Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Great News!

Comments

• Options
    BennyBeaverBennyBeaver Member Posts: 13,333
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Here’s my other face

• Options
    BennyBeaverBennyBeaver Member Posts: 13,333
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
  • Options
    Doog_de_JourDoog_de_Jour Member Posts: 7,958
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    edited February 2019

I agree with @Swaye, no shame in the Apple Watch. My brother loves his.

Oh, and I like the Mickey Mouse face. Of the vintage pieces I have this is oddly enough the one I get complemented on the most:

Another grade school purchase (I think with babysitting money). I keep it for the nostalgia factor. Not sure why so many other people like it...maybe it’s the quirkiness of it.
  • Options
    Standard Supporter
    Swaye said:

Apple Watch 3

Flame away.

Hey, I am not some elitist prick here my brother. I like Apple Watches. You know, tons of the rich fucks I know who have killer 60K watch collections with 4 Rolexes and 3 Omegas also have one of those uber G Shocks and or an Apple watch. Particularly people who like rock climbing, or jogging, or other intense "oh shit I just broke the crystal on my 8K Zenith FML" folks have what are affectionately called "beaters." Nobody wants to run in a 10K Rolex unless you wipe your ass with 100's. As a beater watch I have a sub thousand dollar Hamilton that I love.
    Yeah, it’s odd that sometimes the beaters are the most trendy, even with the well to do. I remember when everyone loved the Timex Ironman (gotta have that Indiglow!)

Fitbits also were big recently, but I don’t see people wearing them as much anymore.
  • Options
    SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,060
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club

Swaye said:

Apple Watch 3

Flame away.

Hey, I am not some elitist prick here my brother. I like Apple Watches. You know, tons of the rich fucks I know who have killer 60K watch collections with 4 Rolexes and 3 Omegas also have one of those uber G Shocks and or an Apple watch. Particularly people who like rock climbing, or jogging, or other intense "oh shit I just broke the crystal on my 8K Zenith FML" folks have what are affectionately called "beaters." Nobody wants to run in a 10K Rolex unless you wipe your ass with 100's. As a beater watch I have a sub thousand dollar Hamilton that I love.
    Yeah, it’s odd that sometimes the beaters are the most trendy, even with the well to do. I remember when everyone loved the Timex Ironman (gotta have that Indiglow!)

Fitbits also were big recently, but I don’t see people wearing them as much anymore.
    Nobody wants to wear something that constantly reminds them they are not exercising enough and are becoming a fat ass.

Do you have any super nice ladies watches?

JLC Reverso perhaps?

• Options
    Founders Club
    edited February 2019
    That is a bad ass watch. You should save your nickles and get that one day.

edit: Just found one used at Crown and Caliber for less than 5K. A deal. I am sure you have that kind of coin in between couch cushions.

Item No. 10-10-ROL-7V48HF
  • Options
    LebamDawgLebamDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 8,534
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I actually love most of those watches - but being on some property, having animals, etc. I can't have a nice watch. So I go cheap because I am rough on them.

Came back from the dump one day and Mrs. Lebam noticed my watch was missing - slid off I guess when I was emptying the back of the truck. Told the other stories in the other threads.

I have caught the battery terminals on my watches, and my wedding ring, am too stooped to remember to take them off. I do have an old, gold pocket watch that was my grandfather's if I think about it I might take a pix and post it. If I can find it.
  • Options
    Standard Supporter
    Pocket watches are awesome @LebamDawg. I wish those and fedoras came back into fashion.
  • Options
    creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,741
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic
    Swaye said:

Gentleman’s Gazette presented by Yella Piss’s Record Shoppe

The website The Art of Manliness (which I really enjoy reading actually) has some great articles on watches if you boys want to beef up on the subject before @Swaye poasts about his next piece.

https://www.artofmanliness.com/category/dress-grooming/watches/
    That is awesome! Thanks chica!
    I laffed.
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    Swaye said:

Swaye said:

@Doog_de_Jour also I LOVE JLC. Never been a huge fan of Cartier, but though most would assume as a luxury jewelry maker they don't make a good watch, you would be mistaken. They are actually full in house production movements on many of their models. Really well made watches. The looks have just never appealed to me, but lots of folks love them.

JLC is a super interesting brand....from a horological perspective they are the bar. Guess who the only manufacturer Patek ever sourced a movement from? Yep, JLC. I mean fuck, Patek! 90% of the world doesn't know what Patek is, but they make Rolex look like Seiko, and do almost ALL of thier own movements, but int he past, when they have needed a specific complication and didn't want to tool up to build it themselves, they went to JLC. Fantastic watches. Wish they held their value better. But the value proposition is a thread unto itself i may actually tackle one day if there is enough interest from our little knitting circle of watch nerds.

