Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

NHL PLAYOFFS> NBA AND NFL PLAYOFFS

Comments

• Options
    PurpleJPurpleJ Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 36,496
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Cale Makar just scored on his debut. 3-0 Avs baby.

#myAvs
  • Options
    greenbloodgreenblood Member Posts: 14,278
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited April 2019
    What other team sport can you knock out a 19 year old punk kid, and get applauded? NHL is the best
  • Options
    Bad_MotherDuckerBad_MotherDucker Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,310
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    This had to be some Russian Mafia blood feud, cause the rook was way out of his weight class. Sure Ovi's not a fighter, but the rook is giving up 30 lbs. I'm pretty sure Tom Wilson has shown Ovi how to hold his own when shit gets real. And if you do challenge him, best to get a hold of his jersey at the outer shoulder and try to wrestle him to the ice. Standing toe to toe tossing haymakers is a bad idea

{Hockey fight superiority guy}
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    But seriously, in the nba you knock somebody out, you’re gone for half the season, same with the nfl. In baseball idk, but I’m sure it’s lengthy. In the NHL, you get a 5 min timeout.
  • Options
    FremontTrollFremontTroll Member Posts: 4,707
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment

But seriously, in the nba you knock somebody out, you’re gone for half the season, same with the nfl. In baseball idk, but I’m sure it’s lengthy. In the NHL, you get a 5 min timeout.

If you gave an NBA player a weapon and let them hit another player in the face with it how long would the suspension be?

• Options

If you gave an NBA player a weapon and let them hit another player in the face with it how long would the suspension be?

And that's about the biggest suspension you'll ever see. In the NBA, you get suspended for using profanity one too many times towards an official.

The only time I've seen a hockey player get penalized severely, was years ago when a player blind sided another player in open ice. Bertuzzi repeatedly pulled Moore's jersey to get Moore to turn around. And right when he did, Bertuzzi clobbered him (sucker punch). Moore suffered fractured vertebrae and a concussion, ending the up and coming players career in his rookie season. It wasn't all bad as Moore won a civil suit against Bertuzzi, his team, and the NHL for about $22 million dollars.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9mVBbe0Uf8I
  • Options
    BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,485
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club

NBA players are the worst fighters in all of sports. They punch like girls. Who was the last guy to get ko'd? Tomjanovich?
  • Options
    edited April 2019

NBA players are the worst fighters in all of sports. They punch like girls. Who was the last guy to get ko'd? Tomjanovich?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BI8nVJLHDMo

It was a pretty legit punch though
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,256
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    NHL players are white. NBA players are Black

Why do you think fans freak out about NBA fights? The Malice in the Palace gave people heart attacks
  • Options
    Bad_MotherDuckerBad_MotherDucker Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,310
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam

Call me a Neanderthal but shit like this is becoming more common because players feel the need to "retaliate" with their sticks, head shots, slewfoots, because other than the suspension there is no on ice deterrent. Enforcers kept this shit to a minimum cause if your enforcer got his ass handed to him due to shit you pulled, that didn't go over well in the locker room. The game today is too fast and skilled for the old goon role. Goons were typically stashed on the 4th line, but when you're on the road the other team gets to match their 1st line vs your 4th line. If you're the weak link, the 1st line will exploit that mercilessly and odds are that the puck will end up in the back of your own net.
  • Options
    edited April 2019

Why do you think fans freak out about NBA fights? The Malice in the Palace gave people heart attacks

That or it could be that there hasn't been a time when 3-4 hockey players rushed the stands and started playing live Street Fighter with the fans.
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,256
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam

That or it could be that there hasn't been a time when 3-4 hockey players rushed the stands and started playing live Street Fighter with the fans.
    Tough to do in skates but the penalty box fights are special

The NBA fight was in Detroit. The players needed protection from the fans

• Options

Call me a Neanderthal but shit like this is becoming more common because players feel the need to "retaliate" with their sticks, head shots, slewfoots, because other than the suspension there is no on ice deterrent. Enforcers kept this shit to a minimum cause if your enforcer got his ass handed to him due to shit you pulled, that didn't go over well in the locker room. The game today is too fast and skilled for the old goon role. Goons were typically stashed on the 4th line, but when you're on the road the other team gets to match their 1st line vs your 4th line. If you're the weak link, the 1st line will exploit that mercilessly and odds are that the puck will end up in the back of your own net.
    Yeah, you're a Neanderthal. There has always been dirty play. Nobody can provide any data or evidence to support fighters having a deterrent effect.

Sign me up for more roster spots for skilled players. I don't need to watch professional hockey players that can't skate or handle a puck.
  • Options
    Also the role of enforcer may be the most mentally and physically damaging in sports.

Of the two fighters I grew up rooting for one is dead from overdose and the other is homeless and was missing for 10 years.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Derek_Boogaard
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matt_Johnson_(ice_hockey)
  • Options

Yeah, you're a Neanderthal. There has always been dirty play. Nobody can provide any data or evidence to support fighters having a deterrent effect.

Sign me up for more roster spots for skilled players. I don't need to watch professional hockey players that can't skate or handle a puck.
    Disagree

There's always room for one goon on every team
  • Options

Also the role of enforcer may be the most mentally and physically damaging in sports.

Of the two fighters I grew up rooting for one is dead from overdose and the other is homeless and was missing for 10 years.

Causation

Did being a goon lead them to this lifestyle, or were they predisposed to this kind of lifestyle, and thus fit in as a hockey goon?
  • Options

Causation

Did being a goon lead them to this lifestyle, or were they predisposed to this kind of lifestyle, and thus fit in as a hockey goon?
    Causation? Fucking LOL man. Goons become goons because they are big and not skilled enough and it is the only way to keep the NHL dream alive. Both those guys quit before the age of 30 because the lifestyle of a goon in the NHL FUCKING SUCKS.

Boogaard's brain exam showed advanced CTE. Johnson grew up on an apple farm with a completely normal loving family that has been trying to track him down on the streets of LA for the last 10 years. Absolutely no risk factors.

You'd be way better off arguing sample size but then I would just have to get more examples.
  • Options

Causation

Causation? Fucking LOL man. Goons become goons because they are big and not skilled enough and it is the only way to keep the NHL dream alive. Both those guys quit before the age of 30 because the lifestyle of a goon in the NHL FUCKING SUCKS.

Boogaard's brain exam showed advanced CTE. Johnson grew up on an apple farm with a completely normal loving family that has been trying to track him down on the streets of LA for the last 10 years. Absolutely no risk factors.

You'd be way better off arguing sample size but then I would just have to get more examples.
    Today's players know the risks. If they still choose to be bruisers that's on them.
  • Options

Disagree

There's always room for one goon on every team
    Do the Colorado Avs have room to add Cale Makar if they have to roster a goon? They are already at 7 D to 11 F.

31 goons means 31 less spots for actual players to crack a lineup.

Its simlar to the trend of having multiple scoring lines. How many William Karlsson's languished in the early 2000s because they were made to play on "checking" lines instead of given a chance to shine.