seattle has been this way for a long time- look no further than the 1999 WTO riots. It's the same now as it was 20 years ago: big companies BAD! They're screwing the little people!

Most of these issues are wealth inequality problems. Seattle's instinct is ALWAYS to over-correct on the side of the poors. We all know that doesn't work long term cause OPM is never unlimited. It is also Seattle's instinct to not understand how business and economics actually work. Yeah Boeing, stop making planes cause they're bad for the environment, make electric buses! GTFOOH.
    That level of policy evaluation is not the responsibility of a local government.
    Yeah- I"m gonna go ahead and call bullshit. The Throbber has spent time in 'global cities' both in the US and internationally- at least half dozen since the first of the year. Hard to believe but at times the G&R Compound is a little remote and The throbber needs to get his culture on.

Those cities don't have absolute filth and feces and waste covering their sidewalks. Maybe some panhandlers here and there. But camping and tent cities and shit...fuck no. SF and Seattle are by far the worst. Not even close.

This is where I was going with my comment of Seattle always over correcting to the poors- not addressing problems of filth and drugs because of their misplaced policy focus. The core problem is still the same as those cities, they just handle it better.
  • Options

when they could easily be better

We’re listening.
  • Options
    Doog_de_JourDoog_de_Jour Member Posts: 7,958
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter

The worst argument the leftists have is "if it's so bad then why do people want to live there?" when talking about shit like this

1. It's a good location which no amount of political fuckery can change
    2. It's been developed over like 200 years and would take another hundred to really fuck up
    3. People are annoyed that leftist policies are actively making things worse when they could easily be better

Agreed. It’s the political equivalent of doogism. Beat (insert rival political party of your choosing), nothing else matters.
  • Options

HHusky said:

when they could easily be better

We’re listening.
    ....Not shit in the streets?
    Which Seattle politician advocates people shit in the streets? I’m not voting for that.