Yeah, Cartiers are a lot like the handbags of watches...you’re paying for the name and the design. Not that they’re bad watches! Just not the best.

That’s impressive about Patek sourcing from JLC! I think most people don’t know about Patek as there’s no way they could afford them. They’d rather drop that cash on a car.
    Yeah, people think dropping 8-40K on a Rolex is something...40K is damn near where Patek starts (I mean they have lots of 25-30K sport watches and their "low end" dress watches), but really, Patek starts at 40K and goes up from there. I will likely never own one.

The watch I am trying to get right now is 13K, and I am trying to negotiate a trade of two watches, plus cash, to get it. This will be the most expensive watch I have ever owned. And it's like pennies compared to the true high end world. Rich fuckers.
    That's some dough bra. You're going to have to kill a lot of mother fuckin' bugs.

I wonder ... what kind of watch @Sledog goes for?
  • Options
    HuskyJWHuskyJW Guest, Member Posts: 14,182
    Wait....Swaye can't just look up at the sky and tell what time it is?
  • Options
    HuskyJW said:

Wait....Swaye can't just look up at the sky and tell what time it is?

Yes, he can.

Abundance.
  • Options
    Swaye said:

Swaye said:

Swaye said:

@Doog_de_Jour also I LOVE JLC. Never been a huge fan of Cartier, but though most would assume as a luxury jewelry maker they don't make a good watch, you would be mistaken. They are actually full in house production movements on many of their models. Really well made watches. The looks have just never appealed to me, but lots of folks love them.

JLC is a super interesting brand....from a horological perspective they are the bar. Guess who the only manufacturer Patek ever sourced a movement from? Yep, JLC. I mean fuck, Patek! 90% of the world doesn't know what Patek is, but they make Rolex look like Seiko, and do almost ALL of thier own movements, but int he past, when they have needed a specific complication and didn't want to tool up to build it themselves, they went to JLC. Fantastic watches. Wish they held their value better. But the value proposition is a thread unto itself i may actually tackle one day if there is enough interest from our little knitting circle of watch nerds.

Yeah, Cartiers are a lot like the handbags of watches...you’re paying for the name and the design. Not that they’re bad watches! Just not the best.

That’s impressive about Patek sourcing from JLC! I think most people don’t know about Patek as there’s no way they could afford them. They’d rather drop that cash on a car.
    Yeah, people think dropping 8-40K on a Rolex is something...40K is damn near where Patek starts (I mean they have lots of 25-30K sport watches and their "low end" dress watches), but really, Patek starts at 40K and goes up from there. I will likely never own one.

The watch I am trying to get right now is 13K, and I am trying to negotiate a trade of two watches, plus cash, to get it. This will be the most expensive watch I have ever owned. And it's like pennies compared to the true high end world. Rich fuckers.
    That's some dough bra. You're going to have to kill a lot of mother fuckin' bugs.

I wonder ... what kind of watch @Sledog goes for?

Nailed it.
  • Options
    SledogSledog Member Posts: 30,655
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Traser Titanium with tritium vials. That's as expensive as I go. I destroy watches. I have a few watches from my dad and grandfather. A couple Omegas one with diamonds. So I can go out in style.
  • Options
    YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,864
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Ok, now I want the Yacht Master. I don't even own a Yacht.

• Options
    Founders Club
    edited February 2019

Ok, now I want the Yacht Master. I don't even own a Yacht.

You could pull it off too. You are a big guy. That's a 44MM watch, and on me would look like I was trying out for the new cast of Jersey Shore, but would look perfect on you. Plus the obvious row boat tie in. The nice thing about the Yacht Master is, while popular, it doesn't go for big bucks ABOVE MSRP. Right now if you want two of the three bezels on a GMT Master, any Submariner (one in particular), any Daytona, or any Skydweller you will pay 30-100% above MSRP to get one. Or, you can get on a waiting list at an AD. Average wait time for an MSRP Daytona sits at about 8 years right now. So, if you want one, shell out 23K, or wait 8 years to get it for 12.5K. Great.

The Yacht Master, along with the Sea Dweller, Milgauss and Explorer are the best deals going right now in Rolex because they are awesome watches, and you can actually get them at or near MSRP.

Here is a sweet 2006 vintage YM for sale at another place. There have been some really cool color combos over the years.

IMHO never buy a second hand Rolex that doesn't have box and papers (warranty card). You will pay a premium for those, but it matters greatly to the value of the watch long term.
  • Options
    Founders Club
    @LebamDawg I am liking all the chins amigo. Consider your penance served. FUCK YEAH!
  • Options
    LebamDawgLebamDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 8,534
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    whoopie di fucking do