Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Great News!

SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,143
First Anniversary Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
Founders Club
I am working on a deal with my watch guy for a pretty hard to get piece. If I manage to get it, I will feature it in next months watch piece.

@LebamDawg

Comments

• Options
    LebamDawgLebamDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 8,577
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I am f'ing excited
  • Options
    YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 34,299
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Gentleman’s Gazette presented by Yella Piss’s Record Shoppe
  • Options
    LebamDawgLebamDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 8,577
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam

The website The Art of Manliness (which I really enjoy reading actually) has some great articles on watches if you boys want to beef up on the subject before @Swaye poasts about his next piece.

https://www.artofmanliness.com/category/dress-grooming/watches/
    Was that aimed at me the watch novice? Cruel, if true @Doog_de_Jour
  • Options
    Doog_de_JourDoog_de_Jour Member Posts: 7,958
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    LebamDawg said:

The website The Art of Manliness (which I really enjoy reading actually) has some great articles on watches if you boys want to beef up on the subject before @Swaye poasts about his next piece.

Was that aimed at me the watch novice? Cruel, if true @Doog_de_Jour
    Not at all. We’ve never assessed your watch expertise...you could be Rolex repairman for all I know.
  • Options
    YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 34,299
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited February 2019
    In other great news, my Rolex perpetual appears to only be about 4 secs fast per day. So perhaps not magnetized after all.

#deferredwatchjiffylube
  • Options
    Founders Club

That is awesome! Thanks chica!
  • Options
    Founders Club
    edited February 2019

In other great news, my Rolex perpetual appears to only be about 4 secs fast per day. So perhaps not magnetized after all.

#deferredwatchjiffylube

Oh man, you are all set then. Rolex has a reputation for being bulletproof. I wish my entire collection could be Rolex one day....but there is a whole discussion to be had around the hyper inflated prices on current Rolexes, and how hard it would be to establish a collection of Rolexes with current pricing - unless you are rich bitch! Maybe that would make for a fine addition to the Yella Gentleman's Gazette one day...
  • Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 60,710
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    Swaye said:

I am working on a deal with my watch guy for a pretty hard to get piece. If I manage to get it, I will feature it in next months watch piece.

@LebamDawg

@GrundleStiltzkin
  • Options
    GilbystaintGilbystaint Member Posts: 1,061
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

The Art of Manliness? This was all we needed in the day my dear friend.
  • Options
    Standard Supporter
    In all seriousness, I actually read all of your watch threads @Swaye because I’ve always loved men’s time pieces. Last women’s watch I owned (no joke) was the original Swatch “jelly fish” in grade school. Here’s a pick for you youngsters who were but a gleam in your mother’s eye when Swatch was big:

So Eighties!

I love the look of this Jaegar LeCoultre:

Or a Cartier:

• Options
    Founders Club
    @Doog_de_Jour also I LOVE JLC. Never been a huge fan of Cartier, but though most would assume as a luxury jewelry maker they don't make a good watch, you would be mistaken. They are actually full in house production movements on many of their models. Really well made watches. The looks have just never appealed to me, but lots of folks love them.

JLC is a super interesting brand....from a horological perspective they are the bar. Guess who the only manufacturer Patek ever sourced a movement from? Yep, JLC. I mean fuck, Patek! 90% of the world doesn't know what Patek is, but they make Rolex look like Seiko, and do almost ALL of thier own movements, but int he past, when they have needed a specific complication and didn't want to tool up to build it themselves, they went to JLC. Fantastic watches. Wish they held their value better. But the value proposition is a thread unto itself i may actually tackle one day if there is enough interest from our little knitting circle of watch nerds.
  • Options
    Standard Supporter
    Swaye said:

In all seriousness, I actually read all of your watch threads @Swaye because I’ve always loved men’s time pieces. Last women’s watch I owned (no joke) was the original Swatch “jelly fish” in grade school. Here’s a pick for you youngsters who were but a gleam in your mother’s eye when Swatch was big:

So Eighties!

Or a Cartier:

Be still my beating heart. I knew there were some folks out here who actually liked watches. They just didn't want to out themselves on a football board (not you but others). For some odd reason many think it isn't manly or some such shit? I kill my own dinner, and ride motorcycles and go off-roading and love football and all this other "manly" shit, and I love watches. And to be fair, the coolest dudes ever pretty much all loved watches. High end ones.

Steve McQueen with a Submariner in Bullitt (he was first know for earlier wearing TAG Monaco's)

Paul Newman and his Rolex Daytona (most expensive watch ever at auction btw - 17 million)

JFK famously wore Omegas. Charles Lindburgh famously wore Longines. Sir Edmund Hillary summited Everest wearing a Rolex Explorer. Neil Armstrong walked on the moon in an Omega Speedmaster. Chuck Yeagar broke the speed of sound wearing a Rolex Oyster.

And who could forget Sean Connery as Bond wearing a Rolex Submariner in almost all of his films.

To be fair, most all the modern Bonds have worn Omega. And those kick ass too (except Pierce Brosnan fuck that guy).

Anyway, no reason to think loving a kick ass watch is anything other than manly as shit. I got deer blood all over my Breitling Chronomat this year while skinning it out. That's just bad ass. 6K watch covered in deer blood. 'Merica!
    I was giddy reading this. Three of the hotness men ever and hawt watch talk. Pure bliss.

I will never for the life of me understand men who think elegance and class aren’t manly. Some of the TUFFEST dudes I know wear beautiful tailored suits and spend more on shoes than a lot of women.

Speaking of James Bond, his watch game wasn’t always on point. He wore some pretty cheap looking Seikos during the Moore years (I don’t care how many cool gadgets Q added, they looked awful).

https://www.thrillist.com/gear/iconic-james-bond-watches-ranked

I’ll admit my love of Omegas comes from Bond. This Omega Seamaster is gorgeous:

• Options
    Standard Supporter
    Swaye said:

@Doog_de_Jour also I LOVE JLC. Never been a huge fan of Cartier, but though most would assume as a luxury jewelry maker they don't make a good watch, you would be mistaken. They are actually full in house production movements on many of their models. Really well made watches. The looks have just never appealed to me, but lots of folks love them.

JLC is a super interesting brand....from a horological perspective they are the bar. Guess who the only manufacturer Patek ever sourced a movement from? Yep, JLC. I mean fuck, Patek! 90% of the world doesn't know what Patek is, but they make Rolex look like Seiko, and do almost ALL of thier own movements, but int he past, when they have needed a specific complication and didn't want to tool up to build it themselves, they went to JLC. Fantastic watches. Wish they held their value better. But the value proposition is a thread unto itself i may actually tackle one day if there is enough interest from our little knitting circle of watch nerds.

Yeah, Cartiers are a lot like the handbags of watches...you’re paying for the name and the design. Not that they’re bad watches! Just not the best.

That’s impressive about Patek sourcing from JLC! I think most people don’t know about Patek as there’s no way they could afford them. They’d rather drop that cash on a car.
  • Options
    Founders Club

Swaye said:

So Eighties!

Or a Cartier:

Be still my beating heart. I knew there were some folks out here who actually liked watches. They just didn't want to out themselves on a football board (not you but others). For some odd reason many think it isn't manly or some such shit? I kill my own dinner, and ride motorcycles and go off-roading and love football and all this other "manly" shit, and I love watches. And to be fair, the coolest dudes ever pretty much all loved watches. High end ones.

Steve McQueen with a Submariner in Bullitt (he was first know for earlier wearing TAG Monaco's)

Paul Newman and his Rolex Daytona (most expensive watch ever at auction btw - 17 million)

JFK famously wore Omegas. Charles Lindburgh famously wore Longines. Sir Edmund Hillary summited Everest wearing a Rolex Explorer. Neil Armstrong walked on the moon in an Omega Speedmaster. Chuck Yeagar broke the speed of sound wearing a Rolex Oyster.

And who could forget Sean Connery as Bond wearing a Rolex Submariner in almost all of his films.

To be fair, most all the modern Bonds have worn Omega. And those kick ass too (except Pierce Brosnan fuck that guy).

Anyway, no reason to think loving a kick ass watch is anything other than manly as shit. I got deer blood all over my Breitling Chronomat this year while skinning it out. That's just bad ass. 6K watch covered in deer blood. 'Merica!
    I was giddy reading this. Three of the hotness men ever and hawt watch talk. Pure bliss.

I will never for the life of me understand men who think elegance and class aren’t manly. Some of the TUFFEST dudes I know wear beautiful tailored suits and spend more on shoes than a lot of women.

Speaking of James Bond, his watch game wasn’t always on point. He wore some pretty cheap looking Seikos during the Moore years (I don’t care how many cool gadgets Q added, they looked awful).

https://www.thrillist.com/gear/iconic-james-bond-watches-ranked

I’ll admit my love of Omegas comes from Bond. This Omega Seamaster is gorgeous:

Yeah, during the "Quartz" crisis of the 70's-early 80's the Swiss lost their shit, and so did everyone else. We got to see shit tier Seiko's in Bond flicks. FML. Most of the big watch makers went bankrupt, which is why there are so few truly independent watch houses left. Swatch owns 2/3rds of the industry, and Richemont owns almost the balance of what's left. Then you have a bunch of small independent makers nobody has ever heard of (like the NOMOS I showed to kick this whole watch thing off), and of course Rolex and Patek (and Cartier). Tudor is still owned by Rolex, and even last year mighty Breitling got bought out by a consortium. Omega has been owned by Swatch for years.

Anyway, it's those goddamn quartz Seikos that did it.

Funny we are talking Omega. I have owned two. Currently have one on the winder. The deal I am trying to broker right now would actually include the one Omega I have left, and my last Breitling.
  • Options
    Founders Club

Swaye said:

Yeah, Cartiers are a lot like the handbags of watches...you’re paying for the name and the design. Not that they’re bad watches! Just not the best.

That’s impressive about Patek sourcing from JLC! I think most people don’t know about Patek as there’s no way they could afford them. They’d rather drop that cash on a car.
    Yeah, people think dropping 8-40K on a Rolex is something...40K is damn near where Patek starts (I mean they have lots of 25-30K sport watches and their "low end" dress watches), but really, Patek starts at 40K and goes up from there. I will likely never own one.

The watch I am trying to get right now is 13K, and I am trying to negotiate a trade of two watches, plus cash, to get it. This will be the most expensive watch I have ever owned. And it's like pennies compared to the true high end world. Rich fuckers.
  • Options
    BennyBeaverBennyBeaver Member Posts: 13,346
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Apple Watch 3

Flame away.
  • Options
    Founders Club

Apple Watch 3

Flame away.

Hey, I am not some elitist prick here my brother. I like Apple Watches. You know, tons of the rich fucks I know who have killer 60K watch collections with 4 Rolexes and 3 Omegas also have one of those uber G Shocks and or an Apple watch. Particularly people who like rock climbing, or jogging, or other intense "oh shit I just broke the crystal on my 8K Zenith FML" folks have what are affectionately called "beaters." Nobody wants to run in a 10K Rolex unless you wipe your ass with 100's. As a beater watch I have a sub thousand dollar Hamilton that I love.